SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jerickson100_gw

Do Electrical Switches Need to be Grounded?

jerickson100
13 years ago

We just moved into a new house two weeks ago. On our second day at the new house, an electrician who was installing light fixtures for us told us that the light switches were not grounded. He said that it was against code and he was amazed that they weren't grounded given the electrocution/fire risk. He offered to fix them for us for $15 apiece, and we probably have 40 switches in the house, so it was definitely going to be costly.

I didn't know this electrician well, so I decided to get a second opinion. The second electrician (recommended by my realtor) told me that the code now requires switches to be grounded, but this is a new requirement put in place after my house was built. He said that the code requirement is a safety precaution, but he did not recommend retrofitting the switches. On the other hand, he also works with my realtor, who has an incentive not to have any issues with the house crop up after the closing.

Given the two different opinions, I am at a bit of a loss. I don't have an electrician in this area who I trust. I checked with the inspector, but he said that the norm is not to take off the switch plates and check for grounding and he didn't have any additional advice for me. Does anyone have any advice on how I should proceed and whether this is in fact a safety risk that I should spend a bunch of money to fix?

Thanks,

Jessica

Comments (7)