SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jmm1118

Dishwasher location not next to sink - any one??

JMM1118
12 years ago

Hi,

My fiance and I are getting ready to do a complete renovation of his rowhouse kitchen. For those who don't know what a rowhouse is - it's basically a 16' wide townhouse. The kitchen hasn't been updated since the 1980s.

One of the things he hates about the current layout is that there is very little usable counter space. We have some immovable constraints that limit our layout options including a floor to ceiling 24" x 24" "bump-out" that surrounds some duct work and a chimney that we cannot move. It looks like we can really get a lot of counter-top space if we place our sink on one side of the duct bump-out and put the dishwasher on the other side of the duct bump-out. Other layouts that put the sink right up against the DW require us to place the refrigerator and range in places that really limit usable counter-top space in a practical configuration.

I know this isn't an optimal layout but we think we can live with it to get the counter-top space we want. We plan on being in the house for 10-15 more years so resale isn't that big of an issue for us (if it were we probaby wouldn't be using Blue Louise for a counter-top to ceiling backsplash behind the sink!).

Does anyone have experience with DWs that are not right next to the sink? As I mention, ours will be about 24-27 inches away from the sink.

Thanks in advance!

JMM

Comments (10)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH