SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
needsometips08

Countertop taste changing in in the middle of the reno!

needsometips08
14 years ago

Countertops have been my #1 headache in this reno. It's the one area that hubby and I couldn't seem to agree when we were granite shopping. He liked stuff like Bianco Antiquo (sp?), and I liked calmer stuff like Colonial Gold.

I wasn't keen at all during the granite shopping (which lasted about 6 months and probably 35 hours total) on the idea of Quartz cause it was "so boring" as I thought of it then.

We finally found some Golden Beaches with unusual movement and markings that hubby fell head over heels for it and I thought was really pretty - it felt very earthy and I loved the feel. Since it was the first consensus we'd encountered, we jumped on it - we got 3 tiny slabs as all the slabs in this unusual lot were small. It's half paid for and sitting at the fabricators now, waiting to be installed sometime early Feb.

And every day I hope I don't get sick of it and wonder if I just should have picked quartz. I think uniformly colored countertops date themselves much better and don't tire the eyes. Quartz also would have been less expensive and just a safer choice all the way around. I don't really like Giallo Ornamental or Santa Celia, and I am worried I will end up feeling the same way about the busy Golden Beaches after time. Maybe not, it doesn't have the uniform spottyness that GO and SC have.

I also am also wondering if my cabinets will be too busy to withstand a busy granite. They are birch and use a special technique that is mostly just natural stain, but some stain just a shade darker than natural - so I wonder if it will end up with too many busy elements.

However, it is what it is, and I am just keeping a positive attitude and hoping. I know I don't hate it. Here is one of the slabs - they all look very similiar - none of the doors are mine - and you can see a "normal" sized slab behind it:

I change my mind about everything and I really feel like I've used up my "free passes" for mind chaging so I can't do much about it now unless we encounter a big problem (which we might - we bumped out the window and I told the granite guy it was going to be bumped out 6" not accounting for the existing normal 5"....so my total sill is 11", not 6" like I told him! Whoops! Maybe I will be "forced" to pick something else!)

Has anyone had one detail like this that they just wonder how it's going to turn out? Did it turn out OK?

Comments (11)