SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ambrosiamonkey

dogs, diapers, and second floor laundry- which washer?

ambrosiamonkey
16 years ago

Help us figure out what to buy!

We are moving into a new house and have to buy new equipment. We are leaning towards front loaders for their efficiency but aren't wedded to them. I've spent some time researching washer/dryers online and comparing the ratings from Consumer Reports with the User Reviews has left me confused. Washers that are highly rated by CR (for example, the Kenmore Elite HE5t 4708) get only 2.5 stars on the user reviews. That seems to be the pattern, so I am wondering if the reviews are skewed because happy people don't report how happy they are, and only the unhappy ones complain?

I'm trying to figure out how to balance out the following factors:

- The laundry space is on the second floor, in a closet across the hall from bedrooms, so noise is important. It's my understanding that vibration/shaking can be mitigated by properly leveling the machine?

- We are having a baby soon and plan to use cloth diapers, so the machine has to be able to handle that kind of usage- I'm finding conflicting advice about whether front-loaders are appropriate for diaper duty

- we have a large dog that sheds *a lot* and dog bed covers get washed frequently

We are willing to spend money for quality, but don't necessarily want to just go buy the most expensive machine out there because it's "the best." We are looking for that sweet spot on the value curve where you get the most bang for your buck.

We're considering the Whirlpool Duet, the Kenmore Elite, or the Frigidaire LTF2940 for front loaders, maybe the Kenmore Elite Oasis or the Whirlpool Cabrio for top loaders.

Any advice on how to narrow down our choices, or firsthand experiences would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (15)