SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimiko232_gw

Wood Countertops. Good idea?

kimiko232
15 years ago

Hi,

I'm a long time lurker. We are doing a minor tuneup of our smaller kitchen. White cabinets (which are pickled maple- someone actually paid extra to have them pickeled in the late 90s [yes, the late, late 90s]), stainless appliances, and either cup pulls or something similar. Will be adding some beadboard around the edges of the cabinets (U shaped kitchen with seating). We also have oak floors, super cute against the pink cabs. The house is really traditional late 70s- early 80s.

My husband is convinced that we should do a corian (or a cheap granite). I'm trying to push him into something cheaper and more natural. By the way, the majority of the houses in this neighborhood have laminate or corian.

I like the look of wood countertops (thanks to you guys). My husband is against it. Can you give me some good information on it? Is it bad for resale value? Will it look too country? Would most people be put off by it vs. a corian or something similar if we eventually sold. He'd and I would like an undermount sink. I've seen some undermounts and heard the good things about waterlox. But, I know he will complain about that. I just need to be armed with really good information on wood. :)

Thanks for any info you guys can give. Now, I know you guys have good taste, which might be a problem. Try to put yourself into the form of a boring early 30's dad with a toddler, who likes the pickled cabinets and hate, hates change. I still haven't figured out how I'm going to paint the cabinets without him knowing yet. :) How could your wife change your mind on countertops?

By the way, I will most likely be going to just Lumber liquidators. Wish I could afford those gorgeous walnuts with ogee edges, luscious marbles, or delightful soapstone that everyone else seems to have. I would have to get a real job and not be a SAHM. Not ready for that! :)

Thanks for any help!

Kim

Comments (28)