SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lkplatow

Need a cliff note version re: FL, HE detergents & suds

lkplatow
15 years ago

My first FL washer was delivered Sunday and I've been washing away since. Now that I've dug out from under the laundry that piled up while we were washerless, I have a few questions. I've tried searching HE detergent and such on this forum, but so many threads came up that I was overwhelmed. Hoping someone has time to give me a cliff notes version of what I need to know.

I bought a jug of Sears HE liquid before my washer was delivered, and that is what I have been using. I'm only filling the cap halfway (using half the recommended amount) but I'm still seeing suds at the bottom of the door during the wash. Not many suds, just a few. I also see suds during the final rinse and sometimes the washer seems to be doing an extra rinse/spin thing, which I think might have something to do with the clothes not rinsing quite right.

The suds only happen on some loads and not others, which makes me wonder if it might be leftover detergent in the clothes themselves. But anyway, here's my questions:

1) Am I supposed to be seeing suds? How many suds are too many? What should I do - cut down on the amt of detergent until I don't see suds anymore?

2) Can I still pretreat stains with shout or lestoil? Will either of those cause suds or damage the machine?

3) If I want to use oxiclean, where do I put it? (Frigidiare Affinity with no prewash dispenser)

4) Is it ok to use vinegar in the fabric softener dispenser? This was a habit I got into with my last machine, which didn't clean or rinse worth a darn. I felt that the vinegar gave the rinsing a boost but I'm not sure whether it's necessary in the new machine.

5) What kind of detergent is better, liquid or powder? If it matters, I have a whole-house water softener and generally do most of my washes in ATC cold (65 degrees, I believe). I do not normally use bleach or fabric softener but do put vinegar in the fabric softener dispenser (unless you all say I shouldn't). I've always used liquid, but am thinking that if I'm using such small amounts, it might be easier to just keep a canister of powder out on the machine and measure by the tablespoon.

6) When I was doing the research, I read something about Frigemore machines having an issue with powder detergent (I think they indicated that powdered HE detergent contributed to the bearing failure) - is this true?

7) Is there a particular brand of HE detergent that works better in softened well water, especially for cold-water washes? I have always used Tide before this but read some bad reviews on the Tide HE liquid, so that's why I bought the sears stuff (plus it was on sale for half price, LOL!) I know a lot of this has to do with your individual water chemistry, but if you've had experiences (good/bad) with any detergent, I'd love to hear them. Please only stuff that is available fairly easily in the US - my husband would probably have me locked up if I told him I wanted to mail-order detergent from the UK.

Thanks very much for any advice!

Comments (5)