SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindac_gw

When I was a little girl....

lindac
14 years ago

Seems like a few posts lately have started like that....LOL!

Remembering when I was a little girl..I can't imagine how my mother cooked.

We lived in a big old 1903, 3 story house, with a huge dining room, big front porch and a kitchen with a stove and a sink! There was a very small piece of counter in one corner, probably 2 feet wide and maybe 30 inches deep co0vered with blue linoleum and edged with metal. Just big enough to use for squeezing juice or making a sandwich. Above was where the everyday glasses were, the juicer and the pills, bandaids and stuff for mending skinned knees.

The only work space was a porcelain topped small cupboard, like a Hoosier without the top, with 2 drawers for utensils a bread drawer and cupboards and a pull our board for rolling or chopping. That's where I learned to roll pie crust and make cookies and decorate cakes with sprinkles and dragees.

There was a maple hutch cupboard on one wall where the pink transferware dishes were kept and more glasses, and placemats and table cloths. It was on legs and the space beneath was where the dog bed always was.

Then there was a pantry cupboard...a cheap unfinished thing painted to match the woodwork and used for crackers, catsup, pasta, cereal, boxed cookies and other frequently used grocerys.

There was a big table to match the hutch in the center of the room. The only "meals" eaten there were breakfast and sometimes lunch. Most lunches and all dinners were eaten in the dining room, or on the screened porch.

The wallw here the little juice counter was also held a huge sink with a very large drain board. That was where turkeys got stuffed and apples peeled and carrots scraped. The drainboard was over a radiator and ontop of that radiator was, when not in use, an aluminum dish pan, a "soap shaker" and a wire dish drainer. That sink bathed toddlers, washed dogs, cleaned fish and collected garbage in the triangular drainer in the corner.

The refrigerator was in the entry way, a hold over from ice box days. And there was a pantry closet....huge, with a screen to allow for ventilation and cold drafts in the winter...eventually a cover was put over that.

Then there was the butler's pantry, a pretty good sized room between the kitchen and the dining room. There was cupboard on 3 walls with more fo that blue linoleum counter, big drawers beneath, deep cupboards below and glass front cupboards above. That was where the punch bowls lived and the big wooden bowls and my mother's "good dishes" Franciscan Desert Rose, and assorted odd stemmed glasses, depression glass plates. The ironing board had a spot behind the door, but it seems that it was always up and ready for a teen to iron a circle skirt.

I can't remember what the mixing bowls looked like, not where they were kept....but flour and sugar was in the pantry closet and vanilla in the cupboard.

There was a "fruit cellar" in the basement with shelves for home canned and preserved stuff....and spiders!!

There was a wall mounted Swing-a-way can opener over the sink and a think on the wall behind the door that held a shoe form to polish my penny loafers.

I made chocolate cakes from a mix with marshmallow fluff frosting, I made ginger cookies and grated carrots for carrot slaw. I made spaghetti dinner for friends and scrambled eggs for friends who had been partying late. I learned to cook in that kitchen...

So....what was the kitchen like where you learned to cook?

Linda C

Comments (13)