SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
claire_de_luna

Corn Fritters with Cheddar and Chives

claire_de_luna
16 years ago

I was inspired to make these today after watching America's Test Kitchen this morning and finding beautiful fresh corn at the market. I had a lot of trouble with them popping in the oil on top of the stove, so I decided to heat some oil on a sheetpan, and try browning them in the oven instead. We liked the baked version better, since they were more evenly browned, I was out of the way of popping oil and I didn't have to flip them. You can see I had a little trouble getting them perfectly round, but I was tired of experimenting by then after getting stung by hot oil and didn't try very hard for beautiful fritters. Despite this, these turned out to be incredibly good and I think they would make a fantastic warm appetizer for a party. I actually got quite a few more than 12 fritters, using a tablespoon. I changed the amount of oil, since baking them takes less than frying, and used the convection feature on my oven so the tops would brown as well. They are topped with a tiny dollop of sour cream and chives; I will definitely be making these tasty morsels again!

{{gwi:1542294}}

Corn Fritters with Cheddar and Chives

Makes 12 fritters

1-1/2 pounds fresh corn (2 large or 3 to 4 medium ears)

Remove husks and silks

1 large egg, beaten lightly

3 tablespoons all-purpose flour

2 tablespoons cornmeal

2 tablespoons heavy cream

1 small shallot, minced

1/2 teaspoon table salt

pinch cayenne pepper

1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese

2 tablespoons minced fresh chives

1 teaspoon Dijon mustard

1/4 cup corn or vegetable oil

Using a chef's knife, cut kernels from 1 to 2 ears corn and place in bowl (you should have about 1 cup whole kernels. Grate kernels from remaining 1 to 2 ears on large holes of box grater (you should have generous 1/2 cup grated kernels) into bowl with cut kernels. Using back of knife, scrape any pulp remaining on all cobs into bowl. Stir in egg, flour, cornmeal, cream, shallot, salt, cayenne, cheese, chives and mustard to form a thick batter.

Heat 1/4 cup of oil on a half-sheet pan to 350 degrees. Remove from oven and drop tablespoons of corn batter onto hot pan; return to the oven. Bake until evenly browned on the bottom, and starting to turn golden brown on the top.

Comments (13)