SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cate1337

Feedback on my lighting plan (x-posted to kitchens)

cate1337
16 years ago

I'm trying to work out a lighting plan and am hoping some of you will have time to give me some feedback. I am way over my head in lighting. When I went to a store last week, they immediately tried to upsell me on a semi-flush light in the middle of the kitchen. Frankly, I think that would be busy and rather pointless. I was hoping to ask for all of your advice after having a more final lighting plan but don't have the time or energy right now to work with people who are, understandably, concerned first with their commission.

The overhead view shows the island with a full bar across the left side and knee wall extensions to columns we need to support the roof. The person I saw last week recommended 4 x 3' cans over the bar. The hood that goes over the cooktop is a glass-winged island hood with 4 built-in lights.

I expect to do most of my prep work on the island counter between the cooktop and the refrigerator. Do I need to add lighting there? Will a can over the oven and refrigerator take care of that space? (Note: If you look at some of the other pictures in my Photobucket album, you can see where I was playing with pendant lights on either side of the cooktop. I'm thinking they'd be busy with the hood, columns, and dining room chandelier but am open to anything.)

Island dimensions: 30' cooktop, about 16' of counter below the cooktop (toward the dining room), and another 30-38' of counter above the cooktop (toward the refrigerator)

There is an existing can light in the soffit over the sink. (We're keeping the soffit.) There's also an existing 3-headed light over the basement stairs. Budget allowing, we'll replace it with something non-threatening. The dining room chandelier is iron-oxide finish with French Scavo glass, wagon-wheel or medieval style, depending on your perspective.

I do want to put some simple lights under the cabinets on either side of the sink.

The dishwasher is 'above' the sink.

I also have the crazy idea of replacing the can light above the sink with something like this, with the idea of the glass in the pendant mimicking the glass of the hood:

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/p8924/index.cfm?pkey=clgthngpen

What is your advice?

Thank you very much for your time and expertise,

Cate

Ack. Forgot to mention that the ceiling is vaulted, so all those cans in the aisle would have to be eyeball or some such.

Here is a link that might be useful: More views of kitchen

Comment (1)