SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dcsam_gw

Unusual island countertop material - What is it? Suggestions?

dcsam
12 years ago

We are about to begin our kitchen remodel. We've decided on white cabinets in our kitchen(not pure white... I think it's called coconut), and Karndeen Autumn Oak flooring throughout the entire downstairs. We chose Karndeen because 1)we live at the beach, and bring in alot of sand and 2)We have two active dogs 3)sometimes windows and skylights leak when we have those 90 mph rain and windstorms - always fixing leaks.

Anyway, we were heavily leaning towards Seafoam Green for the island countertop. This is where we'll have our cooktop. But we've visited two warehouses for slabs, and were not impressed by the Seafoam. I've loved it in several of the online kitchen sites, but not in person. We looked at quite a few Seafoam slabs yesterday, but nothing really 'stood out' for us. Then we saw what's called Iron Green/Malibu Green and we both loved it. Very unique. The President of Pental (Peter) was there (at the time, we didn't know he owned the joint!). Anyway, he told us Iron Green is a soapstone; he saw our looks of disappointment, and then stated it would work fine and that it's actually quite durable. I've read quite a bit about this stone today, and am seeing that it's not technically a soapstone but a 'serpentine'??? We've been doing all the damage we can to our samples. It does scratch when I put some effort into it. Bacon grease came out with a general cleaning. Doesn't stain. It does seem porous, in that water seems to soak in, but quickly evaporates. I haven't found any online pics that show the true color of the slab. I'd say it's jade bluish/green with dark rust color streaks throughout. We ended up putting a 4 week hold on one slab. First of all, has anybody seen this stone and what are your thoughts? I'll post this message and then see if I can find some pics of the stone and our flooring and post them. I'm also looking for ideas for the backsplash and countertops. I'd like to keep it all fairly simple in that I'd like the island stone to take centerstage. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We're nearing the final stages before plans are finalized and costs are made.

Thanks so much!

Caroline

WA state

Comments (7)