SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
clubcracker

How to furnish the 'library' of our 1750's house?

clubcracker
12 years ago

Well, we moved into this house and the holidays hit 3 weeks later so it was all I could do to get rid of enough boxes to set up the tree in this, my favorite, room.

This house is smaller than any we've had before but somehow we've got the opportunity to have a 100% screen-free (no computer, no TV) room and it has all these great built ins, so we have dubbed it the library. Though it would have been the keeping room of the original house - see the big fireplace - door on the left conceals the old oven.

I painted the top part of the walls with milk paint (buttermilk) and plan to strip some of the wainscot / fireplace areas to see what the wood is like underneath before deciding whether to paint (or leave natural).

So basically we have this good sized, l-shaped room with a loveseat and antique rug (in front of the loveseat). I tossed down the red/beige rug just for warmth sake but I'm not attached to it.

We are a family of 3 so I'd like to have seating for at least 4-6 to allow for occasional guests. Just not sure what pieces / how to lay them out.

I admitted in the epiphany thread that I'm awful at accessorizing, if you couldn't tell from the mantels. :)

Suggestions on how to lay this room out, to get some more seating and make it a cozier reading space, greatly appreciated!

From the hall:

Just inside the door:

Looking back at the hall door/ smaller hearth:

Looking toward the big fireplace, from the same corner:

From the corner by the hearths - note the front door and stairway.

From the stairs:

Comments (24)