SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prairie_girl_

Hi, looking for input if I've missed the obvious :o) TIA

prairie-girl
14 years ago

Hi, We're getting ready to do our kitchen, and I think we have all our ducks in a row, but wanted to run things by the helpful people here in case we're missing something glaring.

Sorry this is so long, I wanted to answer as many questions as I could according to the suggestions in the 'read this first' thread.

We are quite traditional, tho I love the modern sleek look in other people's homes. I tend to really love old looking kitchens. In reading these forums, I often like the 'befores' just as much as the 'afters' if the kitchens are mid-century or older. Unfortunately, our house would not suit a 'period' kitchen.

The main reason for the reno is to install a larger window. I live in Alberta, and our winter days are quite short. Our kitchen faces West, and we thought that a large window would help bring in more light. The current window is just over 3 ft wide, the new one will be 10 feet wide. This means that we lose all the upper cabs on the outside wall.

The kitchen itself is around 11 x 13.

We have 2 older sons, so the plan is mostly geared towards the two of us (thinking they won't live with us till they're 40 hah!).

Usually it's just me in the kitchen, sometimes the two of us, but there isn't really room to ensure that both of us will have loads of room to work. We are pretty good at working around one another.

We are planning an overhang on our island, mostly for re-sale. We will not put stools there, as the table is so close, but my DH made me a little

that I've used as my pantry for the last few years that I'd like to tuck under the island overhang. The island is not in the correct place in the drawings. When it comes time to attach it, we will ensure there is enough 'walk' room between it and the outer cabs.

DH has made

as well, that I'd like to incorporate somehow, either behind the table, or as a partial room divider between the kitchen and LR (where they are now).

I am a pretty basic cook - normal 'meat and potatoes', veggies, not too fancy generally. I love to bake bread on a regular basis, and bake treats fairly often.

Our appliances are white, very basic, and we will not be replacing them, as they are all very functional and work for us.

We have purchased the basic cabinet frames from IKEA (possibly exchangeable if necessary). My hubby will be making the doors and drawer fronts (probably white/offwhite). He is a wonderful carpenter, and has done a great deal of renos/building/DIY projects in the past.

I've planned for a pull-out trash to the right of the sink. The DW is to the left. To the left of the stove there's room for pull outs for spices, oils, etc.

I haven't put the pull out pantry in the drawings because the standard IKEA one won't fit and will have to be customized to fit into the 19" space.

Countertops will most likely be hardwood (made by DH) although the copper DIY threads are certainly tweaking my interest!!

Thank you in advance for any and all comments and suggestions! I am constantly amazed at the help that is so freely given here.

~Missy

Comments (17)