SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chris401_gw

What counter top for a 14+ foot island?

chris401
9 years ago

Hi all, thanks in advance for looking at this thread. My dilemma: What counter surface plan for my 170-inch long island?

I should start by saying that I can't revisit the kitchen layout or plan for the island. We are too far along in the process (finalizing cabinet drawings today; foundation with plumbing poured months and months ago). So while I know that some may find this design a little different, it is what I have to work with. We think it will be very functional, but we will not know for sure until it is put into practice.

The island has both a prep sink and a clean up sink. We naively thought that an engineered quartz product (caesarstone or silestone or similar) would result in whatever size we wanted, so no seam. Now I realize that is not the case; it would be the same size slabs as natural stones (granite, marble). There's probably no way I will be able to find and install a 170" slab.

What would you do? Just live with a seam in the middle? Or would you break it up with a different material? We were thinking perhaps using a "butcher block" band just to the right of the prep sink, about 12 to 16 inch wide. Like an off-center wood stripe that runs through the counter and makes the "seam" more of an intentional feature.

But I would love to hear the GW thoughts on this problem (opportunity?).

The house is modern in styling. Some would call it "contemporary," but we think of it more in as modern in the MCM sense. Clean, simple lines.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Comments (21)