SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dibgar_gw

Over dining table--recessed cans or fixture?

dibgar
16 years ago

Does anyone use just cans rather than a light fixture over a dining table?

First, let me describe other lights in the kitchen and adjoining family room where the table is located

In the kitchen area, we will have recessed cans for task lighting plus undercabinet lights and three pendants over a raised bar on the peninsula. In the adjacent family room, we will have a few recessed cans for ambient lighting plus some sort up-lighting above a long, low entertainment wall at the far end of the room. We also will have accent lights for art in three locations. We feel OK about our plan for all of those spaces, but we struggle with how to light the dining table.

The table is in the family room several feet beyond the peninsula with its pendant lights. On the wall behind the table will be a piece of art with its own accent light. Looking from the kitchen, I want to focus on the art glass pendants in the near ground as well as on the more distant wall art. I really don't want a big fixture hanging over the table to interrupt that view. Our ceilings are less than 8 feet, so we have thought of putting two or three cans in the area to keep from breaking up the line of sight from other parts of the room.

When we are sitting at the table, however, I want sufficient light that will be pleasing for the people. Sometimes we will want soft lighting for meals, but at other times we will need bright light for grading papers, paying bills and other tasks. We will put dimmers on whatever light we choose, but I am just not sure what to choose.

I usually see some sort of hanging fixture over a table, and I can't recall seeing just recessed cans.

We will welcome all suggestions for lighting this area.

Thank you. Bonnie

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals