SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dibgar_gw

Table lighting driving us crazy!! Help needed

dibgar
16 years ago

Lighting our dining table is driving us crazy!!!

In response to an earlier post, someone recommended a strategy descibed in one of Randall Whitehead's books. He suggested using two adjustble recessed cans on either side of the central light over the table. The central light could be either a recessed downlight or a hanging fixture of some sort. The two side cans would be angled so that the lights beams shine diagonally across the table at a shallow angle. These angled side lights supposedly bouce light off the table to fill in with fewer harsh shadows.

While the side lights should be angled rather than straight down, Whitehead advised that the angle be less than 45 degrees to keep from shining in eyes. He did not specify any other numbers.

We have one 4" can with an adjustable MR16 in place, so we tried several experiments this evening. We can't seem to find the right placment or angle.

Has anyone one done this? How far from the central fixture should the lights be placed and/or how far from the ends of the table? What kind of recessed cans should we use?

Our table will be either rectangular or a long oval about 42" wide x 66-70" long. Our ceiling is just under 8' high.

We were trying to keep the angle no more than 30 degrees, but we still see some glare. If we make it less than 30 degrees, then the beams do not cross in the center of the table as shown in Whitehead's diagrams.

Our lighting store has this arrangement on display, but the ceiling is much higher so it does not really show how it would work with our own lower ceilings.

I am not sure if the small MR16 cans are right in this application as they seem rather shallow. We love them for for accenting our artwork, but I don't know if these were intended for over a table.

We are planning to use 6-inch black Alzak deep cones in other parts of the room as we like having the bulb up high out of sight. I don't know of any adjustable trims that put the bulb deep up into the can, however.

Please share recommendations for what type of cans/trims to use over the table and where to place them.

Any other suggestions??

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery