SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gina_w_gw

Jalapenos!

Gina_W
15 years ago

Two friends have taken pity on me and given me fresh produce from their gardens this summer (I did have to cook for them a bit) -- so I have tomatoes, cucumbers, rosemary, lemons, peaches and lots of jalapenos.

Do you have jalapeno recipes besides poppers and salsas?

Comments (9)

• triciae
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Gina, I'm working on a recipe adaption of a Forum member's (name escapes me at the moment) orange/date quick bread. The original recipe uses the whole, unpeeled orange. Anyway, I've changed the recipe's spice profile to include jalapenos. Gosh, it's good! I'm using 3 medium-sized jalapenos so it's got a nice kick mixed with the sweet of the orange & dates. But, it's not tweaked enough that I'm comfy giving it out yet. :( I've made it twice & doughy inside both times. I 'think' I'm using larger oranges than I had last winter when I made the original recipe??? Anyway, it's a thought for you to consider for your jalapenos. I need to try that bread again soon!

/t

• bunnyman
    15 years ago

Chili and curry? Chop one up fine and mix it with corn bread batter... best cornbread ever. Sometimes I'll cut them into little spears and stick them into my hamburger patties before I cook them. Spagetti sauce will take a jalapeno just fine.

Extra rosemary can be dried and stored in a glass jar.

: )
    lyra

• Related Discussions

Jalapeno Mint Jelly

Q

Comments (4)
    I made the original recipe a couple of years ago and we liked it. I have a big patch of mint that I've been thinking of cutting back. This would be a good use. Thanks for posting the conversion. I can buy powdered sure-jell here most of the time but have to have my mom mail be certo.
    ...See More

Jalapeno Golden Cayenne cross??

Q

Comments (4)
    i'm in this boat currently. I grew Jalapeno and golden Cayenne last year and happy with both last year, I saved seeds from the golden cayenne and I had seeds from the seed pack for the jalapeno for this year. Well, what I have is short squat misshapen jalapenos maybe half inch in diameter, about an inch, inch and a half long that have ZERO spiciness, all you taste is the jalapeno pepper. like a small "coolapeno", then I have fat short stubby cayenne peppers, that start green, turned half yellow from the stem end, and are now going over to orange, while the bottom half is green still. Hopefully they will have some heat, I am disappointed with the jalapenos, although ONE plant has produced (so far) a nice looking jalapeno pepper that looks right and is of right proportions, I'm not hopeful it will be hot though.... but this must be current cross pollination affecting the fruits, while the cayenne is crossbreed seeds. Also I have bell peppers in the mix and I only have about 2x 25 sq foot spaces to grow in so kind of stuck. Also the plants don't produce well at all, half dozen small peppers at a time, and my bell peppers produce small bells also, one at a time regardless of how many blossoms there are on the plant. Just a mess of what's going on here, totally my fault of course. No more saving hybrid seeds from year to year, and sticking to just ONE variety at a time in each growing space, hopefully they are far enough apart (roughly 30 linear feet between them) to not have cross pollination issues anymore.
    ...See More

Pickled jalapenos floating

Q

Comments (7)
    More headspace may lead to a weaker vacuum seal, and also allows for spoilage from yeasts, molds, etc. (even if seal is intact) b/c all the air may not be evacuated. Insufficient headspace will lead to boil-over and again may get a weak seal b/c food can get b/t the lid and rim. But neither of those will lead to botulism. In fact, more oxygen = better for that, since spores only produce toxin in anaerobic environment. So it's a quality issue. Not that you can't get sick from spoiled food, but just discard it if it gets moldy or if the brine gets murky. If it stays sealed, your jars are OK, but will bear watching - if seal comes undone next day, stick it in the fridge or reprocess from the beginning (heat brine, new clean hot jar, new lid). More than 24 hours, throw it away. Or just open them now and stick'em in the fridge. Best to try to stick to the headspace recommended in the recipe. Though my jams always seem to have more than I start out with, they really seem to "settle" in the canner. Whenever I try to squeeze it to minimum, though, I even up with no/weak seals. Gardenweb Harvest forum is a great place to get these sorts of questions answered - people with lots more experience than I over there. Here is a link that might be useful: Problems with canned food - NCHFP
    ...See More

Jalapenos turning red too early!

Q

Comments (5)
    I don't know if watering in itself would cause premature ripe fruits, but I think you should water less in any case. Peppers like their potting mix to drain really well, with lots of perlite and bark if possible. MG is still fine, but will retain water longer than a chunkier mix. This might turn your bell and poblano pepper around as well. I think thick flesh varieties are more prone to rot from over watering. Some of mine did that last year when they were overwatered while I was away for two weeks. Even some of my thin skin hots cracked from it! How's weather been like since the fruits set? I've also had many Habanero-like pods ripen when barely dime-size, but now have a few new pods showing signs of normal growth. This might have been caused by somewhat cool and cloudy conditions for me. I suppose several plant stresses might cause premature ripe fruits. I just pick them as soon as I see a change in colour. Just do this and your plant should start behaving normally eventually, especially if an environmental stress is removed. Almost all my peppers had been doing terrible (in various ways) until a week or two and I now see improvement in all of them. Just give it a bit of time, good luck!
    ...See More
  • gardenguru1950
    15 years ago

You're in luck!!!

This week, it's "Southwestern Cuisine" in my "Epicurean Kitchen Garden" class. Here are the recipes that include jalapenos (or similar peppers):

CHILI RELLENOS WON TONS
    Makes 6 dozen appetizers

Ingredients

2 lbs ground beef
    2 medium onions, chopped finely
    2 cups shredded cheese
    teaspoon leaf oregano
    ½ teaspoon cumin
    Dash garlic salt
    1 medium green chili, roasted, minced
    1 package won ton wrappers
    oil for frying

Directions

Brown and drain beef. Combine beef, onion, cheese, oregano, cumin, garlic salt and chilies.

Place a small spoonful of meat mixture on each won ton wrapper and follow package directions for folding and sealing.

Deep fry 1-½ minutes or until golden brown, drain on paper towels.

Serve warm.

BLACK BEAN CHICKEN CHILI
    Ingredients:

2-4 medium jalapenos, chopped
    1 large onion, chopped
    5 cloves garlic, minced fine
    olive oil
    32 oz tomatoes, chopped fine
    8 oz tomato sauce
    6 oz tomato paste
    2 tsp salt
    1 Tbs oregano
    3 Tbs chili powder
    2 tsp cumin
    1 tsp cayenne pepper
    45 oz black beans (canned with liquid;
    or homemade, cooked)
    1 large rotisserie-cooked chicken, shredded
    and chopped into bite-sized pieces

Directions

Sauté green pepper and onion in olive oil on medium heat until soft.

Add garlic and cook another 1-2 minutes.

Add tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce and seasonings and simmer for 35 minutes.

Add beans and chicken and mix until thoroughly combined. Cook for an additional 20 minutes to warm.

Serve with sour cream, shredded cheese and cornbread.

CORN SALSA
    Serves 8-12

Ingredients:

4 medium ears sweet corn
    ½ pound tomatoes, peeled, seeded, diced
    10 large roasted and peeled green chiles
    2 small zucchini, peeled and minced
    1 medium purple onion, minced
    1 medium red bell pepper, minced
    2 medium yellow hot peppers, minced
    1 small jalapeno, minced
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    2 Tbs fresh cilantro, chopped
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp fresh milled black pepper
    4 Tbs olive oil
    1-½ Tbs red wine vinegar

Directions

Put the corn in cold water and bring to a boil. Cook corn, covered, for 12 minutes. You can blanch the chiles in the boiling water with the corn. Drain, set aside to cool.

In a large glass or ceramic bowl start combining ingredients. Add the tomatoes, chilies, zucchini, onion, bell peppers, chili, jalapeno, garlic and cilantro.

Cut the corn off the cob (it should be cool enough to handle by now).

NOTE: After you have taken the kernels off the cob run the dull side of your knife down the cob to extricate the small white seed-like material. This is where the sweet in sweet corn comes from. Add to bowl.

Add the vinegar and oil.

Salt and pepper to taste.

GRILLED JALAPENO POPPERS (yes, another popper recipe)

Makes 10 poppers

Ingredients

10 medium fresh jalapenos
    ¼ pound cheese, sliced (Asadero, cheddar, Monterrey Jack,
    or even cream cheese will work, or a combination of your choice, as long as it will melt)
    1 medium onion, cut across and then into longitudinal slices
    10 slices bacon
    Toothpicks (soaked at least 20 minutes in water)

Directions

Slice the Jalapenos down the center from the stem (just below the stem) to just almost before the tip of the jalapeno chile pepper, avoiding cutting through the stem. Squeeze the pepper at the top and bottom to make a slight opening in the pepper. Carefully clean out the seeds and membranes while avoiding separating the pepper into two parts.

CAUTION: Jalapenos can be very hot. Use caution and wear rubber gloves if you have skin sensitivity. Keep hands away from face and eyes. Wash hands thoroughly with warm water and soap when finished handling peppers.
    Slice the cheese into 1½-inch long by ½ wide and thick slices.

Slice the onion into wedges that are about ¼-inch wide.

Slide a piece of cheese and an onion slice into each pepper.

Take a slice of bacon, wrap it around the pepper tightly, and use the toothpick to secure the bacon in place (skewered through the pepper).

Preheat barbecue grill.

Place the stuffed jalapeños over a hot grill (if you have a top warming rack this
    works well). Turn every 5 to 6 minutes to cook evenly. When the bacon is done remove to a plate to allow to cool.

CREMA DE CHILI JALAPENO CON QUESO BLANCO
    Cheesey Creamed Poblano Chili with Corn

Makes approximately 6 servings

Ingredients

3 tablespoons olive oil
    1 medium onion, finely diced
    1 small clove garlic, crushed fine
    1 ½ cups roasted corn, removed from the cob
    8 large jalapeno chilies, roasted and peeled
    1 tablespoon flour
    ¼ cup milk
    ¼ cup firm white cheese (Monterrey Jack, Queso Quesadilla and Asadero work well)*

Directions

Roast the chiles over medium high heat, under the broiler, or over an open flame (such as your grill). Turn the chilies frequently to prevent over cooking on any one side, and let the entire chile pepper become charred and blackened. Remove from the heat and place in a slightly damp towel, allow to cool to loosen the skin. Once cool, carefully peel the skin from the chili, remove the stem end, and slice open to remove the seeds. Dice the chili in 1/2-inch by 1/2-inch pieces; set to the side.

Heat the olive oil in a large heavy skillet over medium high heat. Add the onion and sauté until just beginning to become translucent and then add the garlic. Sauté for another minute before adding the corn and chile.
    Add the corn and chili and sauté these for 1 to 2 minutes, just enough to heat thoroughly and slightly brown the edges. Remove the onion, garlic, corn and chile from the pan and set to the side.

Add the flour and stir constantly until it begins to brown slightly.

Slowly pour the milk into the cooked flour while stirring constantly. Continue to stir until the mixture begins to form thickened "gravy".

Add the cheese and stir until melted.

Return the onion, garlic, chili and corn to the pan and stir until all of these are covered with the cheese sauce.

Add salt and pepper to taste.

Serve as a side dish as is or use it as sauce over potatoes, meat or other vegetables.

ROASTED CHILI AND TOMATILLO SALSA
    Serves many

Ingredients

6 to 10 medium chili peppers, your choice (such as poblano,
    jalapeno, serrano, etc.)*
    10 medium tomatillos
    1 bunch green onions
    6 cloves garlic, minced
    ½ teaspoon coriander seeds, toasted and crushed**
    Juice of 1 to 2 limes (according to your taste)
    ½ small bunch cilantro, finely chopped
    Coarse salt, to taste

Corn chips

* How hot you make your salsa depends on the kind of chilies and the amount you use.

** To lightly toast coriander seeds, cook them in a small dry skillet over medium heat until the aroma is released. Crush with a mortar and pestle or seal in a plastic bag and crush with a heavy pan.

Directions

Preheat the broiler of your oven. Wash and dry the peppers. Remove husks from tomatillos; wash and pat dry. Place chili peppers and tomatillos on a baking sheet; broil 3 to 5 minutes each side until blackened. Remove from oven. Place hot chile pepper in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap or an airtight lid, and allow to steam for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, remove chile peppers. Using a sharp knife, remove stems, skins and seeds.
    Warning: Always wear gloves when working with hot chile peppers (fresh, dried or roasted chiles). Never touch your eyes when working with chiles.

Roughly chop tomatillos, chili peppers and green onions. Place in food processor
    or blender and add garlic and toasted coriander seeds. Pulse until uniform in texture, but not pureed.

Stir in lime juice, cilantro, and salt, to taste.

SOUTHWEST CORN CUSTARD WITH ROASTED PEPPERS

Makes 4 to 6 servings

Ingredients

2 ½ cups fresh corn kernels (or 1 pound frozen corn kernels,
    thawed, divided)
    ¼ cup sugar
    1 ¼ teaspoons salt
    1 cup milk
    ¾ cup heavy cream
    4 large eggs
    ½ whole vanilla bean, split lengthwise and seeds scraped
    (or 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract)
    ½ cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled to touch
    4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    ¼ cup chopped green chilies (4-6 jalapenos or 3-4 roasted Anaheim or poblano chiles), peeled, and seeds removed*
    1/8 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg

* Roast chilies by slicing them in half lengthwise, placing them on a cookie sheet, brushing very lightly with olive oil and then putting them under the broiler until the skin has charred and appears loose on the pepper. Then wrap the pepper with a slightly dampened paper towel and place them in a closeable plastic bag until they have cooled to touch. The skin should peel easily from the pepper.

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350° F. and butter a 1 ½-quart shallow casserole or quiche dish.

In the food processor, pulse ½ of the corn until it forms a paste (this will take approximately 8 to 10 pulses on most food processors).

In a medium-sized bowl, mix the corn paste, the remainder of the whole corn kernels, sugar, salt, milk, cream, eggs, and vanilla seeds or extract. Mix well, taking care to make sure the processed corn paste is mixed in thoroughly or you will have clumps in your finished dish.

Add the flour, butter, and diced green chilies, stirring until combined.
    Pour the mixture into your prepared casserole or quiche dish. Sprinkle the nutmeg over the custard.

Bake on the middle rack of your oven until the center is just set, about 40 to 45 minutes (30 minutes at the same temperature if you are using a convection oven). Remove from oven.
    Allow to the corn custard to set for approximately 5 minutes before serving.

CALABACITAS, CALIFORNIA STYLE

Serves 4-6

Ingredients

4 Tbs olive oil
    2 small jalapenos, chopped
    1 medium onion, diced
    3 small zucchini, or other summer squash,
    unpeeled, diced large
    1 clove garlic, chopped (optional)
    1 small tomato, chopped
    1 ½ cup cooked/blanched corn kernels
    ¼ pound Monterey jack cheese, cut into small chunks
    1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lime juice (optional)
    1 tablespoon finely minced fresh cilantro (optional)
    Salt and freshly-ground black pepper

Directions

Heat the oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat. Add the peppers and onion and sauté until soft.

Add the squash and garlic and cook for 2 minutes.

Add the tomato and just heat.

Add corn and cheese. Put lid on pan and continue cooking on reduced heat until cheese is melted and corn is heated through.

Add lime juice, cilantro, salt and pepper to taste.

Serve hot with diced avocado as an optional topping.

SANTA FE CORN SOUFFLé

Serves 8

Ingredients

2 cups fresh corn kernels stripped from the cob
    5 tablespoons butter
    ¼ cup finely chopped onion
    3 large eggs, separated
    ¼ cup roasted, peeled, and chopped fresh jalapenos
    ½ teaspoon salt

Directions

Heat oven to 375° F degrees.

Using 2 tablespoons of the butter, grease a 1 ½-quart soufflé dish. Sprinkle dish lightly with flour to prevent soufflé from sticking. Set aside.

In a medium skillet, sauté onion in remaining butter until soft.

In a food processor, combine egg yolks, onion and corn. Process until corn is fine. Transfer to a large bowl.

Stir in chilies and salt.

Beat egg whites until stiff. With a rubber spatula, fold gently but thoroughly into corn mixture. Scrape into prepared soufflé dish.

Bake 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 350° F and bake 30 minutes longer, until lightly browned and when a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.

Blue Corn Pozole Stew

Ingredients

l large onion, coarsely chopped
    2 teaspoons light olive oil
    2 to 8 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
    1 to 2 cups dry white wine (or just water)
    2 ½ cups chicken stock plus enough water to cover pozole,
    add more as needed but donÂt get too wet
    21 ounces dry blue corn pozole
    or 3 29-ounce cans yellow or white hominy
    3 pounds lamb or pork roast, trimmed of fat
    and cut into 1-inch cubes
    2 to 4 medium fresh mild, long green chiles,
    seeded and finely chopped
    1 whole bay leaf
    1 tablespoon oregano
    Salt to taste
    ½ cup chopped parsley or cilantro or mix
    Lime or lemon wedges

Directions

In a 6- to 8-quart pot, cook the onion in the oil until soft, stirring often.

Add the water, chicken stock and white wine. Bring to a rolling boil and add the dry pozole. Simmer slowly on low heat for 3 to 4 hours. Add more liquid if necessary.

(If you are using canned hominy, skip this step. Cook the meat as instructed below with the liquids and seasonings, using just enough water to cover the meat. Add the canned hominy with the parsley and cilantro. Heat to serving temperature.)

When the pozole kernels start to split open, add the meat cubes (I like it best when seared well, beforehand), garlic, green chiles, bay leaf and oregano and cook on low heat for about 1 hour longer, until the meat is no longer pink in the center.

Salt to taste (optional).

Add the parsley or cilantro just before serving.

Serve with lime or lemon wedges.

COWBOY CAVIAR

Serves 6 as a side, 12 as an appetizer

Ingredients:

2 cups black-eyed peas (fresh cooked or canned)
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    2 small green chilies, chopped
    Dash of cayenne pepper or your favorite hot sauce
    2 tablespoons minced onion
    2 tablespoons minced celery
    2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
    ¼ teaspoon salt
    Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
    2 medium Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
    1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, minced

Directions:

Drain peas, rinse with cold water and drain again.

Combine olive oil, chilies, cayenne, onion, celery, vinegar, salt and
    pepper, and mix well. Pour over peas and stir gently.

Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.

At serving time, add chopped tomatoes and cilantro and mix carefully.

TEX-MEX CHICKEN PASTA
    Serves 6

Ingredients:

3 cups ziti pasta
    2 tsp chopped jalapeno or serrano peppers
    1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    1/3 cup sliced ripe olives
    ½ cup prepared basil pesto
    ½ cup evaporated milk or heavy cream
    ¼ cup grated Cotija cheese
    1 Tbsp olive oil
    1- ½ lbs chicken breast tenders
    1 medium onion, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 medium green bell pepper, sliced
    1 medium red bell pepper, sliced

Directions

Bring a large pot of water to a boil.

In small bowl combine peppers, cilantro, olives, pesto, milk, and Cotija cheese; set aside.

Heat olive oil in large skillet and add chicken. Stir fry over medium high heat until light brown.

Add onion, garlic, and peppers and stir fry until chicken is thoroughly cooked and peppers are crisp tender.

When you start cooking the chicken, start cooking the pasta in the boiling water. When al dente, drain, reserving 1/4 cup pasta cooking liquid.

Mix the cooked and drained pasta with the pesto mixture along with enough pasta cooking liquid to make a sauce. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes until heated through.

Combine the pasta and the chicken and vegetables.

Serve immediately.

SOUTHWESTERN CAESAR SALAD

Serves 6

Ingredients:

For the dressing:

¼ cup sour cream
    ½ cup olive oil
    ¼ cup fresh lime juice (about 2 medium limes)
    ¼ cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro
    2 tablespoons chili powder
    1 teaspoon minced garlic
    1 tablespoon minced fresh chile pepper of your choice
    Salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste

For the salad:

1/3 cup olive oil
    1 teaspoon minced garlic
    1 tablespoon ground cumin
    2 cups diced cornbread, in 1/2-inch cubes,
    or other bread of your choice
    1 head romaine lettuce, outer leaves removed, inner leaves
    washed, dried, and torn in halves or thirds
    2 medium avocados, peeled, pitted, and quartered
    2 medium tomatoes, cored and quartered
    1 small red onion, peeled, halved, and thinly sliced
    1/3 cup grated Cotija cheese (sub Parmesan)

Directions:

In a small bowl, combine the sour cream and olive oil and whisk together (it will
    look a little curdled, but don't worry). Add the remaining dressing ingredients and whisk to blend (now it should be smooth). Set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the olive oil, garlic, and cumin and mix well. Add the bread cubes and toss well to coat. Put the seasoned cubes on an un-greased baking sheet and bake in a 350° F. oven until crisp on the outside but still chewy inside, about 10 minutes.

In a large bowl, combine the romaine lettuce, avocados, tomatoes, and onion. Stir
    the dressing well, add just enough to moisten the ingredients (there will be some dressing left over) and toss to coat. Sprinkle with cheese and croutons and serve.
    SOUTHWEST VEGETABLE PAELLA
    Serves 6

Ingredients

2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 medium green pepper, cut into 1" pieces
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 cup long-grain white rice, uncooked
    14 ½ ounces vegetable broth
    1 cup tomatoes, peeled, chopped
    2 medium green chilies, roasted, diced
    ¼ teaspoon turmeric
    ¼ teaspoon red pepper
    1 pound black beans, cooked, rinsed & drained
    1 ½ cup corn kernels (drained if canned)

Directions

In a large skillet, heat olive oil and cook onion, green pepper, and garlic till tender (4-5 minutes).

Add rice, vegetable broth, tomatoes, green chilies and spices. Bring to a boil,
    reduce heat to lowest setting, cover, and simmer 15 minutes.

Stir in black beans and corn, cover and cook an additional 15 minutes.

CHILI CORNBREAD
    Makes 12 servings

Ingredients:

¼ cup chopped red bell pepper
    ¼ cup chopped green bell pepper
    Nonstick cooking spray
    2 small jalapeño peppers,* minced
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    ¾ cup corn kernels
    1- ½ cups yellow cornmeal
    ½ cup all-purpose flour
    2 tablespoons sugar
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    ½ teaspoon baking soda
    ½ teaspoon ground cumin
    ½ teaspoon salt
    1- ½ cups low-fat buttermilk
    1 large egg
    2 large egg whites
    4 tablespoons butter, melted

Directions

Preheat oven to 425°F. Spray 8 X 8-inch square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.

Spray small skillet with cooking spray. Add bell and jalapeño peppers and garlic; cook and stir 3 to 4 minutes or until peppers are tender. Stir in corn; cook 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat.

Combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cumin and salt in large bowl. Add buttermilk, egg, egg whites and margarine; mix until blended. Stir in corn mixture.

Pour batter into prepared baking pan. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire rack.

Cut into 12 squares before serving.

COWBOY-STYLE SOUTHWEST CORNBREAD
    Cornbread

Serves 10

Ingredients

1 cup cornmeal
    1/3 cup all-purpose flour
    2 tablespoons sugar
    ½ teaspoon salt
    1 dash white pepper
    2 teaspoons double-acting baking powder
    ½ teaspoon baking soda
    2 large eggs, beaten
    1 cup buttermilk
    ½ cup vegetable oil
    8 ¾ ounces creamed corn
    1/3 cup yellow onion, minced
    2 tablespoons hot chili peppers, minced
    1 tablespoon red bell pepper, minced
    ½ cup Monterey jack cheese, shredded

Directions

Combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt, pepper, baking soda and baking powder.

Combine the remaining ingredients and add to the first mixture. Blend only until mixed; do not over-mix.

Bake in an iron skillet. Melt two tablespoons butter in the pan on the stovetop first. Off the heat, pour in the mixture and finish in the oven.

OPTIONAL: Place mixture in a 10-inch greased baking pan.

Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 35 minutes or until golden brown.

SAN FRANCISCO CRAB ENCHILADAS WITH CHIPOTLE CREAM SAUCE

Makes 12 appetizer or 6 main-course servings

Ingredients

¾ lb fresh "wild" mushrooms (such as Chanterelle,
    Porcini, Shiitake) or button mushrooms
    1 cup unsalted butter
    1 tsp shallot, minced
    ½ cup dry vermouth
    1 lb cooked Dungeness crabmeat, drained and - picked over
    Chipotle cream sauce (see recipe below)
    ¼ cup snipped fresh chives
    ¼ tsp freshly ground pepper
    12 7- or 8-inch blue corn or yellow corn tortillas

Directions

Cut off any hard stems from mushrooms and discard. Thinly slice mushrooms. Melt ½ cup butter in heavy large skillet over medium-low heat. Add mushrooms and shallot and cook until tender, stirring frequently, about 10 minutes. Add vermouth and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until almost no liquid remains in pan, stirring occasionally, about 6 minutes.

Melt remaining ½ cup butter in heavy medium skillet over medium heat. Add crab and stir until heated through. Combine with mushrooms.

Mix in ¾ cup chipotle sauce, chives and pepper and bring to boil, stirring constantly. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cool completely. Cover and refrigerate.) Set aside.

Preheat oven to 350°F. Stack tortillas and wrap in foil. Bake until heated through, about 10 minutes. Re-warm filling over low heat, stirring occasionally.

Place 1 tortilla on each plate. Divide filling among tortillas. Fold tortilla up as for letter, enclosing filling. Turn enchiladas seam side down. Spoon remaining sauce over and serve.

Chipotle Cream Sauce Recipe for Crab Enchiladas

12 whole chipotle chiles (smoked jalapenos), stemmed
    1 tsp shallot, minced
    ½ tsp garlic, minced
    1 Stick unsalted butter (½ cup)
    1 cup dry white wine
    2 cup heavy cream
    ½ cup onion, diced
    ½ tsp cornstarch dissolved in 2 tsp water
    1 Tbs Fresh rosemary - minced
    1 ¼ tsp Freshly ground pepper

Bring large pot of water to boil. Add chiles and boil until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup cooking liquid. Puree chiles with 1/4 cup cooking liquid in blender. Strain through sieve. Set aside.

Melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon chipotle paste, onion, rosemary, pepper, shallot and garlic and stir 2 minutes.

Add wine and boil until reduced by half.

Add cream and boil until reduced to thin sauce consistency, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Taste, adding more chipotle paste if desire.

Add cornstarch mixture and boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cool completely. Cover and refrigerate. Re-warm before using.)

Makes 3-¾ cups

SOUTHWEST EGGROLLS

Serves 5

Ingredients

Eggroll

1 whole chicken breast filet
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    2 tablespoons minced red bell pepper
    2 tablespoons minced green onion
    1/3 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen
    ¼ cup black beans, cooked, rinsed and drained
    1 cup spinach, chopped fine
    2 tablespoons diced jalapeno peppers
    ½ tablespoon minced fresh parsley
    ½ teaspoon cumin
    ½ teaspoon chili powder
    ¼ teaspoon salt
    1 dash cayenne pepper
    ¾ cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
    5 7-inch flour tortillas

Dipping Sauce

¼ cup smashed fresh avocado (about half of an avocado)
    ¼ cup mayonnaise
    ¼ cup sour cream
    1 tablespoon buttermilk
    1 ½ teaspoons white vinegar
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon dried parsley
    1/8 teaspoon onion powder
    1 dash dried dill weed
    1 dash garlic powder
    1 dash pepper

Garnish

2 tablespoons chopped tomatoes
    1 tablespoon chopped onion

Directions

Preheat barbecue grill to high heat.

Rub the chicken breast with some vegetable oil then grill it on the barbecue for 4
    to 5 minutes per side or until done.

Lightly salt and pepper each side of the chicken while it cooks.

Set chicken aside until it cools down enough to handle.

Preheat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a medium-size skillet over medium-high heat.

Add the red pepper and onion to the pan and sauté for a couple minutes until tender.

Dice the cooked chicken into small cubes and add it to the pan.

Add the corn, black beans, spinach, jalapeno peppers, parsley, cumin, chili powder, salt, and cayenne pepper to the pan.

Cook for another 4 minutes.

Stir well so that the spinach separates and is incorporated into the mixture.

Remove the pan from the heat and add the cheese.

Stir until the cheese is melted.

Wrap the tortillas in a moist cloth and microwave on high temperature for 1 1/2 minutes or until hot.

Spoon approximately one-fifth of the mixture into the center of a tortilla.

Fold in the ends and then roll the tortilla over the mixture.

Roll the tortilla very tight, and then pierce with a toothpick to hold together.

Repeat with the remaining ingredients until you have five eggrolls.

Arrange the eggrolls on a plate, cover the plate with plastic wrap and freeze for at least 4 hours. Overnight is best.

While the eggrolls freeze prepare the avocado-ranch dipping sauce by combining all of the ingredients in a small bowl.

Preheat 4-6 cups of oil to 375 degrees.

Deep fry the eggrolls in the hot oil for 12-15 minutes and remove to paper towels or a rack to drain for about 2 minutes.

Slice each eggroll diagonally lengthwise and arrange on a plate around a small bowl of the dipping sauce.

Garnish the dipping sauce with the chopped tomato and onion.

AND JUST FOR FUN....
    Raspberry and Watermelon Sparkling Ice Tea

Serves 9

Ingredients

4 cups boiling water
    3 raspberry tea bags
    1 cup raspberries
    1 cinnamon stick
    ½ cup sugar
    2 tablespoons Raspberry Liquor (optional)
    4 cups watermelon, chilled, pureed/strained
    3 cups sparkling wine , chilled *** (see note)

Directions:

To the boiling water add the tea bags, ½ the raspberries, cinnamon stick, sugar and liquor. Let stand. Remove the cinnamon stick after 5 minutes. Remove the tea bags after 10 minutes.

Let the tea mixture come to room temperature. Chill for 2 hours.

Strain the tea mixture into a glass pitcher.

Strain the watermelon juice through a fine strainer. Add the watermelon juice to the tea and mix well.

To serve, fill a tall glass 2/3 with the raspberry/watermelon tea. Top the glass with cold sparking wine.

Garnish with raspberries and watermelon cubes.

*** Note: You can make this ice tea without the sparking wine. It will be sweeter without the wine so adjust the sugar to your liking. You can also replace the wine with ginger ale or club soda.

Joe

• Gina_W
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Holy cow Joe! Thank you! All those recipes sound fantastic. I love that Tex-mex kind of Q-zine! I'm printing 'em all out and see what I come up with.

Tricia I'm bake-o-phobic - I do banana bread when the bananas are too ripe, and I made dump cake for 4th of July at a friend's house (everyone loved it and wondered when it was I left the party to bake, LOL). But I'll search for the recipe and give it a look.

Lyra, I'm going to do just that - dry the rosemary. I love cornbread/corncake/corn stuff, so using some of the peppers in cornbread is a must. I even have cornmeal at home. So I'll just have to white-knuckle my way into baking a batch!

• jimster
    15 years ago

Joe, between this thread and the Indian one, you have given me enough recipes to last for many months.

Thanks!

Jim

• centralcacyclist
    15 years ago

I know you don't need a salsa recipe but this one from Linda C is really good:

Posted by lindac (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 14, 07 at 10:47

Found this one while looking for something else..This is very yummy....one of those things you forget between cranberry seasons. I serve it with tortilla chips...usually those scoopers which hold a lot.

Cranberry salsa from BJ Irwin

1 12 oz package cranberries
    chopped fine
    1 8 oz can crushed pineapple with juice
    1/3 cup cilantrochopped
    1 seeded jalapeno pepper and chopped fine
    ¼ c. onion chopped
    ¼ cup green pepper chopped
    1 tsp salt
    2/3 cup sugar ( or less)

Linda C

I used more pineapple than above because I had a large can. Everyone (my kids and I) loved it.

• Gina_W
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OMG! Last night I made Joe's SOUTHWEST CORN CUSTARD WITH ROASTED PEPPERS. It was divine! I have pix I will post later this evening. It was like a cross between quiche and flan. Very tasy, very tasty indeed. Thanks again Joe - I printed out all your recipes and shopped for ingredients. I'll certainly be making something else from that list soon.

• Gina_W
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay y'all!

Here's heaven:

• kandm
    15 years ago

Cut them in half long ways, stuff them with cream cheese, wrap them in bacon and grill/broil.