SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daylilydayzed

How to fix pulled pork

daylilydayzed
12 years ago

I am here in Va. with my daughter -in-law and she wants to fix pulled pork for her family when they come in this Thurs.We will all be on the pier on Fri. when the U.S.S Enterprise comes in from its latest deployment cruise. My son is on board the ship. So anyone have a recipe for pulled pork?

Comments (41)

• angelaid
    12 years ago

This is DH's favorite. Just made a huge pot a few days ago.

Coll's Slow Cooked Pulled Pork

Prep time: 30 mins
    Cook time: 8-10 hours
    Yields: 8-12 cups or 16-24+ sandwiches

4-6# boneless pork shoulder-blade roast cut into 4 pieces, fat removed
    1/4 C water
    1 medium onion - coursely chopped
    1/2 C cider vinegar
    1/2 C ketchup
    1/4 C light (mild) molasses
    2 T sweet paprika
    2 T spicy brown mustard
    2 T worcestershire sacuce
    1 t red ground (cayene) pepper
    1 t finely ground black pepper
    1 t salt
    1/2 t liquid smoke flavoring (opt)

16+ soft buns

Creamy cole slaw

Combine all ingredients, except pork.
    In a 4-5+ quart crockpot, place the pork pieces, pour sauce over to coat.

Cover and cook with lid on for 8-10 hours until pork is very tender and falling apart. *Can cook overnight.

Transfer pork to a large bowl or platter, cool and pull apart with fingers or forks.

Place pork back into the sauce.

He puts his on a bun and puts the cole slaw on top.

• Charcuterie
    12 years ago

I agree with angelaid that you need to cook that pork roast low and slow for 8-10 hours. A container full of steamy water will help prevent drying. quality Seasonings don't matter nearly as much as that smoke time. If you wanted to shorten the cooking period, smoke it for a hour or two, then finish it off in a pressure cooker for an hour to achieve tenderness.

• Related Discussions

Pulled (my hair out) Pork

Q

Comments (7)
    Aargh!!.....BT..DT... BT Teeshirt! Chicken broth....a small can of tomato sauce, couple Tablespoons of dark brown sugar and 1/4 cup cider vinegar....dash of liquid smoke and lots of finely chopped onions...big dash of hot sauce if you like that. Gotta up load the pics....but I am cooking BBQ pork loin for the neighbor's graduation party.....for 240.....shes aid! Doing 60 pounds of pork loin....40 done 20 yet to go... My house has a lovely aroma of eau d' porc....with a soft over tone of BBQ sauce... I'll post some pictures soon! Linda C
    ...See More

LOOKING for: how do you make pulled pork?

Q

Comments (28)
    Here is the recipe I use...if I'm in a hurry I don't pan fry first..Southern Pulled Pork from allrecipes.com Ingredients * 1 tablespoon butter * 2 pounds boneless pork roast * 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning..I make my own and use lots * 1 medium onion, chopped * 4 cloves garlic, crushed * 4 cups water...I use chicken broth instead * 1 tablespoon liquid smoke flavoring Directions Cut the pork roast into large chunks. Season generously with the Cajun seasoning. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add pork, and brown on all sides. Remove from the skillet, and transfer to a slow cooker. Add the onion and garlic to the skillet, and cook for a few minutes until tender. Stir in the water scraping the bottom to include all of the browned pork bits from the bottom of the pan, then pour the whole mixture into the slow cooker with the pork. Stir in liquid smoke flavoring. Cover, and cook on High for 6 hours, or until meat is falling apart when pierced with a fork. Remove pieces of pork from the slow cooker, and shred. Return to the slow cooker to keep warm while serving.
    ...See More

looking for: eastern nc pulled pork

Q

Comments (7)
    I'm certainly no expert, but was raised in Eastern NC. Eastern NC BBQ always has a vinegar based sauce. No ketchup, or tomato sauce of any kind. (That's western NC BBQ). All we ever used for the sauce was vinegar, salt, red pepper flakes (and some ground red pepper) and a sweetner-- usually pineapple juice, which I think sweetened and diluted the vinegar some without having to use water in the sauce. it's made "to your taste"-- in other words, if you like it hot, add more red pepper, etc. Just mix and taste-- the main thing is not to cover up the taste of the pork. We used to make it by the gallon, but for one Boston Butt, I would think about 1 cup vinegar, 1/2 cup pineapple juice, 2 tablespoons crushed red pepper, and maybe 1 teas. ground red pepper and 2 or 3 tablespoons of salt. Cook the pork first and then shred and add the sauce. It's best to cook outside on the grill, but the dutch oven method would work too. You do need to leave the lid off at the end of cooking to brown the meat though (I would think.) Hope this helps.
    ...See More

How to reheat pulled pork??

Q

Comments (14)
    You're fortunate to not taste it, mimi. I can always taste the left-over-ness of roasted meats. There is actually some science to it...a snippet from the link: What happens to leftovers in that dark, cold box? Demons? In a manner of speaking, yes. The first bit of devilry is a crazy fact: Your food is in a constant state of chemical change. The reactions that cook your food do not stop after the chicken is pulled from the oven. There is still a lot of stuff going on. When you cook meat, for instance, twisted or clumped proteins unravel. During this forced relaxation, the proteins are more open to the chemical reactions that cause them to break down. The process also causes the proteins to release iron, which behaves like a little magnet, explains Chris Loss, director of the department of menu R&D at the Culinary Institute of America. "With its positive charge, the iron goes around breaking down other nutrients in the food." When lipids interact with the released iron, for instance, the taste turns cardboard-y. The Science of Leftovers
    ...See More
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

If you have a good gas grill that will maintain a low temperature evenly, ( not a cheap Char Broil or Brinkmann)
    you can place soaked wood chips in foil on the grates and a pork butt or two off the heat source and smoke for about 10 hours. This is (almost) real pulled pork- authentic would not use gas.

Add whatever bbq sauce you want at serving.

If you want to go this route, I and others can give more thorough directions.
    Frankly, with a gas grill, it's not much work at all. But the flavor doesn't compare to anything in a crock pot.

• mboston_gw
    12 years ago

I just made this for the 4th. Used a Boston Butt. It's so easy - put roast in crock pot - add A&W Root Beer until the roast is just about covered. I cooked mine on high for about 4 hours then turned it to low for another 3. Pulled it apart using two forks, returned it to crock pot and added 11/2 bottles of Kraft Thick and Spicy BBQ Sauce. It was really good. I have seen recipes where you add garlic and onion to the roast while cooking but I didn't. Let it sit in sauce for another hour or so.

• Georgysmom
    12 years ago

I've been married 52 years and have never made pulled pork until tonight. I'm not that crazy about it and DH doesn't like it at all. This was delicious!

6Lb. Boston butt roast
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    2 tsp. seasoned salt
    2 tsp. black pepper
    1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
    1 onion, chopped

Mix garlic and seasonings together, rub on roast. Place roast in Dutch oven, fill half way with water. Add onion. Bring to boil, reduce to simmer. Cook 3 - 4 hours or until meat falls off bone. Remove from pot and shred with two forks. Or, as I did, Put in slow cooker, add about a cup or cup and a half of water and cook on low 8 hours. I would turn once half way through. Shred meat and empty water from cooker. Add 3 Cups barbecue sauce. Recipe follows:

Big Al's BQ sauce (All recipes)

2 C. ketchup
    2 cups tomato sauce
    1 1/4 cup brown sugar
    1 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
    1/2 c. unsulphured molasses
    4 tsp. hickory-flavored liquid smoke
    2 T. butter
    1/2 tsp garlic powder
    1/2 tsp. onion powder
    1/4 tsp. chili powder
    1 tsp. paprika
    1/2 tsp. celery seed
    1/4 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
    1 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. black pepper

In large saucepan over medium heat, mix ketchup, tomato sauce, brown sugar, wine vinegar, molasses, liquid smoke and butter. Add seasonings. Reduce heat to low and simmer 20 minutes. For thicker sauce, cook longer.
    For thinner sauce cook less.

I made the sauce a couple of days ahead of time, Put the roast in the cooker before I left to play bridge and dinner was all taken care of. I would suggest making the sauce thicker and thinning it down with some of the broth from the roast which is quite tasty.

This was really, really very good. Rarely do I try a five star recipe that I think is worthy of five stars, but in my opinion, this was. I found that I actually like pulled pork sandwiches after all. If you're looking for a real vinegary sauce, this is probably not the one for you but I loved it. Wonderful flavor.

• John Liu
    12 years ago

Pressure cooker, for 2 hours on high works too. I mean, if you're the impatient sort, like me.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

The method is the key, as mentioned above and re-voted now by me. Low and slow is the best way to get the tenderness you want. The recipes (which all made me hungry to read) are just about flavor, a matter of personal preference.

...And don't forget the cole slaw!

• work_in_progress_08
    12 years ago

I usually do it in the crockpot with chili sauce, brown sugar, dijon mustand, ketchup, onion powder. I don't have a "recipe", and just judge amts. by the size pork roast I am using. You can add/delete ingredients to your own taste.

Don't forget the coleslaw.

Have a wonderful day!

• lindac
    12 years ago

Pork shoulder....has to for pulled pork, but it's a very fatty cut of meat....and I find that a Boston Butt cooked either on a very slow grill or on a rack in a closed roaster in the oven.....where you can save the juice and drippings and skim off the grease yields a more digestable and to me better product. I have had crock pot pulled pork that was just swimming in grease.
    I like to roast the shoulder in a covered roaster in the oven at 300 degrees. I rub the roast with some garlic powder, paprika, kosher salt and perhaps some lemon pepper. Then add a sliced onion to the bottom of the pan and about a cup of water or broth, cover and roast until tender...falling apart.4 to 6 hours depending on the size of the roast.
    Then I remove the roast from the pan drippings, and pour the drippings into a container to cool. When the meat is cool enough to handle, pull it apart, discarding visable fat and return to the roasting pan. Skim the fat from the drippings, strain and return the drippings to the meat in the pan. Now add your "sauce"...either BBQ....or tomato or dark beer, Germain mustard and garlic...or coke and some liquid smoke, and cover and return to the oven at 225, stirring about every 30 minutes and adding more liquid as needed...liquid to add can be chicken broth, wine, apple juice...more beer....
    And cook at 225 for about 3 hours.
    Most of the liquid should have boiled away or been absorbed.
    There's enough fat for a good flavor, but it's not swimming in grease.

Turkey also works well this way!
    Linda C

• mustangs81
    12 years ago

Linda, I wonder if a Nesco roaster would work with your recipe.

• pfmastin
    12 years ago

daylily,
    I know you'll get lots of recipes...I just wanted to say congratulations on your son's homecoming. Please thank him for his service.

• lindac
    12 years ago

Cathy....sure...just put it on a rack so a lot of the fat drains away.

• eileen101
    12 years ago

Pulled Pork

Ingredients
    Dry Rub:
    3 tablespoons paprika
    1 tablespoon garlic powder
    1 tablespoon brown sugar
    1 tablespoon dry mustard
    3 tablespoons coarse salt
    1 (5 to 7 pound) pork roast, preferably shoulder or Boston butt
    Cider Vinegar Barbecue Sauce:
    1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
    1 cup yellow or brown mustard
    1/2 cup ketchup
    1/3 cup packed brown sugar
    2 garlic cloves, smashed
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon cayenne
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    12 hamburger buns
    1 recipe Spicy Slaw, recipe follows
    Pickle spears
    Directions
    Mix the paprika, garlic power, brown sugar, dry mustard, and salt together in a small bowl. Rub the spice blend all over the pork and marinate for as long as you have time for, as little as 1 hour or up to overnight, covered, in the refrigerator.

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.

Put the pork in a roasting pan and bake for about 6 hours. Basically, roast the pork until it's falling apart and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 170 degrees F.

To make the barbecue sauce: combine the vinegar, mustard, ketchup, brown sugar, garlic, salt, cayenne, and black pepper in a saucepan over medium heat. Simmer gently, stirring, for 10 minutes until the sugar dissolves.

Remove the pork roast from the oven and transfer to a large platter. Allow the meat to rest for about 10 minutes. While still warm, take 2 forks and "pull" the meat to form shreds. Using 2 forks, shred the pork by steadying the meat with 1 fork and pulling it away with the other. Put the shredded pork in a bowl. Pour 1/2 of the sauce on the shredded pork and mix well to coat.

To serve, spoon the pulled pork mixture onto the bottom 1/2 of the hamburger bun, and top with the spicy slaw. Serve with pickle spears and the remaining sauce on the side.

• lindac
    12 years ago

I don't see any recipe for "spicy slaw".....
    Please?
    Linda C

• foodonastump
    12 years ago

This thread is making me hungry. Just yesterday I ordered pulled pork sliders at a roadside shack. $12 for two tiny sliders and some fries. Think I'll make one of these recipes soon.

Linda - That was a Tyler Florence recipe. Here's the slaw:

Ingredients
    1 head green cabbage, shredded
    2 carrots, grated
    1 red onion, thinly sliced
    2 green onions, chopped
    1 red chile, sliced
    1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
    1/4 cup Creole mustard
    1 tablespoon cider vinegar
    1 lemon, juiced
    Pinch sugar
    1/2 teaspoon celery seed
    Several dashes hot sauce
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    Directions
    Combine the cabbage, carrot, red onion, green onions, and chile in a large bowl. In another bowl, mix the mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, lemon juice, and sugar; stirring to incorporate. Pour the dressing over the cabbage mixture and toss gently to mix. Season the cole slaw with celery seed, hot sauce, salt, and pepper. Chill for 2 hours in refrigerator before serving.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    12 years ago

Spicy slaw and how to fix pulled pork? Pioneer Woman! I had that last night. Pretty good.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pioneer Woman's pulled pork with spicy slaw

• suzyqtexas
    12 years ago

I use the same recipe as eileen (I think it's Tyler Florence) The mustard sauce is wonderful.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

I always use pork loin for crock pot pork. My mother used it for decades too- not fatty like the other cuts but just as delicious. And it still has plenty of fat in it.

• beachlily z9a
    12 years ago

For years, I have been doing the same a terri! Using a pork top boneless loin roast (or something similar)sprinkle salt, pepper, chili powder, garlic and paprika on top of the pork. Rub it in. Then into a 275 degree oven uncovered on a rack for 6-8 hours. Size or bone-in doesn't seem to matter. The smells will drive you crazy! Don't forget the coleslaw and beans!

But, I would never, ever use a crockpot for this dish.

• foodonastump
    12 years ago

Pork butt's in the oven, sauce made, slaw prepped. (All TF recipe.) Can't wait for dinner!

• User
    12 years ago

FOAS, I bet your house smells wonderful.

• lindac
    12 years ago

I just Read Pioneer Woman's recipe....pretty well exactly the way I make my pork...minus the Dr. Pepper of course ( wonder what she got for that one?) much prefer beer...or even chicken broth.
    But the slaw! Oh my! cilantro in slaw?? Gotta do that....and her recipe for the dressing is just what I use for potato salad....but I also add onions hard boiled eggs and drained pickle relish....sweet pickle relish. My grandmother used to chop gerkins!
    And tonight's dinner will be a hard boiled egg on the fly....sigh....
    Dialoges of the Carmelites will make up for my privation!

• cookebook
    12 years ago

Rob333, that PW recipe intrigued me but I haven't tried it yet. How hot was it? I thought the Dr. Pepper would be a good foil for all the chipotles.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    12 years ago

I was just about to say to Linda, it was the jalapeno that caught my eye, peppers and pork. I totally thought heat was just what a pork sandwich needed. I didn't make her meat her way as any meat would do. Next time, also minus any coke/dr. pepper. So I can't answer that question :( ... but it was a dang good slaw to have on a pulled pork sandwich. I like her idea of the juices mixing together too. It was a good match.

Matter of fact, I'm leaving work in another hour and I think I'll have another one!

• mustangs81
    12 years ago

crust on the meat...you don't get that from a crock pot. I've used the crock pot in the past but that's why I'm going to try the Nesco as a roaster not as a CP.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

I know I'm beating a dead horse, but you can't get a smoke ring in the oven either :-)

• lindac
    12 years ago

But....that's better than in a crock pot!!

• Terri_PacNW
    12 years ago

Well of course BB...

And a "real" pulled pork is a WHOLE pig on the smoker too..

But once you smother on slaw and if you chose a little red BBQ sauce...it'll do...oven, roaster, crock pot...shoulder, loin...

• foodonastump
    12 years ago

And while we're beating dead horses, may I just document here rather than start a new thread that this afternoon after about four hours in a 280 deg convection oven, I stuck a Thermapen in my butt (LOL) and couldn't find more than a 1.6 deg F difference between a half inch in and half-way into the butt? And that both numbers were in the 170s, nowhere near 212? Proof positive that as I've suspected, we haven't been dreadfully "boiling" meat for generations with our "traditional" methods. Myth busted.

Ok, off to shred said butt!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

and....we watched True Grit last week. What a great movie.
    Dad, dh and I all loved it, quite a rare thing.

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    12 years ago

Posted by foodonastump ---- and couldn't find more than a 1.6 deg F difference between a half inch in and half-way into the butt? And that both numbers were in the 170s, nowhere near 212? Proof positive that as I've suspected, we haven't been dreadfully "boiling" meat for generations with our "traditional" methods. Myth busted. "

Busted? Maybe, maybe not. How thick was the meat? what was the starting temperature? How accurate was the convection oven thermostat? Experiment confirmed by independent tester?

170s F is very possible that you have measured because:

"---during the long slow cooking of meat there is a "temperature stall" at around 72C/165F, where the internal temperature, instead of continuing to climb, stays steady for a long time before increasing again. That is the period the collagen is converting to gelatin. Once the temperature starts to climb again the conversion is complete, and the meat is tender. Any more cooking tends to dry the meat without improving tenderness.----"

You did confirm one thing which is universally known, that meat cooked at lower temperature is more desirable.

Good work, FOAS.

dcarch

• lindac
    12 years ago

Stumpy.....can't be true....at 270 degrees for 4 hours.....that meat has to be boiled!...Must be that your thermo pen is wrong and your oven thermostat...

Wonder what site posted that temperature stall?

Don't forget the slaw!!
    Linda C

• foodonastump
    12 years ago

dcarch - Since you find Jack Lang (whoever that is) reputable enough to quote, and since his findings are the same as mine (that the meat didn't boil) I'll not sidetrack this thread further with the variables of my experiment. Instead I'll just post a picture of a very delicious meal and thank Eileen101 for calling my attention to Tyler Florence's recipe.

• lindac
    12 years ago

Ironically, Boston Butt's on sale at my favorite meat market for $1.69 a pound.....think I see pulled pork in the near future!

12 years ago

Posted by lindac " Stumpy.....can't be true....at 270 degrees for 4 hours.....that meat has to be boiled!...Must be that your thermo pen is wrong and your oven thermostat... Wonder what site posted that temperature stall? -----"

FOAS, I agree. No need for you to sidetrack further into other variables in your pulled pork preparation, especially I have already found information to support your findings. I was merely pointing out the fact that your preparation was never intended to be a universally and scientifically conclusive experiment.

Furthermore, I did not think your Thermapen was defective. It is a fairly reliable device, OTOH, as I suggested, oven temperature setting is notoriously inaccurate.

About "boiling". I assume you are aware of the fact that cooking in water and baking in an oven are completely different in that air contains significantly fewer BTUs Specific Heat) and much lower in conductivity to transfer heat to the food.

In any case, 270 F is not a very high temperature. Try baking at 500 degrees for four hours and you will see what will happen to your meat.

Keeping in mind also, baking a large loaf of bread at say at 350 F, it can easily reach 200 F in the center in a relatively short time, even the bread is exactly structured like Styrofoam thermal insulation.

So, in summary, we are in agreement on all relevant points. Low heat and long cooking time for meat is good (not talking about pressure cooker), and to repeat myself ad nauseum, traditional way of cooking has proven to produce delicious results, but never cook a beautiful chunk of prime rib in a 500 F oven for four hours.

Your pork looks beautiful.

Wish I could say the same about your buns. :-)

dcarch

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    12 years ago

FOAS,

I don't know what your sandwiches taste like, but they look good and I am tasting the FOUR sandwiches I've had in the past few days. I still want more! Good stuff.

• User
    12 years ago

"........but never cook a beautiful chunk of prime rib in a 500 F oven for four hours."

No, but go ahead and roast a beautiful prime rib at 500ðF for 45 to 60 minutes depending on size, for a perfectly cooked rare prime rib.

FOAS, Your sandwiches look delicious. Could I have mine without the slaw and sauce?

Ann

• lindac
    12 years ago

I'm confused....as I recall basic science many many years ago "Specific heat" is the amount of energy...or heat it takes to raise the temperature of a substance 1 degree F. Whereas a BTU is the amount of energy or heat it takes to raise the temperature of a pound of water 1 degree farenheit and a calorie is the amount of energy it takes to raise one gram of water 1 degree celsius. As I understand calories and BTUs are a measure a measure of energy, the other is a measure in relation to a specific substance. Can air "contain" BTU's? I don't understand that concept.
    Also when I bake bread, I often use an instant read thermometer to assure myself that the bread interior has reached a temperature of 200 degrees. For a large loaf at 350 degrees that takes about an hour....perhaps more depending on the density of the dough.
    As for your statement about not cooking a beautiful chunk of prime rib at 500 for 4 hours, I can say 2 things....
    1. never cook anything you intend to eat at 500 for 4 hours/
    2. Never cook a whole chicken at 250 for 20 minutes and expect it to be edible.
    You have to exercise some judgment when performing any task.

12 years ago

Posted by LindaC:

[ I'm confused....as I recall basic science many many years ago ---]

That makes two of us. I am confused that you are confused.

[----"Specific heat" is the amount of energy...or heat it takes to raise the temperature of a substance 1 degree F. Whereas a BTU is the amount of energy or heat it takes to raise the temperature of a pound of water 1 degree farenheit and a calorie is the amount of energy it takes to raise one gram of water 1 degree celsius. As I understand calories and BTUs are a measure a measure of energy, the other is a measure in relation to a specific substance.---]

Exactly, energy is energy, anything above absolute zero has potential energy (heat), and 1 btu = 252.164401 calories= 1 055.05585 joules, all are the same thing, all are units of energy. Air has energy (BTUs, calories, joules), water has energy (BTUs, calories, joules), fire has energy (BTUs, calories, joules) -------

[----Can air "contain" BTU's? I don't understand that concept. ----]

That's how they rate air conditioners, in BTUs.

[------Also when I bake bread, I often use an instant read thermometer to assure myself that the bread interior has reached a temperature of 200 degrees. For a large loaf at 350 degrees that takes about an hour....perhaps more depending on the density of the dough.
    As for your statement about not cooking a beautiful chunk of prime rib at 500 for 4 hours, I can say 2 things....
    1. never cook anything you intend to eat at 500 for 4 hours/
    2. Never cook a whole chicken at 250 for 20 minutes and expect it to be edible. ------]

And thank you for taking the time to confirm and to reiterate in essence of what I have stated.

dcarch

12 years ago

My apologies to daylilydayzed.

I am sorry. I didn't mean to hijack your thread.

dcarch