SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joan_ollendorf

How to decorate a new home using my current decor and furnishings

Joanie123
2 years ago

I know this is a long post but would greatly appreciate any assistance from those of you who are willing to read this, so thanks in advance!!

We will be building a new Craftsman-style home with rooms that will be larger and more separate than in my existing home. I love my current furnishings, and thought I could basically move them up there and fill in with a few new pieces to duplicate the look I have, but I realize now it’s not that simple. (Please see photos below.)

Our current home is furnished with Craftsman touches and the great room, dining room and kitchen are all open to each other, so it was fairly easy to coordinate things and tie them together (such the colors of the accent wall of the alcove dining room with the green chair, deep green tiles in the fireplace, throw pillows, and the rug which I love). I want to basically duplicate this look in our new home but now I realize I can’t do the same thing because the new great room and separate dining room won’t be next to each other. Also, the dining room will have knee walls and tapered Craftsman pillars that will further separate it. The rug in front of the fireplace, I fear, will be too small (it’s 5 x 7) in the new great room, and I cannot find it in a larger size since it has since been discontinued. The furniture and rugs I have are Craftsman style but I’m afraid they may be too small to fill the new space. All hardwood floors (medium tone) will link the new great room,, dining room, and kitchen.

Some questions:

1. If I want to use the 5 x 7 rug (because I love it) in front of the mantle can I layer it over a bigger rug to make the sitting area appear larger (with existing couch, chair, rocker, and tables)? If so, what color would look good under this multicolored rug?

2. Since the dining room is now to the right and set back by itself, should I paint the fireplace wall an accent color like the green that was in the dining room alcove of my existing home to pick up the greens in the living room furniture as before?

3. What color would now look good in the dining room? Not sure whether we are doing stained or white beams, with white trim and paneling, so I could do a half the wall with a color. Gold, green again, or something else that works with the great room colors and the kitchen (which will likely have the same tone wood as the mantle and floors.

4. What size and color rug would look good in the dining room? Room is 16 x 10 and the table is 66” x 36” unopened with 4 chairs. Small hutch will go on the right wall and is 45” x 19” deep.

4. Would appreciate any suggestions for furniture layout in the great room. I did a quick sketch of one scenario.

Thanks again for any help!

Comments (23)