SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bob_f

Recessed Can Lights: Fiberglass Insulation Question

bob_f
14 years ago

I'm planning on installing 6" diameter recessed can lights in my kitchen and I have an insulation question.

Currently the area above my kitchen is insulated with thick batts of fiberglass insulation. I plan on using "IC" cans so that direct contact with the insulation is not a problem.

My question is about how to adjust the existing insulation to accommodate the cans. Should I cut a circle in the insulation to make room for the can? If so, what a good way to cut the insulation?

Or can I just cut the batt of insulation in half where the center of the can is located and just allow the can to push the insulation to the sides?

And should I avoid placing any insulation on the top of the can? Owen Corning's website shows an IC can without any insulation on top of it.

Also, I can access the area above the kitchen so I can install either "new construction" or "remodel" cans. I'm tempted to install the remodel cans since the installation looks simple with the snap in place clips. Are there any benefits to the new construction "hammer in place" installations that I should consider before selecting remodel cans?

Comments (5)