SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caliloo_gw

Blueberries - need recipes please!

caliloo
11 years ago

I looked through the cookalong recipes and didn't find one for blueberries - I thought we had done one.... Anyway, I am looking for all sorts of recipes for blueberries. Please post your "tried and true" ones here!

Thanks

Alexa

Comments (17)

• chase_gw
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

This one is actually Ann T's but I've made it so often my family thinks it's mine! LOL

Blueberry Upside-Down Cake (Ann T from Canadian Living)

1/4 c melted butter
    1/2 c brown sugar
    2 c blueberries (fresh or
    -Frozen)
    1 T lemon juice
    1/2 c butter
    3/4 c granulated sugar
    1 egg
    1 t vanilla
    1 1/3 c all-purpose flour
    2 t baking powder
    1/4 t salt
    1 t cinnamon (optional)
    3/4 c milk

[Note: Often called gateau aux bleuets or pouding aux bleuets, this
    cake and its many variations are popular in Quebec. Taken warm from the
    oven and turned upside-down, it becomes a delicious pudding to serve
    with whipped cream; left in the pan to cool, it becomes a cake. Add
    cinnamon it you like a pleasant spiciness; omit for a plain white cake.
    ] In 9 inch square cake pan, combine melted butter and brown sugar;
    spread evenly on bottom. Spread blueberries evenly over top. Sprinkle
    with lemon juice.

Cream butter; gradually add sugar, beating until light. Beat in egg
    and vanilla. Sift or mix together flour, baking powder, salt and
    cinnamon if using. Add dry ingredients alternately with milk to
    creamed mixture. Spread batter evenly over blueberry layer. Bake in
    350F oven for 45 to 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centre
    comes out clean. Let cool 10 minutes in pan, then turn out on to large
    flat plate.

• lindac
    11 years ago

pasting what I have.....and remember the marion Burrows Summer Torte....great with blue berries.

BLUEBERRY YOGURT MUFFINS
    2 c. all purpose flour
    1/3 c. sugar
    1 tsp. baking powder
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1/4 c. unsweetened orange juice
    2 tbsp. vegetable oil
    1 tsp. vanilla extract
    1 (8 oz.) carton vanilla low fat
    yogurt
    1 egg
    1 c. fresh or frozen blueberries
    Vegetable cooking spray
    1 tbsp. sugar

Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl; make a well in center of mixture. Combine orange juice and next 4 ingredients. Add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened. Gently fold in blueberries. Coat muffin pan with cooking spray and divide batter among 12 muffin cups. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 400 degrees for 18 minutes or until golden brown.

The blueberry lemon bread is very much like a pound cake. For that reason I put the slash in the title.
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    Ingredients:
    1/4 cup butter/margerine/shortening
    7/8 cup sugar (isn't that the weirdest measurement? I've always done it, but am considering trying afull cup next time - it will make it more cake like)
    1 egg 3 cups flour
    3-1/2 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp salt
    1-1/3 cup milk (I use skim or 2% because that's what I have here. I'm sure whole milk would be better)
    grated rind of 1 lemon (2 tsp Durkee grated lemon rind -- the dried or freeze dried stuff - does work just as well and is easier)
    1 tsp ground mace
    1 cup blueberrys, washed and drained (frozen work well too, and it's ok to throw in some extra)
    Creme butter/shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.
    Add egg and beat well.
    Sift together flour, baking powder and salt and add this mixture alternately with the milk, beating until batter is smooth and thick. ( I'm lazy and never sift these things together, but add baking powder and salt to above mixture and then add unsifted flour alternately with the milk -- works just fine)
    Stir in lemon rind and mace until well blended (I put that in with the baking powder and salt) .
    Gently fold in blueberrys until well blended
    Pour mixture into buttered 9x5x3 inch loaf pan and bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes or unti top is firm and brown, or the old toothpick test says it's done (any pan you want works).
    Remove from pan and cool thorougly on a rack before slicing.
    Eat it up; it'g good the next day too.

This recipe is killer...no matter what fruit you use! works well with blue berries.
    Master recipe for fruit tarts….Cooks Magazine
    Glaze:
    1 cup of Apricot preserves or red current jelly
    1 T water……melt together ( a liquor is nice instead of the water….)

Pastry Cream
    2 ½ T flour
    ¼ cup sugar
    pinch salt
    3 egg yolks
    1 cup milk
    1 tsp vanilla…or liquor
    2 tsps butter
    Pastry
    1 1/4 cups AP flour
    1 /4 cup cake flour
    !/4 cup sugar
    1/4tsp salt
    !/4 lb chilled bitter
    2 egg yolks
    Water if needed

Fruit

For glaze melt and strain if using preserves….keeps weeks covered in refrig

For pastry cream
    Mix dry ingredients
    Beat yolks and beat into dry ingredients
    add milk and whisk over low heat until bubbles break the surface….and continue cooking 1 minute longer. Remove from heat and stir in butter and liquor or vanilla.
    Cover with plastic wrap ( right on the surface!) and chill

Pastry
    Mix dry ingredients in a bowl, cut in ( or work in with your fingers) the butter until mix resembles coarse meal
    Work in beaten egg yolks
    And add water if needed to hold dough together.
    Form into flattened ball, wrap and chill at least 30 minutes ( or up to 2 days)

Have ready tart pan with removable bottom ( 9 inch) and roll out crust, fit into pan and roll pin over the top of tin to cut dough off. Press dough into corners of pan and chill at least 15 minutes….or over night

Heat oven to 350 , place greased foil in tart crust, weight with dry beans or pie weights and bake 10 minutes ….remove weights and foiand bake another 10 minutes…or until dough is lightly browned….cool.
    Fill with the pastry cream, arrange sliced fruit over the top ( make a lovely swirl of strawberries or peach slices) Fruit should be chilled before slicing and filling….brush with glaze….and serve!
    The recipe goes on to show beautiful different fruit combos….like kiwi raspberry, grape and berry, plum and apricot etc…..

And surely you don't need a recipe for blueberry pie or blueberry pancakes or blueberry muffins....also they are nice on the middle layer of bread pudding....or cooked with a little sugar and served on cheese cake.
    Enjoy!!

• Related Discussions

blueberry jelly recipes needed

Q

Comments (5)
    I made great blueberry jelly/jam last night. I cooked my berries (sorry I don't recall how many I used, probably 2 quarts, I started with a gallon but they had been heavily munched o:) ) in a saucepan with 1 c. Juicy juice 100% natural grape juice blend (mostly apple juice). I ran it all through the food mill to come out with a perfect 4 cups of juice. Then I followed the Ball No-Sugar-Needed Pectin recipe on the inside of the box of pectin and used 2 c. sugar to sweeten. This turned out perfectly and my husband has already enjoyed it along w/ half a loaf of sourdough. :)I like the no-sugar-needed pectin because I want my jam/jelly to actually taste like the fruit it come from!
    ...See More

Recipe For Blueberry Cobbler Using Pie Crust Anyone?

Q

Comments (6)
    I searched for years for my perfect piecrust recipe - then one day I found it. Here it is: These quantities make enough pastry for 3 double-crust pies or 3 1/2 dozen tart shells - muffin size. 5 cups flour 1 teasp salt 2 teasp baking powder 1 lb (454 grams) Tenderflake lard 2 teasp white vinegar 1 egg - slightly beaten. Add water to vinegar and egg to make 1 cup 1) Mix together flour, salt and baking powder. Cut in lard until crumbly (using two knives.) 2) Add liquid and mix gently with hands. (I use a fork to help me here.) Roll into a ball. 3) Roll out amount needed on a floured board. Refrigerate or freeze remainder. Source: 'I've GOT To Have That Recipe' Doubleday Canada - Victoria, B.C. 1986 My tip: After step two I often put it in the fridge for an hour to make it firmer and easier to roll out. *************************************** When I use it for apple pies....here's the fruit mixture: 3/4 cup sugar (or a little less if you wish) 1/2 teasp salt 1 teasp cinnamon 1/2 teasp nutmeg 1 1/2 TBS flour 2 TBS butter 4 1/2 - 5 large apples *(I prefer Granny Smith)- peeled and sliced. Nathan's pastry - enough for double crust pie 1 TBS milk and 1 teasp sugar for top of crust * Check quantity of apples by slicing them first into empty pieplate before lining with pastry to see if you have enough. Then remove and wipe plate clean again. 1) Preheat oven to 425 F (218 C) 2) Peel and slice apples into a mixing bowl. In another small bowl combine the dry ingredients and pour them over apples. Toss well to coat all over. 3) Line pieplate with pastry and pile coated apple slices into pieplate. Dot apples with pieces of butter. 4) Roll out top crust and put on pie, flute edges, brush crust with the milk and sprinkle with sugar. 5) Bake 10 minutes at 425F (218C) then lower heat to 350F (177C) for 35 - 40 minutes or until crust is golden. SharonCb
    ...See More

RECIPE: Blueberry Breakfast Bars

Q

Comments (4)
    jacki, these sound really good and I have a ton of blueberries in my freezer. I pick at a local u-pick for 70 cents a pound and always manage to pick 40 or 50 pounds throughout the season. I'll definitely be making these, my granddaughter would love them. Dessert for breakfast, what a perfect idea! Annie
    ...See More

recipe: need this recipe asap please!!??

Q

Comments (14)
    Hi NancyLouise, I'll tell you, I have never owned the book. My best friend's mom did. I found the recipe back in the mid 90's and not writing it down at that moment, called her the next day and wrote it on the lp jacket of one of the records of my Bruce Springsteen 3 record boxed set. The 80's to 90's collection. :) My life was chaotic with lots of toys around, and it's the first bit of paper found at the moment I needed it. It stayed folded in another recipe book for years and then was lost in a move. While I love a regular Yankee Pot Roast, ohhh there's just somethin' different about the scent of this one. The cider, the vinegar, the mushrooms. Truly, it is a tried and true, never let you down, ta-da recipe. I wrote this down again and have carefully secreted it away and have made copies for my friends. I hope you like it. I hope you all like it. Kim
    ...See More
  • stir_fryi SE Mich
    11 years ago

Blueberry Galette! My ten year old made it last night while I supervised.

Super easy and a yummy dessert for four!

I use the recipe on Epicurious.

• wizardnm
    11 years ago

Here's a few to read through...

BLUEBERRY CHEESECAKE PIZZA

Double the dough part for thicker cookie crust.
    Can use other fruits for filling.

1 cup all-purpose flour
    1/4 cup powdered sugar
    1/2 cup melted butter
    1 Oz. package of cream cheese, softened
    1 14oz. can sweetened condensed milk
    1/3 cup lemon juice
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    2 tbs cornstarch
    1/2 cup water
    3 pints Blueberries
    Combine flour and powdered sugar; add butter, mixing well. Pat dough out in a 14 inch pizza pan; bake at 350F for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.

Combine cream cheese, condensed milk, lemon juice and vanilla; mix well and spread on cooled crust. Chill.

Combine sugar and cornstarch in a large saucepan; add water, mixing until smooth. Cook over medium heat until thickened (about 5 minutes) stirring constantly. Add blueberries. Cool completely.

Spread blueberry mixture over cream cheese layer; chill, cut into wedges to serve.

Yield: 8-10 servings

Blueberry Pudding Cake 2 cups blueberries 2 tablespoons lemon juice 1 cup flour 2 teaspoons baking powder 1/4 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg 3/4 cup granulated sugar 1/2 cup milk 1 egg 1/4 cup butter, melted 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup granulated sugar 1 tablespoon cornstarch 1 cup boiling water Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place blueberries and lemon juice in an 8\-inch square pan. Mix flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and the 3/4 cup sugar. Beat in milk, egg, melted butter and vanilla extract. Spread over berries. Mix 1 cup sugar with cornstarch and sprinkle over batter. Pour boiling water over all. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Fresh Blueberry and Lemon Tarts From Tapawingo For lemon curd: 6 T. unsalted butter, cut into pieces 5 slightly beaten egg yolks 1 c. sugar 1 T. finely shredded lemon peel ½ c. lemon juice For blueberry sauce: 2 c. fresh blueberries ½ c. dry white wine or water 1 t. finely shredded lemon peel 1 T. lemon juice 2 t. cornstarch For garnish: Shredded lemon peel Fresh mint sprigs (optional) Fresh edible violets and violas (pansies) (optional) Prepare the Pastry Tarts (recipe follows); set aside. Allow butter to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. For lemon curd: In the top of a double boiler, combine egg yolks, sugar, 1 T. lemon peel and ½ c. lemon juice. Place over gently boiling water (upper pan should not touch water). Cook, stirring frequently with a whisk, about 15 minutes or until sauce is thickened (it should thinly coat a metal spoon). Immediately remove from heat. If you like, pour hot mixture through a fine sieve to remove the shreds of lemon peel. Cover surface of the curd with plastic wrap to prevent a "skin" from forming while the curd is cooling. Chill at least 1 hour or for up to 1 week. (Or, transfer to a freezer container, freeze for up to 2 months. Thaw in refrigerator before serving). For blueberry sauce: In a medium saucepan, combine 1 c. of the blueberries, the wine, 1 t. lemon peel, 1 T. lemon juice and 2 t. cornstarch. Cook and stir over medium heat until the mixture is slightly thickened and the blueberries have "popped." Remove from heat. Force the mixture through a fine sieve, discard the skins. Cool the puree to room temperature. When the puree is cool, fold in the remaining 1 cup blueberries. Cover and chill at least 1 hour or for up to 48 hours. To serve, remove sides of tart pans. Transfer tart shells to 8 dessert plates. Divide the chilled lemon curd among the tart shells. Top with enough of the chilled blueberry sauce to cover the lemon curd. Spoon additional blueberry sauce onto the plates. Sprinkle additional lemon peel over the blueberry sauce. If you like, garnish each with a fresh mint sprig, violets or violas. Makes 8 servings. \-\-\- Pastry Tarts 1¾c. all\-purpose flour ¾ c. cold unsalted butter cut into ¼\-inch cubes and frozen ½ c. confectioners' sugar 2 t. finely shredded lemon peel ½ t. kosher salt or ¼ t. salt 5 to 6 T. ice water In a food processor, combine flour, butter, confectioners' sugar, lemon peel and salt. Cover and process with a few quick on/off turns until most of the mixture resembles corn\-meal but a few large pieces remain. (You should be able to feel the small pieces of butter with your fingers). Pour 5 T. ice water through the feed tube. Process with 2 quick on/off turns. Scrape down sides. Process with 2 more quick on/off turns (mixture may not all be moistened). Remove the dough from bowl; shape into a ball by gently pushing down with the heal of your hand so that the mixture will come together (Add only as much water as needed. Too much water or mixing will make the dough tough). Cover dough with plastic wrap or put the dough in a plastic bag and seal; chill for 30 to 60 minutes or until dough is easy to handle. Unwrap; divide dough into 8 equal portions. On a lightly floured surface, use your hands to slightly flatten 1 portion. Roll dough from center to edges into a circle about 5 inches in diameter. Line a 4\- to 4¼\-inch tart pan with a removable bottom with pastry. Press pasty into fluted sides of tart pan; trim edges. Prick bottom and sides of pastry. Repeat with the remaining 7 portions of pastry. Line each pastry with a small circle of double thickness of foil or a single layer of heavy foil. If you like, fill with pie weights. (The foil prevents the crust from shrinking). Place the tart pans on a large baking sheet. Bake in a 350° oven for 15 minutes. Remove baking sheet from oven. Carefully remove the pie weights, if using, and the foil sheets. Return baking sheet to oven. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes more or until pastry shells are firm and just beginning to brown around the edges. Remove from oven. Cool pastry shells on a wire rack. Makes eight 4\-inch tart shells. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Lavender\-Blueberry Streusel Muffins 1 c unbleached flour 1 c whole wheat pastry flour 1/4 tsp salt 2 tsp baking powder 1/2 tsp dried lavender blossoms 1 c fresh blueberries (or frozen, thawed) 1/2 c milk 1/2 c (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened 1 c sugar (I like cane juice crystals) 2 eggs 1/2 tsp vanilla extract Streusel 1/2 tsp dried lavender blossoms 3 T sugar 1/4 c unbleached flour 2 T unsalted butter, softened. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease muffin cups and set aside. In a small bowl, whisk together flours, salt, baking powder and lavender; set aside. In another bowl, cover blueberries with milk. Set aside. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Add half the flour mixture, stirring to combine. Add the milk mixture, stirring, and then the remaining flour mixture, stirring until barely blended. Divide batter among muffin cups. To make streusel, in small bowl, combine lavender, sugar, and flour. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle streusel on top of each muffin cup and press gently into batter. Bake muffins 30\-35 minutes, until tester inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 5\-10 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely. Makes 12\-16 muffins ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Lemon Blueberry Bread Recipe from Joy of Baking This is Kim's favorite quick bread, I make it often. 1 1/2 cups (210 grams) all\-purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1/4 teaspoon salt 1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature 3/4 cup (150 grams) granulated white sugar 2 large eggs 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest (outer yellow skin of the lemon) 1/2 cup (120 ml) milk 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries Lemon Glaze: 1/3 cup (66 grams) granulated white sugar 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and place the oven rack in the center of the oven. Butter (or spray with a non stick vegetable spray) the bottom and sides of a loaf pan (9 x 5 x 3 inch) (23 x 13 x 8 cm). Set aside. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside. In the bowl of your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the butter until softened (about 1 minute). Add the sugar and continue to beat until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla extract and lemon zest. With the mixer on low, add the flour mixture (in three additions) and milk (in two additions) alternately, starting and ending with the flour. Mix only until combined. Gently fold in the blueberries. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 55 to 65 minutes, or until the bread is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring the 1/3 cup (66 grams) of sugar and the 3 tablespoons of lemon juice to a boil, stirring until the sugar dissolves. When the bread is done, remove from oven and place on a wire rack. Pierce the hot loaf all over with a wooden skewer or toothpick and then brush the top of the loaf with the hot lemon glaze. Cool the loaf in the pan for about 30 minutes then remove from pan and let cool completely on a wire rack. Makes 1 loaf. Nancy
  • doucanoe
    11 years ago

The salad I posted in WFD uses blueberries. Basically lettuce, cucumbers, grilled chicken, strawberries, blueberries, toasted almonds and raspberry vinaigrette. YUM!
    Hopefully Annie will post her grandmother's blueberry crisp. It's delish.

This one is wordy and takes some time, but it's awesome!

Blueberry Cream Cheese Braid
    Makes 2 braids

Sponge:

1 tablespoon instant yeast
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 1/2 cup warm milk
    2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour

Dough:

2 eggs
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1/3 cup sugar
    2 1/2-3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
    Blueberry Filling
    2 cups blueberries
    1/4 cup sugar
    1/4 cup cornstarch
    2 tablespoons lemon juice

Egg Glaze:

1 egg
    1 tablespoon milk

Cream Cheese Filling:

3/4 cup cream cheese
    2 tablespoons sugar
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 tablespoon egg glaze

For the sponge: mix the sugar, yeast, and flour together in bowl. Pour in the warm milk. Beat until smooth, then cover with plastic wrap and set aside for 1/2 hour.
    Add the eggs, salt, sugar, and one cup of the flour to the sponge. Beat until smooth. Then add the butter in small chunks and beat well. Add the remaining flour a handful at a time and mix in until a soft but kneadable dough is achieved and the butter thoroughly incorporated.
    Knead the dough by hand or with a mixer until it is smooth and satiny, about 5 minutes.

Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise and room temperature until doubled in size, 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Deflate the dough, recover the bowl, and refrigerate overnight.

The next day, make the fillings before shaping the loaves.
    Blueberry Filling: combine all of the ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat while stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, then remove from heat and let cool.

Egg Glaze: combine the egg and milk in a bowl and beat until combined.

Cream Cheese Filling: combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix until combined.

Once your filling has cooled off, take the dough out of the refrigerator and gently deflate it. Divide it into two pieces. Use a rolling pin to shape each piece into a thin (1 cm.) rectangle.
    Spread your fillings in the center of the dough.
    At an angle, slice the sides of the dough into tabs approximately 1 inch wide.
    Alternating from side to side, fold the pieces in over the filling. When possible, gentle press on the tabs to seal the folds.
    After it has been fully folded, glaze the braid with egg wash. Cover loosely with plastic (I place the entire baking pan in a clean kitchen garbage bag). Set aside to rise until doubled in size, approximately 45 minutes. While it is rising, preheat the oven to 350.
    Just before placing the braid in the oven, glaze it again with any remaining egg wash. Bake on the center rack of the oven for approximately 35 to 40 minutes, rotating it once after 20 minutes so that it bakes evenly. Remove it from the oven and allow it to cool for at least half an hour before slicing.

Linda

• ann_t
    11 years ago

A few of my favourites.

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Blueberry Tart
    ==============
    Adapted from the Blueberry Pie/Tart from a 1980's Canadian Living Magazine.

3 to 4 cups fresh blueberries
    3/4 cup sugar
    4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (or more to taste)
    2 tablespoons melted butter
    1 cup heavy cream
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Single Pie Crust
    Line pie or tart pan with pastry.

Mix together Blueberries, 3/4 cup sugar, flour and cinnamon, and butter. Pour into pie crust. Mix vanilla with cream and pour over blueberries. Place tart on cookie sheet (just in case the filling drips) . Bake in 425�F oven on lower rack for 15 minutes, reduce heat to 400�F and bake for another 30 to 40 minutes until filling is set.

Butter-Lard Pastry
    ==================
    2 cups all purpose flour
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/3 cup butter
    1/3 cup lard (or shortening- Crisco)
    5 to 6 tablespoons of ice water

(note: if using for a sweet pie, add 1 or 2 teaspoons of sugar.)

Mix flour with salt, and cut in butter and lard.

(Use a box grater and grate the butter /lard into flour.)

Add ice water and stir with a fork until pastry comes together. Form in to a ball and cut in two pieces. Form each into a round flat disc and refrigerate for 1 hour.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Browned Butter Blueberry Muffins

Home

Source: Amandeleine

Adapted from Joy the Baker
    Muffins
    14 Tablespoons unsalted butter
    2/3 cup whole milk
    2 large eggs
    2 large egg yolks
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    3 cups all-purpose flour
    3/4 cup sugar
    3/4 cup brown sugar
    3 teaspoons baking powder
    1 1/2 teaspoon salt
    4 cups fresh blueberries
    Streusel
    6 Tablespoons cold, unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    7 tablespoons sugar

Directions
    Put a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line two muffin pans with paper or foil liners
    Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Keep an eye on the butter. Melt and cook down the butter until little brown bits appear in the pan. The crackling will subside and butter will begin to brown fairly quickly after that. Keep a close eye. Remove from heat.
    Whisk milk, egg, yolk and vanilla until combined. Add the brown butter and stir to combine.
    Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl Add milk and butter mixture all at one and stir gently to combine. Gently but thoroughly fold in the blueberries.
    Divide the batter among muffin cups and spread evenly.

Streusel:

Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and rub together with your fingertips until crumbly. Sprinkle evenly over the batter in the cups.
    Bake until golden and crisp and a wooden pick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean, about 18-20 minutes. Cool in pan on a rack for 15 minutes then remove from the pan. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Makes 2 dozen regular size or 12 large size muffins (large muffins take longer to bake)

Blueberry Cream Cheese Crumb Bars
    ==================================

Adapted from:
    Http://www.yourhomebasedmom.com/blueberry-crumb- bars/

1 cup white sugar
    1 tsp. baking powder
    3 cups all-purpose flour
    1 cup cold butter (2 sticks)
    1 egg
    1/4 tsp. salt
    Zest and juice of one lemon
    4 C. fresh blueberries
    1/2 cup white sugar
    4 tsp. cornstarch
    4 ounces cream cheese
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 egg
    Vanilla

Preheat the oven to 375 F. Grease a 9�13 inch pan.

In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup sugar, 3 cups flour, and baking powder. Mix in salt and lemon zest. Use a fork or pastry cutter to blend in the butter and egg. Dough will be crumbly. Pat half of dough into the prepared pan.

In another bowl, stir together the sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice. Gently mix in the blueberries. Sprinkle the blueberry mixture evenly over the crust.

Cream the cream cheese with sugar. Add beaten egg and vanilla. Stir well to combine. Drop by tablespoon over the blueberries.

Crumble remaining dough over the top.
    Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until top is slightly brown. Cool completely before cutting into squares.

• ann_t
    11 years ago

A couple more:

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Blueberry Oatmeal Squares
    =========================
    Source: Canadian Living Magazine August 2007

2-1/2 cups rolled oats (NOT Instant)
    1-1/4 cups all purpose flour
    1 cup packed brown sugar
    1 tablespoon grated orange rind
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 cup cold butter, cubed

Filling

3 cups fresh blueberries
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    1/3 cup orange juice
    4 tsp. cornstarch

Filling Directions:

In saucepan, bring blueberries, sugar and orange juice to boil; reduce heat and simmer until tender, about 10 minutes. Whisk constarch with 2 tablespoons water; whisk into blueberries and boil, stirring until thickened, about 1 minute. Place plastic wrap directly on surface and refrigerate until cool, about one hour.

In a large bowl, whisk together oats, flour, sugar, orange rind and salt; with pastry blender, cut in butter until coarse crumbs. Press half into 8 inch square parchment paper-lined metal cake pan; spread with blueberry filling. Sprinkle with remaining oat mixture, pressing lightly.

Bake in centre of 350�F oven until light golden, about 45 minutes. Let cool on rack before cutting into squares.

Make ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days or overwrap with heavy-duty foil and freeze for up to 2 weeks.

Blueberry Tart/Pie
    ==================

I've made this recipe for years. I think it was from an early 1980's Canadian Living Magazine.

4 cups fresh blueberries
    3/4 cup sugar
    4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
    2 tablespoons melted butter
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    Milk, sugar

Pastry for double crust
    . Line pie plate with pastry.

Mix together blueberries, 3/4 cup sugar, flour and cinnamom (if using)
    and melted butter; pour into pie crust. Cover with pastry and cut a
    few slashes in top; or cut pastry into strips and prepare lattice top.
    Seal edges well and flute. Brush lightly with milk and sprinkle with
    sugar. Bake in 425�F oven for 15 minutes, reduce heat to 35o�F and bake
    about 40 minutes longer or until crust is golden.

Butter-Lard Pastry
    ==================
    2 cups all purpose flour
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/3 cup butter
    1/3 cup lard (or shortening- Crisco)
    5 to 6 tablespoons of ice water

(note: if using for a sweet pie, add 1 or 2 teaspoons of sugar.)
    . Mix flour with salt, and cut in butter and lard.

(Note: I use the cuisinart to cut in my fat and then move the mixture
    to a bowl to add the water by hand).
    I like to have to do this by feel which I find I can't do by machine)

Put flour mixture in bowl and add water mixing with a fork until pastry
    comes together. Form in to a ball and cut in two pieces. Form each
    into a round flat disc and refrigerate for 1 hour.

• moosemac
    11 years ago

Blueberry Coffee Cake Muffins
    Adapted from Barefoot Contessa Family Style, 2002

Ingredients
    12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    4 large eggs, at room temperature
    1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
    8 ounces vanilla Greek yogurt
    1/4 cup milk
    2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt or sea salt
    2 half-pints fresh blueberries, picked through for stems

Directions
    Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place 16 paper liners in muffin pans.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. With the mixer on low speed, add the eggs 1 at a time, then add the vanilla, sour cream, and milk. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. With the mixer on low speed add the flour mixture to the batter and beat until just mixed. Fold in the blueberries with a spatula and be sure the batter is completely mixed.

Prepare muffin tine by lining with muffin liners and liberally greasing the top of the pan. (Note muffins will stick so do not cook without muffin liners.) Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin pans, filling each cup just over the top, and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the muffins are lightly browned on top and a cake tester comes out clean.

• arley_gw
    11 years ago

This isn't really a recipe, but if you are lucky enough to have an overabundance of blueberries, try this:

Rinse off blueberries, removing any debris. Allow to drain in colander. Place berries in a plastic bag and freeze.

Put some frozen blueberries in a blender. Add sweetener if desired and pour in cold half & half. Blend. The resultant product should be about like soft-serve ice cream.

You end up with the most delicious 'ice cream' with overpowering blueberry flavor. Decadent. Delicious.

• caliloo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much for all the great recipes and ideas! We love blueberries and are always looking for new recipes - lots to pick from here :-)

Alexa

• lpinkmountain
    11 years ago

Blueberries are one of the best things about summer. I love them in pies, cakes and muffins. This year I am going to try a salad I saw last year at Wegmans--blueberries, feta, cucumbers. But I need fresh produce all around for this, and the really good Bulgarian feta I get at the local greengrocer.

3 cucumbers, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded and sliced thinly (half moon shape) (about 4 cups)
    1 pint (2 cups) blueberries, rinsed and picked over
    Salt and pepper to taste
    1/2 cup Wegmans White Balsamic Vinaigrette (Produce Dept)
    3 Tbsp thinly sliced Fresh Mint Leaves
    1 cup (about 1/4 lb) Crumbled Feta Cheese
    Combine and let sit for about 45 min. at least for flavors to blend.

I also like to make blueberry preserves, which are the best way to perserve the fresh taste of summer berries. I just don't think frozen berries cut it, but I have never frozen my own, only had store bought ones.

Blueberry Lime Jam (from the "Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving")

4 1/2 cups crushed blueberries (leave some whole for fun)
    Grated zest and juice of one large lime
    1 package regular powdered fruit pectin
    5 cups granulated sugar

Prepare canning jars and lids by washing and boiling them for 10 min. Keep them hot for filling. This recipe makes six 8 oz. jars.

In a large flat bottomed pot, combine the berries, pectin and lime. Stir until pectin dissolves and bring to a boil over high heat. Add sugar all at once and return to a full rolling boil. Boil for one minute, stirring constantly. Turn off the heat and ladle the jam into the empty jars. Leave 1/4 inch headspace. Put lids on, make sure rims are clean before you do this. Seal the jars and process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes. Allow water to cool down for 5 min. then remove jars. This is to prevent heat shock which could crack the jars, but with this heat wave we're having, it shouldn't be a problem, lol!

You can also add 2 TBLSP Frangelico to the jam, or put half the jam into jars and then add 1 TBLSP liquer to the remainder. Could also use orange zest and juice and Cointreau or Triple Sec., or lemon and Limoncello, but I actually just prefer plain old blueberry lime--YUM!

• beachlily z9a
    11 years ago

Since it looks like Annie is busy, I'll post her recipe. Love it! The only change I make is to add 1/2 cup chopped pecans to the topping.

BLUEBERRY CRISP

This is the only blueberry crisp recipe I've ever used, the one my grandmother used. It's not very sweet, which I like because I like the flavor of the berries better than the flavor of the sugar, LOL. It's really good warm with vanilla ice cream, but it's also good cold for breakfast (it's a FRUIT, Mom).

3 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen, unsweetened
    2 tbls lemon juice
    2/3 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup flour
    1/2 cup quick oats
    1/3 cup butter, softened
    3/4 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 tsp salt

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Arrange berries in ungreased 8" square baking dish and sprinkle with lemon juice. Combine remaining ingredients until crumbly. (I use a pastry blender.) Crumble topping over berries and bake until topping is lightly browned and berries are hot, about 30 minutes. Makes 4-6 servings.
    I double this and it still comes out good. Plus blueberries are low in calories, have lots of fiber and no fat, contain antioxidants C, E and beta carotene and have been found to be as helpful in urinary tract health as cranberries. That's why I need ice cream with them, they are just too darned healthy. LOL
    Annie

• ann_t
    11 years ago

Annie's Blueberry Crisp is the best.

• deborah_ps
    11 years ago

I've made this a dozen times for ourselves and others...it always gets rave reviews YUMMO!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Lemon Scented Blueberry Loaf

• beachlily z9a
    11 years ago

Deborah, that looks like something I'm going to have to try. Beautiful and yummy! Don't even think I can wait until my Meyers lemons get ripe. Oh, that's right, I've got some juice in the freezer. Oh .... next week for sure!

• jessicaml
    11 years ago

Oh. My. Gosh. I'm going to gain weight just looking at those pictures! Yummy!

"You Won't Believe They're Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins"

I followed the recipe, except I used White Whole Wheat flour rather than the whole wheat pastry flour, and I used mixed frozen berries (blueberries, raspberries and blackberries) instead of just blueberries. Oh, and I eliminated zest, since I had no lemons on hand. This is now one of my favorites!

For muffins

1 3/4 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
    1/2 cup sugar
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
    1 large egg
    1/2 cup whole milk
    5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
    1 1/2 cups blueberries (about 7 ounces)

For topping

1 teaspoon sugar
    1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Equipment:
    a muffin pan (preferably nonstick) with 12 (1/3- to 1/2-cup) muffin cups

Make muffin batter:

Preheat oven to 375�F with rack in middle. Butter muffin pan.
    Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl, then whisk in zest.
    Whisk egg in another bowl, then whisk in milk and butter. Add to dry ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined (batter will be dense). Fold in blueberries. Divide batter among muffin cups.

Make topping:

Stir together sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle evenly over batter in cups.
    Bake until a wooden pick inserted into center of muffins comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Cool in pan 5 minutes, then unmold onto a rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kemp's ''You-Won't-Believe-They're-Whole-Wheat'' Blueberry Muffins from Gourmet

• jessicaml
    11 years ago

Not a tried and true recipe, but I used to have one on file "to try" someday for pork chops or tenderloin with a blueberry sauce. I wonder where that went?