SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
booberry85

Zucchini Recipe File - LOST!

booberry85
15 years ago

My zucchinis are just starting. I went to look for a recipe I made last year for chocolate zucchini cake. I found out the whole file of zucchini recipes is gone!!! Crud! So if you would, dust off those zucchini recipes & please post. Thank you!

Comments (10)

• mamalou
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here is a favorite of mine! Hope you try it!

Double Chocolate Zucchini Cake

Ingredients:
    1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
    1 3/4 cup vegetable oil
    2 eggs
    1/4 cup milk
    1/4 cup sour cream
    1 tsp vanilla
    2 1/2 cups flour
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    4 Tbs. Baking cocoa
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp ground cloves
    2 cups finely shredded zucchini
    1 cup chocolate chips

Directions:
    Mix butter, sugar and oil until blended. Add eggs, vanilla, milk and sour cream; beat well with mixer.

Combine dry ingredients and add to egg mixture, beating well. Stir in shredded zucchini. Turn into greased, floured,
    9 x 13 inch pan and sprinkle with chocolate chips.

Bake at 350 degrees for 40 - 45 minutes or until cake tests done.

Number Of Servings:10-12

• dixiedog_2007
    15 years ago

So sorry boo - that stinks!

It so happens I was looking this morning at some of my recipes for this very vegetable. The ones for the chocolate cake I came across on the Cooking Light Food Board early this morning.

Zucchini with Parmesan (Barefoot Contessa Family Style)

8 medium zucchini
    Good olive oil
    2 large yellow onions cut in half and sliced think thick
    Kosher salt
    Freshly ground black pepper
    ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Remove the ends of the zucchini and cut in half lengthwise. Slice the zucchini diagonally in ½ inch slices.

Heat 2 TBS., of olive oil in a large 12 inch sauté pan and add the onions. Cook for 10 mins. on medium low heat, until they start to brown. Add half the zucchini, 1 tsp. salt and ¼ tsp. pepper to the pan and cook, tossing occasionally, for 10 to 15 mins. until just cooked through. Sprinkle with Parmesan and cook for 30 secs. more. Remove to a serving platter and repeat with the rest of the zucchini. Serve immediately.

Zucchini Pancakes (Barefoot Contessa at Home)

2 medium zucchini
    2 TBS. grated red onion
    2 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten
    6 to 8 TBS. all-purpose flour
    1 tsp. baking powder
    1 tsp. kosher salt
    ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
    Unsalted butter and vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 300.

Grate the zucchini into a bowl using the large grating side of a box grater. Immediately stir in the onion and eggs. Stir in 6 TBS. of the flour, the baking powder, salt and pepper. (If the batter gets too thin from the liquid in the zucchini, add the remaining 2 TBS. of flour).

Heat a large 10 to 12 inch sauté pan over medium heat and melt ½ TBS. butter and ½ TBS. oil together in the pan. When the butter is hot but not smoking, lower the heat to medium low and drop heaping soup spoons of batter into the pan. Cook the pancakes about 2 mins. on each side, until browned. Place the panckes on a sheet pan and keep warm in the oven. Wipe out the pan with a dry paper towel, add more butter and oil to the pan and continue to fry the pancakes until all the batter is used. The pancakes stay warm in the oven for up to 30 mins.

Skillet Zucchini Combo (Southern Living 20th Anniversary Edition)

3 ears fresh corn
    1 onion, quartered and sliced
    1 red bell pepper, cut into ½ inch squares
    1 clove garlic, minced
    2 TBS. vegetable oil (I use Olive Oil)
    3 medium zucchini, sliced
    1 large tomato, peeled and chopped
    2 jalapeno peppers, seed and minced
    1 ½ tsps. chopped fresh basil
    ½ tsp. dried Italian seasoning
    ½ tsp. salt
    ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Cut corn kernels from cobs, and set aside.

Cook onion, bell pepper and garlic in oil in a large skillet 5 mins. stirring often.

Add zucchini, cook 7 mins. stirring often.

Add corn, tomato, and next 4 ingredients; cover and cook over low heat 7 mins. stirring often. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and serve immediately.

Yield: 6 side dish servings or 3 main dish servings.

Chocolate Cake (Cooking Light Food Board Posted by member GingerPow)

Chocolate Zucchini Cake

2-1/4 cups sifted all purpose flour
    1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I increased it to 3/4 cup)
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1 teaspoon salt
    1-1/2 cups sugar
    1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    2 large eggs
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/2 cup buttermilk
    2 cups grated unpeeled zucchini (about 2 1/2 medium)
    1 6-ounce package (about 1 cup) semisweet chocolate chips
    3/4 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 325°F. Butter and flour 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan, (or line two muffin pans with paper cupcake liners.)

Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt into medium bowl. Beat sugar, butter and oil in large bowl until well blended. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla extract. Mix in dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk in 3 additions each. Mix in grated zucchini, chocolate chips and nuts. Pour batter into prepared pan.

Bake cake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 50 minutes. Cool cake completely in pan. Dust with confectioner's sugar just before serving.

(Note: These are GingerPow's notes)

I printed this recipe for another Chocolate Zucchini Cake, but haven't tried it yet. It's main difference is that it contains applesauce, which has got to be good in this cake:

Â 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
    Â 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
    Â 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    Â 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
    Â 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    Â 1 teaspoon salt, optional
    Â 1 cup sugar
    Â 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
    Â 3/4 cup applesauce
    Â 4 eggs
    Â 1 tablespoon vanilla
    Â 2 cups shredded zucchini (about 1 1/2 to 2 small, 10 oz.)
    Â Confectioners' sugar

In medium bowl, stir together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt, if desired. Set aside. In large mixing bowl at medium speed, beat together sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Beat in applesauce, eggs and vanilla until thoroughly blended. Reduce mixer speed to low and gradually beat in reserved flour mixture.

Gently stir in zucchini. Pour into lightly greased 9-cup fluted tube pan.

Bake in preheated 350°F oven until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean, about 60 to 70 minutes. Cool on wire rack 10 minutes. With narrow spatula or knife, loosen cake from pan and gently shake onto serving plate. Cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar.

And probably the easiest but oh so tasty:

Grilled Vegetables

Sliced Zucchini
    Sliced Squash
    Sliced Onions
    Tomatoes cut into wedges

Toss vegetables with olive, garlic, salt and pepper. Place in grill rack directly over hot coals and cook tossing a few times.

• Related Discussions

excess zucchini problem. pls send me your recipes!

Q

Comments (14)
    What do I stuff the blossoms with exactly? I have no idea. And how much of the blossom stem do I leave on? I am a complete novice at this. What oil do you use, how much, and what type of pan? Hoping someone can really spell it out so maybe I and other newbies can enjoy this delicacy. What is an "egg wash"? I am completely lost. Stuffed blossoms sounds really good. I want to serve them at my gardeners luncheon this month. I recently began having these with some local gardeners. There are about 10 of us. Each one takes her turn having it at her house, and each chooses a theme. The last one was any dish containing herbs. Mine will be Mexican. Maybe I can come up with a Mexican version of stuffed blossoms. Let's discuss.
    ...See More

I've lost a duck recipe and can't remember the book.

Q

Comments (2)
    Search Update!!! What luck; I found the duck ...recipe. My "Drunken Duck" recipe has re-appeared today! Happy Dance!!! It was in an old file box I'm slowly clearing out. I wonder what other jewels may surface? I had made two copies of this recipe from a library book and then put both copies in the same place. What was I thinking? The book - a history review of cooking, restaurants, and recipes of the late 1800s - came from the Dover, DE, Library. I think it was long out of print when I checked it out in 1992. The dinner is called "Positively Ducky, A Small Spring Dinner for Four." It's Chapter 29 of the book and begins on page 305. Apparently the recipes were broken down into seasons and the duck recipe came under "Spring." I know everything about this book - except the title and author. I had made photo copies of the pages, stapled them together, and did not bother to reference the book, author, or publisher on the pages. Again, what was I thinking? The menu for this dinner is includes... Crisp Savory Almonds Chilled Spring Green Soup Aromatic Duck (which I named Drunk Duck; it's soaked in Brandy) Gingered Red Cabbage Slaw Fresh Grapefruit Gelatin with Cream I won't copy all the instructions right now - I have birthday treats to prepare - but the marinade/rub for the 5 lb. duck includes... 2 teaspoons black peppercorns 1 teaspoon dried thyme 2 bay leaves, crumbled 6 whole cloves 1 Tbls. coarse Kosher salt 1 Tbls. brown sugar 1 Tbls. gin, vodka, or brandy 1 garlic clove, peeled I am so thankful I found this recipe. A copy will be put in my computer; my friends will have emailed copies, a paper copy will go in a proper file folder and cabinet, and another copy will go in my Betty Crocker cookbook. My ducks will never be served sober again!
    ...See More

I lost my artichoke dip recipe. Help me replace it

Q

Comments (17)
    I'm late to the party but this is one recipe that I've had many times. The list of ingredients is long but OMG it's just *the* best spinache/artichoke dip I've ever had. California Pizza Kitchen's Spinach/Artichoke Dip 1/4 cup olive oil 2 tablespoons unsalted butter 3/4 cup diced white or yellow onion, cut into 1/8-inch dice 1 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic 1/2 cup all-purpose flour 1 1/2 cup chicken stock (preferable homemade) 1 1/2 cup heavy cream 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese 2 tablespoons dehydrated chicken stock base or crumbled bouillon cubes 1 1/2 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice 1 teaspoon sugar 3/4 cup sour cream 12 ounces frozen spinach, defrosted, drained, wrung out by hand, and coarsely chopped 6 ounces canned artichoke bottoms, drained and cut into 1/8-inch slices 1 cup finely shredded Monterey Jack cheese 3/4 teaspoon Tabasco Sauce Blue and white corn tortilla chips Directions: In a large saucepan, warm the olive oil and butter together over medium heat. When the butter has melted, add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until wilted, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook 2 to 3 minutes longer, stirring frequently and stopping before the onion and garlic brown. Sprinkle the flour and continue cooking, stirring continuously, until the mixture turns a golden-blond color, 10 to 15 minutes. Then, whisking continuously, slowly pour in the stock until it is smoothly incorporated. When the mixture begins to simmer, stir in the cream. Let it return to the simmer. Remove from the heat, add the Parmesan, chicken base or bouillon cubes, lemon juice, and sugar, and stir until thoroughly blended. Add the sour cream, spinach, artichoke bottoms, Monterey Jack cheese and Tabasco sauce, and stir until the ingredients are thoroughly combined and the cheese has melted. Transfer to a warmed serving bowl and serve immediately, accompanied by blue and white corn tortilla chips.
    ...See More

changes to Zucchini bread recipe?

Q

Comments (9)
    We love zucchini bread. Now I put a little less sugar andI cut the amount of oil in half but make up for the other half of oil with apple sauce. It makes the bread more moist and has the sweetness. Other times I throw caution to the wind and add a ripened banana with the same amount of zucchini! Great flavor with potassium as a plus. K
    ...See More
  • canarybird01
    15 years ago

I've made this one with a type of zucchini called bubangos here. The flavour is similar.

- Bubangos Rellenos - Venezuela

2 bubangos - (small zucchini)
    1/3 cup soft breadcrumbs
    1/3 cup milk
    1/4 cup grated white cheese - (I used parmesan)
    1 beaten egg
    1 teasp butter
    a sprinkle of fine dry breadcrumbs or fine cracker crumbs

1. Cut the bubangos in half lengthwise and steam or boil until soft but not mushy. Scoop out the pulp, leaving a little next to the skin.

2. Soak the breadcrumbs in the milk and add the other ingredients and the pulp.

3. Refill the skins, cover with the fine dry crumbs and brown in the oven.

Source: "Buen Provecho - Caracas Cookery" - Caracas, Venezuela.

My Notes: The original recipe was for Chayotes rather than bubangos. Chayotes are a soft pear-shaped mild green vegetable.

SharonCb

• stacy3
    15 years ago

Hi Becky - I apologize in advance for the format - but here is a thread I saved from 04! (what we were doing discussing zucchini in January - I do not know...)

Zucchini recipes

Slice the yellow and green squash into 1/4" to 1/2" thick pieces (the smaller squash, about the size of a cucumber, work best for this recipe).
    Very briefly sautee them in a hot pan with a little butter, olive oil, etc. (NOT MUCH!) and just a TOUCH of fresh garlic until the garlic starts to brown.
    Pour in enough apple cider (NOT vinegar, cider) to just cover the squash, and braise over high heat until the squash is cooked to just under your desired tenderness.
    Remove the squash to a bowl. It will continue to cook, to don't make it too mushy.
    Over high heat, reduce the apple cider to about 1/2 its volumn, and pour over the squash, tossing to cover.
    Serve immediately. (kframe)
    Oh my goodness! Where do I start? Zucchini has to be one of the most versatile of vegetables - it can be used raw or cooked. I have many, many different recipes using it. It's wonderful in a quiche, or grated or finely sliced into just about any salad; but particularly grated into a coleslaw; it's great crumbed and baked, or just baked uncrumbed; it's yummy julienned and served with your favourite dip. They can be stuffed and baked, cook well on a barbecue......Below a few (trying to keep your waist-line in mind!).
    Zucchini with Coriander
    2 capsicums (red, green or yellow)
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 onion, sliced
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    2 teaspoons coriander seeds, roughly crushed
    2 zucchini, diced
    3 tomatoes, chopped
    salt and pepper
    Cut capsicums into quarters, remove seeds. Place shiny side up until a hot griller until the skins blister, char slightly and loosen. Remove from heat, cover for a minute or two, then remove skins and cut into strips. Warm the oil in a saucepan, add onion, garlic and capsicum. Fry for 4-5 minutes, add coriander, zucchini and tomatoes. Stir, cook for 20 minutes until vegetables are tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot or cold, with or without brown rice.
    Zucchini and Corn Casserole
    5-6 zucchinis
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 1/2 cups finely chopped onion
    2 1/2 tablespoons butter
    5 eggs, beaten
    1 cup water
    1 green capsicum, finely chopped
    1 clove garlic
    1 tablespoon butter, extra
    1 cup tinned whole-kernel corn
    1 cup tasty grated cheese
    Place zucchinis, water and salt in a saucepan and steam for about 10 minutes until just tender. Drain and chop. Saute capsicum, onion and garlic in the butter until onions are transparent. Add zucchini and extra butter, corn, eggs and cheese. Mix well, pour into a casserole dish and bake, uncovered, at 180C for 40-45 minutes.
    Stirfried Beef
    3 zucchini, cut in half crosswise, then into quarters lengthwise
    1 tablespoon peanut oil
    1 onion, cut in half lengthwise and then into slices lengthwise
    1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh ginger
    1 clove garlic, finely chopped
    1 stalk lemongrass, finely sliced
    2 small red chillies, finely sliced
    200g rump steak, thinly sliced
    2 tomatoes, diced
    2 tablespoons shredded mint leaves
    1 tablespoon soy sauce
    Steam the zucchini for 5 minutes or microwave on high for 40-60 seconds. Heat a frypan. Add oil and swirl to coat the sides. Add onion, ginger and garlic, stirfry until just coloured, about 30 seconds. Add lemongrass and chillies. Stirfry for 10 seconds, add beef and stirfry until it browns Add tomatoes and zucchini, cook for 1 minute. Stir in the mint and soy sauce. Serve immediately with rice.
    Egyptian Pot Roast with Zucchini and Beans
    500g zucchini, cut into 1cm slices, blanched
    500g whole green beans
    1kg small potatoes
    1 eggplant, cut into 1cm slices, then quartered
    1 clove garlic
    1 boned leg of lamb
    salt or garlic salt and pepper to taste
    paprika
    2 onions, sliced
    3 ripe tomatoes cut into quarters
    Measure the liquid from the beans and add water to make 2 1/2 cups. Rub lamb all over with garlic clove, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place lamb in a baking dish. Arrange potatoes, beans, eggplant and zucchini around the meat, making two piles of potatoes and one each of the others. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sprinkle potatoes well with paprika. Pour bean liquid into pan. Place onions on top of meat and vegetables. Squeeze juice from tomatoes all over, discarding the pulp. Bake, uncovered, for 2 1/2 hours, basting frequently with pan juices. Make a gravy from pan juices to serve, if desired.
    Veal With Zucchini
    750g veal, cubed
    1 tablespoon oil
    3 large zucchini, cut into chunks
    2 onion stock cubes, crumbled
    400g can tomatoes
    Place veal and oil in a flameproof casserole dish and fry until browned. Add remaining ingredients and bake in a moderate oven for 1 1/4-1 1/2 hours. Serve with buttered noodles.
    Mushroom Zucchini Salad
    250g small zucchini
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    salt and pepper
    1 clove garlic, halved
    2 tablespoons salad oil
    250g button mushrooms, sliced (or tinned champignons)
    1/4 cup Italian salad dressing
    2 tablespoons chopped parsley
    lettuce cups for serving
    Slice the zucchini and blanch for 1-2 minutes in boiling, salted water. Drain well and sprinkle half the lemon juice over, toss to mix. Sprinkle a little salt and pepper in a salad bowl, rub the bowl with the garlic, add the oil. Add the mushrooms and coat with the oil, stand aside for 5 minutes and discard the garlic. Add zucchini, remaining lemon juice, salad dressing and parsley and toss carefully. Chill and serve in crisp lettuce cups.
    Pastry-Free Frittata
    2 cups grated zucchini
    1 cup grated carrot
    1 onion, finely chopped
    4 eggs, lightly beaten
    1 cup self-raising flour
    1 cup olive oil
    1 cup grated Gruyere or cheddar cheese
    salt and pepper to taste
    3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
    2 tablespoons chopped parsley
    2 tablespoons chopped chives
    Combine all ingredients, mix thoroughly. Grease a pie dish and pour in the mixture. Bake at 190C for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown. Leave until ready to use, then serve in wedges.
    Savoury Zucchini Slice
    375g zucchini, grated
    1 onion, chopped
    3 rashers bacon, chopped
    1 cup grated cheddar cheese
    11 cup self raising flour
    1/2 cup oil
    5 eggs, lightly beaten
    salt and pepper to taste
    Combine all ingredients, pour into a well-greased lamington tin and bake at 180C for 30-40 minutes until golden.
    Stuffed Zucchini Salad
    8 large zucchini
    1 onion, finely chopped
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    1/2 cup French dressing
    4 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
    1/2 green capsicum, chopped
    1/2 onion, finely chopped
    2 tablespoons capers, chopped
    2 teaspoons chopped parsley
    1 teaspoon chopped chives
    salt and pepper to taste
    Simmer zucchini in salted water for about 5 minutes. Cut them in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Combine onion and garlic and spread over zucchini. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup of the French dressing. Cover and leave for several hours. Combine tomatoes, capsicum, onion, capers, parsley and chives. Season to taste with salt and pepper. When ready to serve, remove the onion and garlic mixture from the zucchini. Fill zucchini with the tomato mixture. Sprinkle with the remaining French dressing.
    ZUCCHINI AND BACON SOUP
    60g butter or margarine
    750g zucchini, sliced
    3 rashers bacon, rind removed, finely chopped 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
    salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
    1/2 cup cream
    Melt butter, add zucchini and bacon and fry over medium heat until zucchini softens, about 10 minutes. Add stock, basil, salt and pepper. Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Mash or process until smooth. Return to the saucepan, stir in cream and reheat gently without boiling.
    ZUCCHINI WITH GARLIC
    3 medium zucchini, grated
    1 clove garlic, minced
    juice of 1 lemon
    salt and pepper to taste
    Grate zucchini into a lightly greased frypan, mix in garlic, lemon juice and seasoning. Cook over medium heat until hot and wilted, 5-6 minutes.
    As for 'yellow squash', I can only assume you mean pumpkin, which is ANATHEMA to me, despite which I have lots of recipes for it. I'll await your confirmation of my suspicions before adding them.
    Asking for 'vegetable recipes' is a bit like asking 'how long is a piece of string?' You'll get a kerzillion different responses. However, some recipes below in which you can mix and mix and variety of vegetables of your choice - use the recipes as guides only, and let your imagination run wild.
    HONEY MUSTARD VEGETABLES
    3 large onions, quartered
    6 medium carrots, chopped
    2 medium kumara (red sweet potato), sliced
    1/3 cup olive oil
    60g butter, melted
    1/3 cup honey
    1 tablespoons seeded mustard
    1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
    Combine vegetables in a baking pan and drizzle with half the oil. Bake, uncovered at 180C for about 1 hour or until just tender. Combine butter with remaining oil, honey and mustard, pour over vegetables. Bake a further 20 minutes until vegetables are soft and glaze is thickened slightly. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Delicious with roast meats.
    ITALIAN VEGETABLE CASSEROLE
    1 cauliflower, cut into florets
    3 tablespoons oil
    1 onion, finely chopped
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    1 green capsicum, chopped
    6 tomatoes, chopped
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 tablespoon chopped parsley
    Heat the oil, add onion and garlic and cook until the onion is transparent. Add cauliflower, cover and cook over gentle heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the capsicum, tomatoes and season to taste. Cover and heat through. Serve sprinkled with parsley.
    MIXED VEGETABLE CASSEROLE
    250g zucchini, washed and thickly sliced
    250g tomatoes, skinned and sliced
    90g onion, peeled and thinly sliced
    90g carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
    60g button mushrooms, washed and sliced
    2 teaspoons fresh parsley, chopped
    150ml chicken or beef stock
    1 clove garlic, crushed (optional)
    salt and pepper
    60g Cheddar cheese, grated (optional)
    Layer all the ingredients except the cheese in an ovenproof casserole dish. Season well and pour over the stock. Cover and cook at 200C for about 1 hour, depending on the thickness of the vegetables. Serve with hot or cold meat. Alternatively, uncover the dish when cooked, sprinkle with the grated cheese and brown under the griller. Serves 4
    VEGETABLE MORNAY
    1 tablespoon oil
    1 onion, chopped
    250g button mushrooms, sliced
    1/2 red capsicum, cut into 1cm dice
    1/2 green capsicum, cut into 1cm dice
    2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped (or 2 teaspoons dried basil
    440g tin chopped tomatoes, drained
    4 tablespoons tomato paste
    1 teaspoon sugar
    6-8 zucchinis, sliced into 5mm lengths
    Parmesan cheese. extra
    Heat the oil, gently fry the onion, mushrooms and capsicums until tender. Add the basil, tomatoes, tomato paste and sugar. Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Set aside.
    Spinach Layer:
    1 bunch spinach, chopped
    1 clove garlic, chopped
    1 onion, chopped
    1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
    Cook all ingredients together, covered, for 3-5 minutes or until the spinach has wilted. Drain well, squeezing the spinach to remove all excess liquid. Set aside.
    Mornay Sauce:
    3/4 cup milk
    1/4 cup onion, chopped
    4 whole cloves
    1 bay leaf
    30g butter
    2 tablespoons flour
    1/2 cup grated cheese
    Heat the milk with the onion, cloves and bay leaf. Strain, discard the flavourings and cool. Melt butter in a saucepan, add flour. Cook for 1 minute or until foaming but not brown. Beat in the milk and stir until boiling. Fold in the cheese. Remove from heat, cover and set aside.
    Topping:
    500g ricotta cheese
    1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
    2 eggs, beaten
    Combine all ingredients.
    To Assemble the Dish:
    Pour half the tomato mixture into a greased casserole dish, top with half the zucchini. Cover with the spinach mixture, remaining tomato mixture, and topping mixture. Cover with remaining zucchini. Pour Mornay Sauce evenly over and sprinkle with extra Parmesan cheese. Bake at 190C for 30-45 minutes or until the top is golden.
    BAKED VEGETABLES WITH BASIL BUTTER
    6 cups mixed sliced vegetables (carrots, cauliflower, capsicum, beans, zucchini, broccoli etc)
    6 tablespoons unsalted butter
    1/3 cup fresh basil leaves or 2 tablespoons dried basil
    2 tablespoons parsley
    pinch nutmeg
    Put vegetables through a processor until fluffy. Cut 6 pieces foil about 30cm square. Place vegetables evenly on each piece and top each with 1 1/2 tablespoons basil butter. Carefully bring up edges of foil and fold into packets securely, leaving a little air space inside. Bake at 230 for 20 minutes until tender.
    DEEP FRIED VEGETABLE BALLS
    2 cups cooked vegetables (eg. potatoes, pumpkin, sweet potato, parsnips, leftovers, alone or in combinations)
    1 onion, chopped and fried
    2 tablespoons flour
    pinch nutmeg (with pumpkin)
    pinch coriander (with parsnip)
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    flour for rolling
    oil for frying
    Mash vegetables and mix in other ingredients. Shape into balls while still warm. Roll in flour and leave next to an open window or door to dry and cool so a skin forms. Deep fry in very hot oil.
    BAKED VEGETABLES WITH BASIL BUTTER
    6 cups mixed sliced vegetables (carrots, cauliflower, capsicum, beans, zucchini, broccoli etc)
    6 tablespoons unsalted butter
    1/3 cup fresh basil leaves or 2 tablespoons dried basil
    2 tablespoons parsley
    pinch nutmeg
    Put vegetables through a processor until fluffy. Cut 6 pieces foil about 30cm square. Place vegetables evenly on each piece and top each with 1 1/2 tablespoons basil butter. Carefully bring up edges of foil and fold into packets securely, leaving a little air space inside. Bake at 230C for 20 minutes until tender.
    Posted by: compumom (My Page) on Wed, Jan 21, 04 at 1:57
    Zucchini I like a few ways. One is to brush with olive oil and a bit of soy sauce and grill on some Reynolds "grilling foil sheets" or if you can't find that use their "Release" foil and make a few knife slits. Cook on the gas grill for a few minutes on each side. You can marinate in balsamic vinegar, a drop of olive oil, a touch of soy sauce and a minced clove of garlic. bake, bbq or broil. You can slice the zucchini long ways and steam until barely tender. Then sprinkle with parmesan cheese and stick under the broiler until brown.
    Lastly, cut zucchini in half long ways. Steam in microwave until barely tender. Fill with a cooked mixture of ground meat, tomato sauce to moisten, spices to taste, some bread crumbs and parmesan cheese. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes. Let me know if you need more specific instructions. I like them sliced and steamed with no real seasoning as well. Zucchini is especially versatile.
    Posted by: ReneeKY (My Page) on Wed, Jan 21, 04 at 8:58
    Wow, some delicious sounding things here. I'm glad this thread was sarted.
    We often will saute in a little butter and garlic, then sprinkle a very small bit (for me, a mountain of it for Mike) parmesian reggiano or asiago cheese on top. I also like zuchini with tomatoes...but I don't like squash with stewed tomatoes...maybe the color?
    I can eat zucchini slices raw though.
    Jude - there is a book called Joselin Diabetes Great Chefs Cook Healthy Cookbook that might interest you. It has some marvelous recipes and ideas. (I think a copy is coming home with me. Awesome stuff.)
    Posted by: BeverlyAL (My Page) on Wed, Jan 21, 04 at 9:11
    I'm another who is glad for this thread. I didn't realize just how boring my squash cooking had become. Now I can spruce it up a bit, which is good especially for me, as I don't care for broccoli, brussel sprouds or cauliflower.
    Posted by: Cindy_Mac (My Page) on Wed, Jan 21, 04 at 9:41
    I like to combine sliced yellow squash and sweet onions and steam for about 10 minutes then serve with a little melted butter.
    I don't know why but I rarely fix zucchini unless it's in a quick bread or those zucchini appetizer squares made with Bisquick. Here's a recipe (not low fat) that I haven't made in years.
    Creamy Zucchini
    Coarsely grate 2 or 3 medium zucchini and toss with a little salt. Set aside.
    Saute a large sliced onion in a little olive oil, or olive oil and butter. When tender, squeeze the zucchini dry; blend with the onions and saute, tossing for several minutes until almost cooked through. Blend in 1/2 cup heavy cream, a sprinkling of shredded Swiss or Gruyere cheese, and salt & pepper to taste. Simmer for a couple minutes.
    Posted by: woodie2 (My Page) on Wed, Jan 21, 04 at 11:17
    I haven't made these in a few years, but I remember that this recipe was from some healthy living cookbook or magazine article. They were pretty good.
    BAKED ZUCCHINI STICKS
    5 Zucchini (about 1-1/2 lb.)
    2/3 cup Parmesan
    1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
    1 teaspoon ground sage
    1 teaspoon rosemary
    2 eggs lightly beaten or Eggbeaters
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    Cut zucchini lengthwise in half, then quarters.
    Mix cheese, crumbs and spices.
    Dip zucchini and roll in egg, drain and roll in crumb mixture.
    Spread out on greased 10 x 15 pan. Drizzle oil over.
    Bake at 450 degrees approximately 25 minutes.
    Posted by: Mama_Tee (My Page) on Wed, Jan 21, 04 at 12:52
    This is how we really love summer squash:
    Slice zucchini and yellow summer squash about 1/4 - 1/2 inch thick. Then slice the same amount of onion in the same size slices. Put 1 T. of olive oil and 1 T. butter (more if you have lots of squash, but not too much!) in a large enough frying pan to hold the veggies, and heat. Once the oil is hot, throw in the squash and onions. Saute, stirring often, till they start to brown a little here and there, then turn down till just cooked and continue to stir occasionally (don't let them get mushy!), we like ours "al dente." Then serve!
    This is quick, easy and really good!
    Marty
    Posted by: RobinKateB (My Page) on Wed, Jan 21, 04 at 13:02
    We love Zucchini here. Sebastian can eat a whole Zucchini on his own. Here are some of my recipes
    Zucchini with Nutmeg
    Slice Zucchini (I often cut them in to 1/2 inch sticks that are 2 inches long as they are great for Sebastian)
    Steam Zucchini until just tender
    Now toss it in a fry pan with a small amount of butter
    Sprinkle on salt, freshly ground pepper and freshly grated nutmeg.
    Cook over high heat for about 30 seconds
    note: the above recipe is also excellent with carrots. If you want to do both at once steam the carrots alsone first and when they have cooked for about five minutes add the zucchini
    Zucchini with Lemon
    Cook zucchini as above but add some whoel peeled garlic to the steamer (steaming it makes it a bit more mellow and sweet)
    throw in a pan with butter again, add the salt and pepper but this time add grated lemon zest.
    Before serving add some grated parmesan cheese
    -Robin
    Posted by: Dances_in_Garden (My Page) on Thu, Jan 22, 04 at 10:38
    Another fan of sliced, grilled zuchini and yellow squash here! I like it cooked through though. Partially cooked zuchini tastes bitter to me.
    I have grilled several at once, and used some for dinner.
    Some can be used for sandwiches (good crusty bread, spread one slice with tapenade and another with goat cheese, or creamy feta, add slices of cold or warm grilled eggplant, and a drizzle of your favorite vinagrette dressing...very good with roasted red peppers as well...if you make this pannini style and "grill" the sandwich we are talking NIRVANA here).
    You can cut it into chunks or strips, marinate it in dressing and add to lettuce salads or antipasto trays.
    Wrap it around various fillings, line in a pan, top with a good sauce and a sprinkle of cheese and bake for a special treat that is easy to make. This makes a good side dish for chicken, BTW.
    I also slice it thin, dehydrate it, then crumble and add to dips and dressings and muffins, and just about anything (of course, that is at desparate stage when the zuchini plants are taking over the world and lobbing child size squashes at us daily).

Posted by: cloudy_christine (My Page) on Thu, Jan 22, 04 at 13:45
    Shred it it a food processor and sauté it in a little butter just until wilted. The easiest cooked vegetable there is.
    Add chopped herbs if desired.
    Posted by: annie1992 (My Page) on Thu, Jan 22, 04 at 13:51
    I use zucchini in place of potatoes for potato pancakes, and saute it just like Mama Tee, except I add a couple of cloves of chopped garlic to the onion & squash.
    Annie
    Posted by: Faulks (My Page) on Thu, Jan 22, 04 at 15:18
    Saute an onion or two and some garlic in a small amount of olive oil. Add sliced squash (either). Saute until tender. Sprinkle with parmesan or bread crumbs. You could also add a little sour cream, then the crumbs mixed with parmesan, but that increases the calories. This is my favorite way to eat yellow squash.
    Alternate for zuchini: Add chopped, fresh or canned tomatoes before the parmesan or bread crumbs.

• booberry85
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much! Keep the recipes coming. I'm sure others out there are starting to get the flood of zucchinis. I'm thrilled to have the recipes for Chocolate Zucchini Cake. I can't believe I didn't save that in another arsenal of recipes.

Sharon, I can see me adding some diced jalapenos to that recipe. Yum!

• booberry85
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone. Stacy, that's quite an arsenal of recipes. I just printed all the recipes, so I won't lose them again!

• ruthanna_gw
    15 years ago

ZUCCHINI RELISH

2 1/2 cups finely chopped zucchini
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1/2 cup chopped green pepper
    1 1/4 tsp. salt
    1 cup sugar
    1/2 cup plus 2 Tbs. vinegar
    1 1/2 tsp. celery seed
    1/4 tsp. ground mustard
    1/8 tsp. ground tumeric
    1 tsp. cornstarch
    1 Tbs. water

In a bowl, combine, the zucchini, onion, green pepper and salt; cover and refrigerate overnight. Rinse and drain well; set aside. In a saucepan, combine sugar, vinegar, celery seed, mustard and tumeric; bring to a boil. Add vegetable mixture; return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into saucepan. Simmer 6-8 minutes longer, stirring often. Cool. Store, covered, in refrigerator. Makes about 2 cups.

STEAMED MUSHROOMS AND ZUCCHINI

1 lb. medium sized fresh mushrooms
    2 small zucchinis
    1 tsp. seasoned salt
    1/ 4 tsp. paprika
    1/ 4 tsp. dried marjoram or dillweed ( I always use marjoram)
    1/ 8 tsp. pepper
    1/ 4 cup (1/ 2 stick) butter or margarine
    2 Tbs. dry sherry
    1/ 4 cup chopped fresh parsley (optional)

Wash mushrooms and zucchini. Leave mushrooms whole and slice unpeeled zucchini into 1/ 4 inch slices. Place them in the center of a large piece of heavy duty aluminum foil. Sprinkle with salt, paprika, pepper and dill or marjoram. Dot top with butter. Sprinkle sherry over all. Bring foil together and seal securely but leave room for steam. Place foil in shallow baking pan. Bake 20 minutes in preheated 400 degree oven. Open foil carefully and sprinkle vegetables with chopped parsley, if desired. Serves 4

Note: Foil packet may also be enclosed in a second sheet of foil and cooked on a grill over medium coals. Cooking time is about the same.

You can also use a tightly covered casserole dish and bake them in the oven if you dont want to use the foil.

If you are going to be serving this with fish, add a little grated lemon peel.

SPANISH VEGETABLES

1 cup fresh corn kernels (do not scrape cob)
    1 Tbs. olive oil
    1/2 cup finely chopped onion
    1 clove minced garlic
    1 cup halved and thinly sliced zucchini
    2 cups peeled and chopped tomatoes
    1/2 tsp dried oregano
    1/2 tsp. salt
    Dash of pepper
    2 Tbs. sliced black olives (optional)

In skillet, cook onion and garlic in oil over medium heat until onion is tender but not brown. Stir in rest of ingredients except for olives. Cook, covered, over low heat until tender, about 15 minutes. Serve in bowls. Serves 4 to 6

• nancylouise5me
    15 years ago

Wayne and I recently catered the elementary school teachers' end of the year luncheon. We made these stuffed Zucc. boats. They were the hit of the luncheon. We made over 100 of these but I think this reduced recipe works fine.

l med. onion-chopped small
    1 clove garlic-minced
    1 cup sour dough bread-small cubes
    1 cup parmesan cheese
    3 italian sweet sausages
    1 large egg
    1 tsp each pepper, oregano
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 bottle marinara sauce, 24 oz or your own recipe-heated
    6 or 7 sml to med. zucchinis-sliced lengthwise,pulp scooped out and saved for filling. (do not scoop all the way to the bottom or sides. leave some pulp in for sturdiness)
    1 cup of water
    oil and butter for frying

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
    In a frying pan sprinkled with olive oil and a TBS or 2 of butter, cook onions and garlic for about 4 minutes. In another fry pan cook the sweet sausage(remove outer casing)until only a hint of pink remains. Remove from heat and drain the fat. Add bread, onions, garlic, parm. chees, scooped out zucchini, egg, salt, pepper, oregano and half of the marinara sauce to sausage pan. Mix well. Spoon mixture into Zucc. boats. We like to heap it on. Place the filled boats into a large baking dish. With remaining sauce spoon a little on top of the boats. Any remaining sauce can be put in the baking dish along with the 1 cup of water. Cover the dish with foil. Put dish in oven and bake about 35 minutes. Take off foil and bake for about another 10-15 minutes. Enjoy! NancyLouise

• annie1992
    15 years ago

Becky, here's my current favorite, from Eating Well. It's so good I ate the whole thing myself over the course of about 4 days!

Gratin of Zucchini & Tomatoes
    Makes 4 servings

Ingredients
    3 cloves garlic, crushed
    2/3 cup fresh basil leaves
    1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
    2 cups fresh whole-wheat breadcrumbs (see Tip), divided
    1/2 cup finely chopped sweet onion, such as Vidalia
    3 large ripe tomatoes, diced
    1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
    1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
    3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
    3 medium zucchini sliced on the bias about 1/4 inch thick
    Freshly ground pepper to taste
    3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish (or similar gratin dish) with cooking spray.
    2. Place garlic, basil and thyme on your chopping board; mince well. Spread half the breadcrumbs evenly in the prepared baking dish. Strew onion over the breadcrumbs. Distribute half the diced tomato over the onion, then sprinkle with half the garlic-herb mixture. Sprinkle with vinegar and 1/8 teaspoon salt.
    3. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add a third of the zucchini; you want it to sauté, not stew, so don't crowd it. Sauté, turning the pieces once, until golden and not quite tender, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes per side. When the slices are done, use a fork to transfer them to the gratin, overlapping the slices. Cook the remaining zucchini in two batches, each time using 2 teaspoons oil. Strew the remaining tomatoes and garlic-herb mixture over the zucchini. Season with the remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt and a grinding of pepper. Toss the remaining 1 cup breadcrumbs with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and sprinkle over the gratin.
    4. Bake the gratin until bubbly hot, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and immediately sprinkle with Parmesan.

Tip: To make fresh breadcrumbs:
    Trim crusts from firm sandwich bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. One slice of bread makes about 1/3 cup crumbs.

Per serving: 302 calories; 15 g total fat (3 g sat, 9 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrate; 11 g protein; 7 g fiber; 532 mg sodium; 885 mg potassium.

Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (80% daily value), Vitamin A (40% dv), Potassium & Selenium (25% dv), Folate (23% dv), Magnesium (21% dv), Calcium (20% dv).

2 Carbohydrate Servings

Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1/2 medium-fat protein, 2 fat

Fresh, healthy AND yummy!!

Annie

• booberry85
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much everyone. I think I'll be picking the first of the zucchini by this weekend.

Annie, I love the pics of your garden on the "How does your garden grow" thread!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH