SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
claire_de_luna

The Zen of Food Preparation

claire_de_luna
13 years ago

I spent an afternoon coring, washing and cutting 10 pounds of strawberries to put away in my freezer. (Sam's Club had their Driscoll organic strawberries and raspberries in the store; they were beautiful. No dirty dozen there!)

I started thinking about food preparation (which I seem to do a lot of in quantity), and wondered why for me, it's almost a zen experience. My sister, on the other hand, whips through meal preparation like she's killing cats. (What an expression! It's descriptive though isn't it?) I remember the first time we barbecued ribs together, I discovered she didn't remove the silverskin, whereas I always do. She would never take the time to core strawberries, where I prefer to eat the best part of the fruit. (Especially if the berry isn't perfection, as so many of them are. I mean, REALLY ;). Would you eat the core of a strawberry by itself and deem it any good? Please don't take offense if you eat the whole thing! If you do, I'm sure you think it's delicious.)

A friend of mine invited us to her house for dinner recently and she was making a parfait with yogurt, complaining it was much better with vanilla yogurt. (Her husband didn't pick up the right kind by mistake. Isn't it simply nicer to just add vanilla, than complain about your husband who did the shopping?) I guess I was thinking about the difference in time, and what seems like a big hassle to them, is really only a matter of minutes. To me, adding an extra step or spending a few more minutes can make a big difference between just an okay dish and a really good one. I mean, how long would it really take to add vanilla to yogurt? The silverskin on a rack of ribs only takes 5 minutes to remove, and that's if it's acting stubborn. (It peels right off if it's removed from the short side to the long. Of course you'd have to had removed it to KNOW that!) As far as I know, my sister doesn't make cheesecake, as one needs to plan ahead. I remember rolling out dough for cinnamon rolls (our grandmother's recipe), and she was very impatient with me. I didn't know why, as I was the one making them! I was getting into the texture of the dough, and enjoying the process whereas she's always in a toot to Get It DONE. She did introduce me to pressure cooking, so I appreciate her methods for some things! I don't much want to do it though if I can't enjoy the process.

I guess I take a more meditative approach when I'm cooking...I don't want to hurry. There are always some kind of leftovers if you just have to eat! The thing is, I don't just want to eat...I want the food to be as good as I can make it. I also want guests to feel welcome. The dishes can always wait, and I don't want anyone to be flustered, least of all Me!

So which one are you? Do you prefer the zen of cooking, or is it ''hurry up and get it done''?

Comments (25)