SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cloud_swift

Fresh peach pie recipe?

Cloud Swift
16 years ago

Our peach crop is in. I would like to make a fresh peach pie tonight - the kind with crust only on the bottom and some type of glaze over the peach slices.

I have the dough for a crust already (the other half of some I made for Sol's Tomato Tart).

I've made regular peach pies before (with top and bottom crust) but I don't have a recipe for one done with fresh peaches.

Comments (8)

• lindac
    16 years ago

This isn't a pie....put it's open faced with a glaze and uses fresh peaches.
    This from Cook's magazine a lot of years ago......none better!
    Pastry:
    1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
    1/4 cup cake flour
    1/4 cup sugar
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/4 pound chilled butter in cubes
    2 egg yolks....and water if needed.
    Mix dry ingredients and cut in butter until mix resembles peas. Work in the egg yolks....and if necessare to make a smooth stiff dough, up to 3T of water. Form into ball, cover and chill 30 minutes. Roll dough slightly larger than tart pan.....fit into pan and roll the pin over the edges of the pan to cut off excess dough....Chill at least 5 minutes....or over night. Fill with buttered foil weight with pie weights or beans and bake 10 minutes at 375, remoive weights and foil and bake another 10 minutes at 350.
    Pastry cream
    2 1/2 T. flour
    1/4 cup sugar
    pinch of salt
    3 egg yolks
    1 cup milk
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 1/2 T eau d'vie...or liquor that blends well with the fruit youa re going to use. Triple sec would be good with most anything...or just a little orange juice if you don't have anything suitable.
    2 tsp butter.
    Mix sugar and salt in a heavy pan,beat in egg yolks, gradually whisk in milk, cook and whisk over low heat until bubbles break surface.....boil 1 minute stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and liquor. lay plastic wrap on the surface of the cream and chill.
    Glaze
    1 cup of apricot or peach preserves or red currant jelly and 1 T water....
    Heat until jelly is melted.
    Put pastry into shell, cut up fresh fruit of your choice ( strawberries, raspberries, peaches, apricots, kiwi....or a mixture.)Arrange decorativly on top of the pastry cream.
    Brush with glaze,chill and serve

Linda C

• grainlady_ks
    16 years ago

Here's a quick and easy, very versatile, yummy, fresh peach pie recipe, should you ever want to opt out of a pastry-type pie. A good sumer-friendly, keep the heat out of the kitchen, recipe. -Grainlady

FRESH PEACH PIE

by Karen Kramp, Ellinwood, Kansas
    source: The Stafford County Flour Mills Co. Cookbook, Volume 1

Crust:
    1/2 c. margarine (I prefer butter.)
    *1 c. Hudson Cream Short Patent All-Purpose Flour, Unbleached
    2 T. sugar
    Chopped nuts (I use pecans - LOTS)

Filling:
    1 c. water
    **1 c. sugar
    3 T. cornstarch
    3 T. peach gelatin (aka Jell-o powder)
    2 peeled, sliced fresh peaches (depends on size of peaches)
    ***Additional peaches
    Preheat oven to 350°F. While it is warming, melt 1/2 c. of margarine in 9-inch pie pan in oven. Then add flour, and 2 T. sugar. Stir and pat in bottom of pie pan. Sprinkle some chopped nuts, as much as you desire, over top of crust, press in. Bake until light brown, 12-15 minutes. Cool.

Cook water, sugar, and cornstarch until thickened. Add peach gelatin (powder). Add 2 sliced peaches to this hot mixture. Cool until lukewarm. Slice more peaches in bottom of cooled crust. Pour glaze over and refrigerate. Top with whipped cream if desired.

Grainlady notes:
    * You can use almost any type of flour in this recipe. I have used unbleached all-purpose, wholegrain spelt, rye, whole white wheat, or a combination.

**I use agave nectar instead of sugar, as a natural low-glycemic option to sugar (1/3-1/2 c. agave nectar per 1 c. sugar in filling - depending on the sweetness of the peaches). No-calorie sweeteners will also work for those who wish to avoid sugar. Personally, I think the sugar can easily be reduced by half in this recipe, especially if the peaches are really ripe and sweet.

*** I usually use at least 5-6 peaches total and mix all the peaches in the filling. The amount of peaches you use is really up to you. The recipe makes a lot of filling, probably enough for 2 pies, just keep adding however many peaches you would like.

- Any type of crust will work for this recipe, so if you have a favorite shortbread type, graham cracker, nut crust, no-gluten pastry or would like to use a no-gluten flour, or traditional pastry crust - any type pre-baked crust - will work fine.

- This recipe works with frozen peaches, thawed, just as well as fresh peaches.

- I usually make 1/2 a recipe (for the two of us) and use a small (18cm) half-size pie dish, or make individual tart pans. You can just as easily make this recipe in an 8- or 9-inch square pan, or double the ingredients for a 13x9-inch cake pan.

• Related Discussions

Peach pie filling, Ball Complete recipe

Q

Comments (3)
    We canned some in honey and some in a light syrup and we really liked the ones in light syrup for eating and are using the ones in honey to make cobblers with. Worked out really well both ways, but the kids said the honey taste was too strong for them.
    ...See More

Frozen (fresh) peaches - shelf stable recipe - not jam/jelly

Q

Comments (5)
    I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for. "Shelf stable" meaning you want to can and process these already frozen peaches in some way? Not really recommended for several reasons including quality as they will turn quite soft, even mushy. But there are many pickled recipes for them available in BBB and at NCHFP if texture quality isn't an issue. Pickled peaches, fruit relishes and chutneys, etc. But then you say "out of refrigeration" for several days. So something shelf-stable isn't necessary as refrigeration wouldn't be relevant to shelf stable things. Could you clarify please? On the other hand they can be used in many gift baking recipes - breads, cakes, tortes, tarts, turnovers, etc. Dave
    ...See More

RECIPE: Sour cream peach pie

Q

Comments (2)
    Sour Cream Peach Pie One 9-inch graham cracker crust Filling 2 tablespoons flour 1/2 cup granulated sugar 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon 1/8 teaspoon salt 1 egg, lightly beaten 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup sour cream 6 medium-size ripe peaches, peeled and sliced Topping 1/3 cup granulated sugar 1/3 cup flour 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon 4 tablespoons butter, softened Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, salt, egg, vanilla extract and sour cream. Fold in peaches to coat well. Pour into the graham cracker crust. Bake for 15 minutes; reduce heat to 350 degrees F. Bake for an additional 30 minutes. Combine Topping ingredients and crumble over warm pie. Bake for an additional 10 minutes at 400 degrees F.
    ...See More

LOOKING for: Looking for recipe for peach jello pie

Q

Comments (4)
    Corn syrup and corn starch as ingredients so guess its a good thing I asked. Thanks so much for the reply. Am going to fix one tomorrow. Lois
    ...See More
  • jen_frazier
    16 years ago

Here is one i have modified - because i am on Weight Watchers -but it is great!

1 Shortbread pre made crust
    4 fresh peaches sliced
    peach glaze
    1 package fat free cream cheese
    1 small tub fat free cool whip
    1 cup powdered sugar

mix ff cream cheese, cool whip and powdered sugar till smooth. put in bottom of shortbread pie shell. cut up peaches and toss in peach glaze then put on top of cream chese mixture. place whole pie if refrigerator tll cold. this pie can also be frozen and eaten frozen!

hope this helps!
    JEnnifer

• ruthanna_gw
    16 years ago

This is my favorite peach pie:

NUTTY PEACH PIE

Standard pie pastry for a one-crust pie
    1 lightly beaten egg white
    8 cups peeled, pitted and sliced peaches (about 9 medium)
    1 cup sugar
    3 Tbs. quick-cooking tapioca
    Grated peel of one medium orange (orange part only)
    1 Tbs. orange juice

Topping:
    1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    1/3 cup flour
    3 Tbs. softened butter or margarine
    1 cup coarsely chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Fit pastry loosely into a 9 inch pie pan. Prick bottom and sides of crust in several places with a fork. Brush bottom and sides of crust with egg white. Bake crust for 7 minutes and remove to cool on wire rack. You can skip this step but it prevents a soggy crust.

In a large bowl, combine peaches, white sugar, tapioca, orange peel and juice. Toss to mix well. Turn filling into prepared pie shell. Combine brown sugar and flour. Cut in butter to make coarse crumbs. Stir in pecans. Sprinkle topping over peach filling. Bake pie for 15 minutes at 425 degrees. Cover loosely with foil; reduce heat to 400 degrees and bake 35 to 40 minutes longer, or until peaches are tender. Serves 8 Note: This can also be made without the crust. Just put the filling and topping in a pie pan and bake about 10 minutes less.

Although you're wanting to make a pie, we always have peach milkshakes during the season too.

FRESH PEACH MILKSHAKES

1 cup peeled diced fresh peaches
    1 or 2 Tbs. sugar
    2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
    1 cup cold milk
    1 cup vanilla ice cream

Place all ingredients in blender or milkshake maker. Mix until thick and fluffy. Makes 2 large glasses.

• lindac
    16 years ago

Doesn't that filling make 2 pies? My 9 inch pie plate sure won't hold 8 cups of peaches....nor apples for that amtter! LOL!
    Linda C

• Cloud Swift
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks all! Linda had the type of recipe that I was thinking of - one where the peaches aren't cooked. I used the crust I already had from Sol's Tomato Tart recipe and I used a different glaze because I wanted to use our peaches for that too.

Peach Glaze:
    2 cups peaches, peeled and sliced
    1/2 cup water
    1 cup sugar
    3 tbsp cornstarch
    1 tbsp butter
    3 tbsp lemon juice

Process peaches and water in blender or food processor until smooth. Combine sugar and cornstarch. Combine all that in a sauce pan and cook at medium heat stirring constantly until thick and clear (about 5 minutes). Remove from heat and add butter and lemon juice. Cool.

The result translucent rather than truely clear. Another time, I might try not blending the peaches and straining out the solid chunks after it has cooked a bit. Maybe I would cook the peaches and the sugar to draw out most of the peach juice, strain, then disolve the cornstarch in cool water, add to the peach juice and cook until thickened.

It is in the fridge chilling. I think the glaze was applied rather thickly. Should I have done a more light coating? I wanted to be sure I had enough on to keep the peaches from browning.

I had some pastry cream left over and about half the peach glaze. So I made a little crust cookie with the trimming from the crust and made up a couple of bowls with pastry cream, peaches and glaze so DH and I could taste test. I'm very pleased with the result - very peachy and not too sweet or too heavy.

My DH tried some of the glaze on ice cream and says it made a good peach sauce.

• Cloud Swift
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I forgot to mention that the Nutty Peach pie recipe sounds very good to and I printed it out to make another time.

I don't like to do recipes with gelatin. We keep kosher and the kosher gelatin sometimes doesn't jell well enough.

• Cloud Swift
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I made the nutty peach pie yesterday with a couple of modifications. I didn't have tapioca so I put in some corn starch as a thickener. I used a tbsp and a half - possibly I should have used a bit more since it was still pretty runny when warm but it has set up now that it has cooled.. DS wanted some cinnamon so I added a tsp plus 1/4 tsp of cloves. We have been modifying recipes to remove cinnamon because a good friend of his is allergic but we've been missing the cinnamon.

I didn't measure the peaches but I think it was about 5-6 cups mounded high.

I can see why it is ruthanna's favorite. I think it is my favorite cooked peach pie. The nutty crunchy topping sets off the peaches nicely and orange peel works nicely too. DH has been slicing and freezing peaches so we will have more of these latter.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH