SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susytwo

Baking sheet pie

susytwo
15 years ago

The bakery in our little town makes wonderful pies on large baking sheets. Last week I took home a half dozen squares of their strawberry-rhubarb with crumble topping, and it was just amazing.

I think these would be easy to make at home with my standard pie dough, but am not sure what the bake times would be. I'm worried that the center of the pie would not finish before the edges burned.

Does anyone here have a recipe for something like this?

Comments (24)

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I think what you are asking about is a galette or free-form pie baking on a baking sheet.

Here is a link for some information; then do a Google search for recipes and look at the baking times and temperatures.
    Teresa

Here is a link that might be useful: Galettes at Fine Cooking

• annie1992
    15 years ago

susytwo, I have a recipe for apple pie that's made on a large half sheet pan. It's not a free-form galette, it's actually a square pie baked in that big pan.

My recipe calls for baking at 350F for 45 minutes.

Annie

• Related Discussions

Question re baking apple pie

Q

Comments (1)
    I put a cookie sheet down at the next oven level below the pie plate, not directly underneath and touching it. That seems to work fine. SharonCb
    ...See More

Make apple pie to bake the next day?

Q

Comments (3)
    You'd be better off to bake it and then reheat it when you want to serve it. Or if not, then do as Ann recommends for the bottom crust, but you can also get the filling completely ready (be sure there is some lemon juice in it to keep the apples fresh looking) and put it in the refer until you assemble your pie. You can also roll out the top crust and keep it between plastic wrap, then place on the top of the pie before baking. It may be a little stiff to pinch the edges, so if you can let it (just the top crust) sit at room temp for a few minutes, that would be best. If the filling is chilled, it might take a bit longer for the pie to bake. Or you could do a crumb crust on top...mix it all up and keep in refer until you are ready to assemble the pie for baking.
    ...See More

Can she bake a cherry pie.....

Q

Comments (23)
    I’m so late to this, and will basically repeat what so many others have said, but… I would have been too occupied kissing those plump cheeks and sweet foreheads and smiling from happiness to get much done! Your grandkids are so lucky to have you – and you them, and the memories you’re making with them are priceless. It warms my heart to see how all your kids and grandkids enjoy cooking – because of the joy and love of cooking you teach and share with them : ) Like everyone else, these posts just make my day, filling me with such a good feeling. You are one very special person, Annie. Very special. Those photos are priceless! My 2 favorites are the first (those precious smiles!) and the messy kitchen pic! That gave me such a laugh and I thought, oh my, I’m sure Annie was exhausted just looking it at, but I knew you tackled the job the same way you go about everything in your life it seems – with cheerfulness! Like Jasdip, DH and I never desired children… but I always wanted to be a grandma… sigh.
    ...See More

Alternate way of Baking a Pie

Q

Comments (8)
    I've done it, and I've also baked a pie in a cast iron dutch oven over a campfire. They both turned out fine. I usually use a Pyrex glass pie pan so I can see when the bottom is nicely brown, but the cast iron makes a crunchy crust. I also use my cast iron griddle in lieu of a bread stone, because I broke the stone, and I have some little tiny frying pans that are meant for cookies and cast iron muffin pans shaped like kittens, like fish and like ears of corn. All of them work well, but the kittens are hard to get out of the pan because of the small details. Annie
    ...See More
  • CA Kate z9
    15 years ago

Yes, this is a mainstay at midwestern large events: picnics, fairs, church events, etc. They usually have either a crumb topping or are drizzled with vanilla frosting. I've made quite a few of these over the years. I agree with annie's time and temp.

• readinglady
    15 years ago

We call them slab pies. I have recipes for apple, cherry and apricot. They're great for large groups.

Carol

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

Carol, are you sharing??I'd love your recipe!

• lindac
    15 years ago

Do you need a recipe? or will the usual stuff for a fruit pie do it?
    Linda C....thinking funeral lunches.

• jimster
    15 years ago

Square pie? Now I've heard everything. I'm having a hard time reconciling that with my concept of pie charts.

Jim

• annie1992
    15 years ago

LindaC, mine has a top and bottom crust just like a regular pie, and the pie filling is about the same too.

I think you could use your own ingredients for your favorite pie, just a different pan.

Annie

• readinglady
    15 years ago

The first two recipes use a jelly roll pan, the third one a half-sheet. Once you see the recipes and understand the basic concept, it's easy to adapt filling, crust etc.

Farm Apple Pie

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    5 cups all-purpose flour
    4 teaspoons white sugar
    2 teaspoons salt -- (Too much salt, I think.)
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1 1/2 cups shortening
    2 egg yolks
    water
    5 pounds apples -- (about 12 cups)
    4 teaspoons lemon juice -- (less or more depending on apples)
    3/4 cup white sugar
    3/4 cup packed brown sugar
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Glaze:
    2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    2 tablespoons butter -- melted
    4 tablespoons milk

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).

Peel, core and slice apples, and toss with lemon juice.

Mix 3/4 cup white sugar and 3/4 cup brown sugar with cinnamon, set aside.

Make the dough. In a large bowl, mix flour, 4 teaspoons sugar, salt, and baking powder. Cut in shortening. Beat egg yolks in a 1 cup measuring cup, add water to make 1 cup. Stir into flour mixture to form the pastry.

Divide pastry in about half. Use the larger portion for the bottom crust. Roll out bottom crust to fit the bottom and extended up and over the sides of jelly roll pan (pan is about 10 X 15 inches). Place crust in the pan.

Alternate layers of apples and sugar mixture on the bottom crust.

Roll out the top crust slightly larger than the jelly roll pan, and place on top of the apple filling. Turn the extended top crust under the bottom crust at the edges and pinch to seal. Make small slits in top crust to allow steam to escape.

Bake at 400 degrees F (200 degrees C) for 50 minutes or until the top crust is browned.

To make glaze, combine confectioners sugar, vanilla, butter, and milk until mixture has consistency of a glaze. Drizzle glaze over the top of the pie while it is still warm. Cut into squares to serve.

Here's a similar recipe with a streusel topping rather than a top crust:

Apple Slab Pie

Categories : Desserts Pies and Pastries

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 1/2 tablespoons white sugar
    1/2 cup shortening
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    2 egg yolks -- beaten
    4 tablespoons water
    8 apples - peeled -- cored and cut into thin wedges
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1 3/4 cups white sugar
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    2 tablespoons butter
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    2/3 cup brown sugar
    2/3 cup butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C.) In a large bowl, combine flour sugar, salt and baking powder. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Mix egg yolk and water together and mix into flour until it forms a ball. Roll out to fit the bottom of a 10x15 inch pan.

In a large bowl, combine apples, lemon juice, 2 tablespoons flour, sugar and cinnamon. Pour filling into pie crust and dot with 2 tablespoons butter.

In a medium bowl, combine 1 cup flour, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 2/3 cup brown sugar and 2/3 cup butter. Cut in the butter until crumbly, then sprinkle over apples.

Bake in the preheated oven for 60 minutes, or until topping is golden brown.

And there's this variation from my MIL's files. I haven't made this one myself:

Apricot Cherry Slab Pie

Categories: Pies

3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 cup shortening
    1 egg yolk
    milk
    1/2 cup sugar
    3 tablespoons cornstarch
    3 15 1/4 oz. cans apricot halves -- drained and quartered
    1 16 oz. can pitted tart cherries -- drained

1 recipe Vanilla Glaze
    1 1/4 cups sifted powdered sugar
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla
    6 teaspoons milk (or enough to make drizzling consistency)

For Pastry: in a large mixing bowl stir together the flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Lightly beat egg yolk in a glass measuring cup. Add enough milk to yolk to make 3/4 cup total liquid; mix well. Stir egg yolk mixture into flour mixture, mix well. Set aside 1/3 of the dough.

On a lightly floured surface, roll remaining 2/3 dough into an 18x12 inch rectangle. To transfer pastry, carefully wrap it around the rolling pin, unroll into a 15x10x1 inch baking pan. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In a large bowl combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in apricots and cherries. Spoon into the prepared crust. Roll the remaining dough into a 16x11 inch rectangle. Place over the fruit. Bring bottom pastry up and over top pastry. Seal edges with the tines of a fork. Prick top pastry over entire surface. Bake about 40 minutes until golden brown. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Cut into 2x3 inch bars.

Vanilla Glaze: In a small bowl combine sifted powdered sugar, vanilla and enough milk to make drizzling consistency.

Yield: "25 bars"
    Carol

• stacy3
    15 years ago

The place that we pick our blueberries in August posts this great recipe on their website. I can't wait to make it again.

Aunt Carmen's Sheet Pie

This recipe was developed by my Aunt Carmen, who baked wedding cakes as a side line for years. She graciously conceded to having this placed on the website as many customers have repeatedly and nicely asked. I only ask that you not change the name of the recipe.

PIE CRUST: Mix 4 cups flour, 1 tbsp sugar and 3/4 tsp salt. Cut in 2/3 c shortening of choice until shortening is pea size using a knife and fork or pastry blender. Add 2/3 c shortening more and again cut it in. Add 3/4 c ICE water and stir with a fork until dough sticks together well. Divide into 2 pieces and let it rest for 15 minutes. Roll out the first piece for the bottom of pan and the second for the top. Poke holes in crust and/or make designs with butter knife in top.

BLUEBERRY SHEET PIE: Follow above and place bottom crust in 12 x 15 x 1/2" cookie sheet. Mix 7 cups blueberries, 1 1/4 c sugar, 1/4 c tapioca or cornstarch and a dash of lemon juice. Fill pan and place crust on top. Bake at 400 for 1 hour. You may use any combination of 7 c fruit. Try pineapple or mix peaches or raspberries or blueberries.

• sally2_gw
    15 years ago

Jim, don't you know that pie are squared?

Soon after my DH and I were married, my MIL made a fresh blackberry cobbler in a big baking sheet/cake pan, which I guess isn't all that unusual. Not having grown up with a mother that made deserts, I had never experienced anything quite as extraordinary tasting as that. Of course, cobbler in a big pan is not so unusual as a pie in a big pan, but this thread reminded me of that experience.

Once again, I'm going to have to save these recipes. I don't know when I'll need to make a pie that big, but the time may come.

Sally

• jimster
    15 years ago

I deserved that, Sally. :-)

Jim

• shaun
    15 years ago

My MIL made something like this YEARS ago for us. It had pineapple in it. It was totally delicious.

I hadnt thought of it in so long.

I have a question on the pie crust. Can you use a food processor to mix up the dough for the crust? If so, can someone type out the directions for doing that> I'm scared of pie crust dough.

• lindac
    15 years ago

I use a food processor to mix the shortening and the flourt hen mix in the water by hand.
    However if I am making just a single crust pie...I will do it in the food processor, water (or vodka) too.
    Linda C

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

Thank you for the recipes, Carol and Stacy! This will be great for a large group!

Shaun, I fear pie crust too...it doesn't like me!! My mom made the best, never a recipe, I can't duplicate it, and no one's tastes like hers!

LOL, Sally...

• sheesh
    15 years ago

Kathleen, if you can't ask your mother, try lard. There is nothing better for making pie crust, it's easy to handle and it rolls like a dream. It's tender, tasty, flaky - perfect! I know it's taboo, but after years of trying to make butter and shortening crusts I finally took my Grandma's advice and tried lard. It is what makes the difference. I justify by realizing that we don't eat THAT many pies....!

Yes, you make it in a food processor or a mixer. I prefer the processor. I am a renowned pie maker in my neck of the woods. I always say "It's a lard crust." People either ask questions or pretend they don't believe me, but they still love my pies. I'll give you my recipe if you want it.

Sherry

• shaun
    15 years ago

So..... if you put all the ingredients into the food processor, and pulse it or whatever you do with it, do you just let it process until the dough forms and then just roll it out?

• annie1992
    15 years ago

Be careful Shaun, I've never mastered pie crust in the food processor, although I've made it with a pastry cutter by hand for decades.

The processor always seems to make the dough too "warm" and it can't be handled until I refrigerate it for some time. I'm told I'm over processing, but it doesn't mix well together with less time.

I gave up and use my pastry cutter!

Annie

• sheesh
    15 years ago

Not exactly, Shaun. I mix 2 1/2 C flour with 1/2 t salt, scatter cubed pieces of lard (1/2 pkg, just like butter) over it, pulse 4 or 5 times. With a fork or narrow spatula, sort of rearrange it in the processor bowl; pulse another 4 or 5 times, rearrange again. Now while you're pulsing, also drizzle in 3 T cold water until it starts to form big clumps. Check it, add another T or two cold water, pulse a couple times and you're done. Divide it in two, make balls and flatten them, cover with plastic wrap, refrigerate half an hour to an hour (or a day or two). I roll mine on a floured silpat.

Annie, I used to use my pastry cutter and always had to refrigerate the dough before rolling. My Grandma always refrigerated hers, too, and she used two knives. All my cookbooks say to do it also. You must be very deft to get away without doing it! I wish I could. Sometimes it seems like forever to wait for the crust to cool.

I know I sound like a crank about lard, but...I have a vegetarian dtr. I always make a shortening crust for her, lard crust for the rest of us. No matter how I try, the lard crust is always better and easier to handle.

• sally2_gw
    15 years ago

Sherry, I was going to point out to you to be sure and let vegetarians know there's lard in the pies, but obviously, you already know to do that. :-)

Annie, count me with you - I've tried making pie dough in the food processor, and just can't do it. It always ends up over mixed. It's not at all hard to make it by hand, so why lug out the processor and have that awkward thing to have to wash, too? Pie dough is one of those things that the food processor is just more trouble than doing by hand.

Sally

• shaun
    15 years ago

Ok ix nay the food processor. I need to get one of those gizmos that squishes the butter into the flour... the pastry thing. I want to try to make one of these pies.

• blizlady
    15 years ago

I also am really bad at making rolled pie crusts. Has anyone ever made a pat-in-pan pie crust for a sheet pan pie like these? I found this recipe, but it looks like it would have to be doubled for a 10 x 15 inch jelly roll pan. Although it states at the end that the recipe can't be doubled, I think they mean you can't use half of the recipe to roll out a top crust. Does anyone think this would work for a streusel topped slab pie?

PAT-IN-PAN PIE CRUST

(Makes pastry for a single-crust 8- or 9- inch pie)

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups plus 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    3 tablespoons cold milk

Directions:

Place the flour, sugar, and salt in the pie pan and mix with your fingers until blended. In a measuring cup, combine the oil and milk and beat with a fork until creamy. Pour all at once over the flour mixture. Mix with a fork until the flour mixture is completely moistened. Pat the dough with your fingers, first up the sides of the plate, then across the bottom. Flute the edges.

Shell is now ready to be filled. If you are preparing a shell to fill later, or your recipe requires a prebaked crust, preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Prick the surface of the pastry with a fork and bake 15 minutes, checking often, and pricking more if needed.

VARIATION: For a 10-inch shell, use 2 cups all-purpose flour; 2 teaspoons sugar; 1 teaspoon salt; 2/3 cup vegetable oil; 3 tablespoons milk.

"quote from cook book"

Quick, crisp but tender, it needs no rolling out. I highly recommend this pie crust, especially if you think you can't make a good pie. This recipe can only be used for one-crust pies____you can't double the recipe and roll out a top crust. The mixture is just too tender to transfer from the pastry board or cloth to the pie.

Teri August

• annie1992
    15 years ago

Sherrmann, I don't know that I'm particularly deft, LOL, but I always use ice water, just like Grandma taught me, and I don't mean cold water, I mean ICE WATER. See Grandma, I was listening. (grin)

I also find pie crust made with lard to be easier to handle and flakier, but my cholesterol level required me to give it up. I quit when I heard my arteries slamming shut when I listened closely. I still miss it, though.

Anyway, roll out my dough, fold it in half, then in half again, put it into my pan and unfold it. Sometimes I have to "patch", but not usually.

Annie

• readinglady
    15 years ago

I think lard makes wonderful pastry, but if you're buying it, don't get the hydrogenated kind that sits on the shelf. Look for it in a refrigerated case in the meat department or ask the meat manager.

Also, lard can go rancid, so if you can give it the sniff test. Some markets have high turnover. In others that lard may sit there for months.

Annie has the great benefit of her own butchered pork, so the lard can't be beat.

Carol