SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisaa007

help w/ kitchen lighting plan - x-post

lisa_a
9 years ago

X-post with lighting and kitchen forums.

I'm down to the final details for my kitchen remodel. The lay-out is finalized, the appliances and Modern Aire hood are ordered, granite slabs and other finishes have been chosen and we've signed a contract with a fabricator. We will be ready to start our remodel in January! Finally! Yay!

One of the last things I need to address is the lighting plan. Because our lay-out has changed, we need to change locations of all our can lights (going with 4" LED cans). We're reusing our existing pendants and table chandy; their locations aren't changing.

I stopped at a local lighting supply store and although they usually give me great advice, the guy who helped me this time left me more confused than when I went in. I've scoured lighting websites but none of them really address can light placement when there aren't upper cabinets.

My GC helped me with can light placement last time we met. The following plan is a minor tweak of what he suggested.
{{gwi:2135637}}

The small red circles are the 4" LED cans. The medium red circles are the island pendants. The large red circle is the kitchen table chandy. The rectangular boxes are LED undercab lights.

There are no upper cabs on the cook top/hood wall. The hood has 2 halogen lights.

Switch assignment:
All cans but one.
Kitchen sink can
Island pendants.
UCL for cab next to sink
UCL for hutch
Table chandy

My GC had an extra can in the upper right hand corner where the cabs meet; the can just to the left of it was shifted over a few inches. This seemed a little overkill to me since these cans would be about 30 inches apart and the sink light is so close (the sink light will be on a separate switch, same as it is now).

I also shifted the cans along the bottom of the kitchen to the left so that there would be one close to the cab facing the entry (doors open into entry, not into kitchen). I didn't realize until just now that it's placement isn't centered in the doorway, which will likely drive my hubby crazy. That's just a perk. ;-)

I'd appreciate feedback from any of you with lighting design expertise.

TIA!

Comments (11)