SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosylady

My Fabulous New Pot Rack!

rosylady
11 years ago

Over the Christmas holidays I had to decide if I would like a pot rack in our new kitchen so we could add blocking behind the bead board ceiling that was being installed.

I was truly torn. I do think pot racks contribute a lot of visual clutter to a room. I also think they are a little bit silly when they are more decorative and loaded with stuff than used and functional on a daily basis with real working pots and pans.

All that being said, I still wanted one. What's more, my husband wanted one too. I can count on one hand the times we both really wanted the same thing in this project, so I had to really consider it.

Even though I am great at visualizing, this was too big a decision to leave up to just my imagination. So, I uttered the dreaded words my husband hates to hear: mock-up.

I can't do anything around here without mocking it up first! I love it. It's entertaining. I get to pretend I have a working kitchen for a few minutes as I pretend a giant box is my stove and an old table on top of sawhorses is my island.

I pretend I'm cooking a dinner party for 12. The pressure's on and all the courses are prepped and ready. All the burners are going. Guests are mingling. Are they bumping their heads on my mock-up pot rack? Am I bumping my head? Is my husband bumping his head?

Are there too many dank and dangling pots on view from the dining room table? I run into the dining room and pretend I'm sitting at the table. My husband is sighing and looking bored. I'm making him pretend he is a guest who is helping me cook. Can he reach the pots? Ok, now I make him pretend he is a short guest, can he still reach? He starts getting testy at this point...

I release him from his torture and continue on with my mock up fantasy. It's hard to embrace the look when you have an old broom handle hanging from the ceiling by decrepit old chain from a defunct light fixture. Hanging from it are a motley collection of cheap, beat up stainless pots and pans. But the piece de resistance is the vintage 1910's light fixture you have dangling amidst the pots, trying to see how on earth you are going to get good lighting with all these pots in the way!

">

So, my range will go in between the two french doors. I think if I make the pot rack a single rail centered down the middle of the island it will work. It won't be a headbanger, it will only hold one single line of pots and pans, so there will be a little bit less visual clutter.

I'm not sure what to do about the light situation. I am making the potrack myself out of brass pipe and fittings, so I could run the electrical for the light down through the pipe and have it hang from the rack itself. Also, not sure if I should do the one big light, as pictured, or 2-3 smaller lights.

Here are a few more pictures.

">

Hee, hee just in case you want to construct one for yourself:

">

Comments (18)