SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
netla

Food report from Croatia

netla
15 years ago

Netla here. I couldn't resist checking in.

I have have been trying out the food every chance I get. Firstly I was shocked to find how expensive it is to eat out here - nearly as expensive as in Iceland, but not quite. I have been eating out once a day and then having smaller meals of local yogurt and fresh fruit.

Burek has been a disappointment every time I have tried it, possibly because I always end up with the cheese filling that really doesn't taste of anything. I have yet to come across meat or potato fillings.

Cevapi or cevapici are great. The Bosnians seem to spice them more than the Croatians do, but both versions are good. They are usually served inside a huge bun, with raw onions and a red bell pepper sauce on the side.

Raznjici (skewered kebabs) are great, both chicken and beef. The bread they serve with it is delicious, chewy and flavourful.

Tonight I tried a local seafood platter: fried squid, shrimp, mussels and fried scorpion-fish. It was the first time I have ever had squid that wasn't like leather to chew, and it was good, as were the rest. The scorpion-fish was oily and mild, and the mussels were very good. I hate the preserved variety, but these were fresh, which made all the difference.

Tomorrow night the school is having a reception and I think they will be serving local food. I will report back if there is anything interesting on the menu.

There is a pomegranate tree outside my window. Sadly the fruit are not ripe, or I would be eating them straight off the tree.

Bye for now,

Jo

Comments (8)