SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loralee_2007

Need ideas what to do with beef/pork roast

loralee_2007
15 years ago

I'm tired of plain ole' pot roast & gravy or stew, and need some new ideas what to do with either beef or pork roasts.

Any recipes that you can share for something different would be greatly appreciated!

Lora

Comments (13)

• ilene_in_neok
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

My favorite thing to do with a beef pot roast is put it in the crock pot, pour in a can of beer and let it simmer all day. Add a small can of mushrooms and some chopped onion near the end, serve with mashed potatoes and fresh green beans.

Often I will cut a pork roast into small pieces, brown them and simmer in some chicken stock till tender and make Sweet & Sour Pork with pineapple, onion and chunks of green bell pepper.

Of course there's always good old barbeque pork or beef sandwiches. Cook, without liquid, till tender in the crock pot, pour off the liquid that the roasting process makes, add a small bottle of your favorite barbeque sauce.

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

This recipe can be done in a heavy pan on the stove-top, in the oven, or cooked in a pressure cooker. You can leave the roast in one piece or cut the meat into largish 2-inch cubes.

Secret Recipe Beef Pot Roast or Stewed Beef

"Tomatoes, cola, and spaghetti sauce mix are the starring ingredients of this pot roast, which may be cooked in advance and reheated."

INGREDIENTS:
    1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed
    tomatoes
    1 cup cola-flavored carbonated
    beverage
    1 packet dry spaghetti sauce
    mix 1 cup chopped onion
    3/4 cup chopped celery
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
    3 pounds beef chuck roast large cubes
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil

DIRECTIONS:
    1.In a large bowl, break up tomatoes in their juice. Stir in cola, spaghetti sauce mix, onion, celery, salt, and garlic salt. Stir until spaghetti sauce mix is dissolved.
    2.In a Dutch oven, over medium high heat, brown meat in oil about 10 minutes on each side. Drain off all fat. Pour tomato mixture over meat. Cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer slowly for about 2 1/2 hours, or until meat is tender

• Related Discussions

What to do with pork roast (apple, fennel, shallot dressing)

Q

Comments (6)
    Wow....I just looked at that recipe with a critical eye.....that will be a mucky mess...it will be something like an egg strata without the eggs...It will be too soft to pack into a rolled pork roast....if you put in 3 cups of milk! I would only add as much liquid as you need to moisten....and that liquid wouldn't be milk but broth. Teh fruits and vegetables sound wonderful together....but then it goes and adds a lot of bread and milk. I'll bet it would be good baked in a casserole though and served as a side.
    ...See More

What about pork loin roast in the pressure cooker?

Q

Comments (12)
    I use mine for stuff that normally needs hours of cooking, so that exact timing isn't needed. For example, if I'm making oxtail or beef shank, it doesn't make a difference if I pressure cook it for 1 h or 1 h 15 m, because normally it doesn't make a difference if you cook it (w/o pressure cooker) for 3 h or 3 h 45 m. There is occasionally stuff that can be cooked in a shorter time, but where the exact time still doesn't matter. An example is making a quickie chicken stock, brown the carcass and add water + veg, then high pressure for 20 m (1 h w/o pressure) - but if I get distracted so it turns out to be 30 m (1 h 30 m w/o pressure), it doesn't matter. I recall once investigating the feasibility of a temperature probe that could be placed into meat inside the PC, and transmit a reading to a gauge outside the PC. I didn't find anything.
    ...See More

What to do with left over beef roast?

Q

Comments (15)
    Chili meat? The tomatoes will soften a whole chunk of roast in just a couple hours. I can buy large round roasts cheaper then ground beef and chili is a easy way to use a couple pounds at a time. I just put a whole frozen chunk into a pot of tomatoes with chili spices and boil it for a couple hours. A little work with a potato masher and the whole chunk breaks down. Then I add my beans and whatever. Very easy and very good. Made some this morning before work with cabbage, mushrooms, onions, serrenos, and chick peas for a dish that is half way between chili and a spicy garden stew. First tomatoes and peppers from the garden... so good! : ) lyra
    ...See More

RECIPE: Ginger's Crockpot Beef (Pork)

Q

Comments (12)
    Around here we are trying to cut down on food being thrown away, so recycling what we cooked the night before into a new meal is always on our mind. I am including a link to a very easy recipe for leftover pork roast from Betty, a real popular online chef. Here is a link that might be useful: southern pulled pork sandwich recipe
    ...See More
  • doucanoe
    15 years ago

Ginger's Crockpot French Dips are always a hit!

CROCKPOT FRENCH DIP SANDWICHES
    2 cups water
    1/2 cup soy sauce
    4 whole peppercorns
    1 tsp dried rosemary
    1 tsp dried thyme
    1 bay leaf
    1 tsp garlic powder (had none so used 1 minced garlic clove)
    3 lb boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed
    8 French or sourdough rolls, split

Combine water, soy sauce, peppercorns, rosemay, thym & garlic in a slow cooker, stirring until wel blended. Place rost in cooker & cover.

Cook on high for 5-6 hours or until beef is tender. Remove meat from broth & shred with a fork. Serve beef on rolls. Pour broth in small bowls for dipping.~~ Good topped with Swiss cheese or sauteed onions, peppers or both. I like mustard on the rolls, too.~~

Linda

• khandi
    15 years ago

Here's a recipe I found this morning on the Food & Drink website.

SLOW-BARBECUED CARIBBEAN PORK

EARLY SUMMER 2007
    By: Jennifer MacKenzie

Braised to moist tenderness with Island seasonings, pork shoulder roast is not only economical, it's robust with flavour. If using a gas barbecue, more than 1 burner is essential to cook with indirect heat. If your barbecue doesn't have a built-in thermometer, place an oven thermometer on the unlit side beside the roast to be sure the temperature is maintained. The oven version is just as tasty and easy. Cut roast into thin slices and serve on roti, tortillas or buns and top with fresh, colourful Mango Salsa and Chili Potato Wedges (recipes follow).

4 lb (2 kg) boneless pork shoulder blade (butt) roast, tied
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    2 tbsp (25 mL) minced fresh ginger root
    2 tbsp (25 mL) packed brown sugar
    1 tbsp (15 mL) minced fresh hot pepper
    1 tbsp (15 mL) dried thyme
    1 tsp (5 mL) ground allspice
    1 tsp (5 mL) salt
    ½ tsp (2 mL) ground cinnamon
    1 cup (250 mL) coconut milk
    ¼ cup (50 mL) freshly squeezed lime juice

1. Place roast in a large foil pan (for barbecue) or a roasting pan (for oven). Combine garlic, ginger, sugar, hot pepper, thyme, allspice, salt and cinnamon in a bowl. Stir in 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the coconut milk. Spread all over roast. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, preheat the barbecue to high or oven to 350°F (180°C).

3. Combine remaining coconut milk and lime juice and pour around roast in pan. Cover entire pan with foil, sealing tightly around pan but not touching roast.

4. If barbecuing, turn 1 side of barbecue off and reduce other burner(s) to medium-high or temperature required to maintain 350°F (180°C). Place pan on unlit side of barbecue or place in oven. Grill or roast for 2 to ½ hours.

5. Uncover and baste roast with pan juices. Grill or roast, uncovered, for 30 to 45 minutes longer, basting twice more, until fork tender and a meat thermometer reads 170°F (75°C). Tent with foil and let stand for 15 minutes before carving.

6. Transfer roast to a cutting board, discarding pan juices. Cut off strings and cut roast into thin slices. Serve with Mango Salsa and Chili Potato Wedges. Serves 8

Mango Salsa

This fresh and tangy salsa is the perfect complement to the pork. It is best made just before serving but can be covered but can be covered and refrigerated for up to 2 hours.

2 firm ripe mangos
    1 tsp (5 mL) grated lime zest
    2 tbsp (25 mL) freshly squeezed lime juice
    2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
    1 tsp (5 mL) minced fresh hot peppers (or to taste)
    ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt

1. Peel mango and cut flesh from pits. Dice flesh and place in a bowl. Add lime zest, lime juice, cilantro, hot pepper and salt. Toss gently to combine. Taste and check seasonings.

Makes about 2 cups (500 mL)

Chili Potato Wedges

Traditional foil-packet barbecued potatoes get a boost that will liven up any barbecue meal. Ancho chili powder is increasingly available and gives a nice chili flavour without overpowering heat. If you like a smoky heat, add ¼ tsp (1 mL) chipotle pepper powder to the butter mixture. The zesty dip is easily put together as the crispy-crusted potatoes cook.

3 lbs (1.5 kg) baking potatoes (russet or Yukon gold)
    ¼ cup (50 mL) butter, softened
    1½ tsp (7 mL) ancho or other chili powder
    1 tsp (5 mL) sea salt or kosher salt
    ¼ tsp (1 mL) freshly ground black pepper

Dip

1 cup (250 mL) sour cream or mayonnaise
    1 tsp (5 mL) grated lime zest
    ¼ tsp (1 mL) ancho or other chili powder

1. Preheat the barbecue to medium-high or oven to 350ºF (180ºC).

2. Scrub potatoes under running water. Pat dry and cut each lengthwise into 8 wedges. Place on a large piece of heavy-duty foil.

3. Mash butter, chili powder, salt and pepper together in a bowl. Drop in small dollops randomly over potatoes on foil. Top with another large piece of foil and seal both pieces together with a tightly crimped edge. Slide onto a baking sheet.

4. Slide packet off baking sheet onto grill or place on sheet in oven. Grill or bake for 30 minutes, gently shaking packet a few times and flipping over halfway. Carefully unseal a small section and check potatoes with a fork to ensure they are tender. If not, reseal and cook for 5 to 10 minutes longer.

5. Meanwhile, make dip. Combine sour cream, lime zest and chili powder in a serving bowl.

6. Let potatoes stand for 5 minutes. Open packet and, using a lifter, remove potatoes from foil (you may have to scrape the crispy ones) and transfer to a serving platter. Serve dip on the side.

Serves 8

• jimster
    15 years ago

Roast pork loin stuffed with prunes is very good. It's a great combination as are other pork-fruit combinations. I don't have a favorite recipe but there are MANY on the internet.

Jim

• dixiedog_2007
    15 years ago

I've always liked this recipe of Ina's (Barefoot Contessa). You can cook the pork to a higher temp. if you prefer but not too much more or it can get "chewy."

Roast Loin of Pork with Fennel
    Copyright 2001, Barefoot Contessa Parties!,
    Prep Time: 20 minutes
    Cook Time: 40 minutes
    Inactive Prep Time: 45 minutes
    Yield: 6 servings

2 cloves garlic, minced
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper, plus 1 tablespoon kosher salt
    1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
    1/4 cup Dijon mustard
    1 (3-pound) boneless pork loin, trimmed and tied
    3 small fennel bulbs, tops removed
    8 carrots, peeled, and thickly sliced diagonally
    10 small potatoes (red or white-skinned), cut in quarters 2 yellow onions, thickly sliced
    4 tablespoons good olive oil
    4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. With a mortar and pestle, or in a food processor fitted with a steel blade, grind together the garlic, 1 tablespoon salt, and thyme leaves. Add the mustard. Spread the mixture over the loin of pork and allow it to sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, cut the fennel bulbs in thick wedges, cutting through the core. Toss the fennel, carrots, potatoes, and onions in a bowl with the olive oil, melted butter, salt, and pepper to taste. Place the vegetables in a large roasting pan and cook for 30 minutes.

Add the pork loin to the pan and continue to cook for another 30 minutes, or until a meat thermometer inserted into the middle of the pork reads exactly 138 degrees.

Remove the meat from the pan and return the vegetables to the oven to keep cooking. Cover the meat with aluminum foil and allow it to rest for 15 minutes. Remove the strings from the meat and slice it thickly. Arrange the meat and vegetables on a platter. Sprinkle with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Serve warm.

I also like her Loin of Pork with Fennel (stuffing is in the center) from her Barefoot Contessa at Home cookbook. I don't have the recipe on my computer.

I also love pork with fruit especially apples and pineapple.

• pat_t
    15 years ago

I love, love, love the combo of fruit & pork. When I was considering what to make for my practical exam my first semester of culinary school, this recipe was in the running:

PORK LOIN WITH APPLES, PRUNES, AND MUSTARD CREAM SAUCE

1 (4 lb.) boneless pork loin roast, tied by butcher
    1-3/4 tsp. salt
    1-1/2 tsp. black pepper
    1 Tblsp. olive oil
    2 Granny Smith apples (3/4 lb total)
    1 large onion, chopped
    1/2 cup packed dried pitted prunes (sometimes called dried plums; 4-1/2 oz.), quartered
    1-1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth (12 oz.)
    3/4 cup water
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    2 Tblsp. coarse-grain mustard
    1/2 cup dry white wine

Put oven rack in lower third of oven and preheat oven to 375°F.
    Halve pork loin crosswise, then pat dry and sprinkle with 1 tsp. salt and 3/4 tsp. pepper (total). Heat oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then brown pork, 1 piece at a time, turning occasionally, 6 to 8 minutes per piece. Transfer to a small flameproof roasting pan as browned (do not clean skillet) and roast pork until thermometer inserted diagonally at least 2 inches into meat registers 150°F, 40 to 50 minutes.

While pork roasts, peel, quarter, and core apples, then cut into 1/4-inch-thick wedges. Pour off all but 1 Tblsp. fat from skillet, and then cook onion in skillet over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add apples, prunes, broth, and water and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until apples are tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Stir in cream and mustard and simmer until sauce is slightly thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and keep sauce warm, partially covered.

Transfer pork to a cutting board and let stand 10 minutes. Add wine to roasting pan and boil over high heat, stirring and scraping up brown bits, until reduced to about 1/4 cup, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir pan juices into cream sauce along with remaining 3/4 tsp. salt and remaining 3/4 tsp. pepper and heat sauce over moderate heat, stirring, until hot.

Discard string from pork and cut each half crosswise into 4 slices. Serve pork with sauce. Makes 8 servings.

From Gourmet, February 2004.

• khandi
    15 years ago

This is my aunt's recipe. She's famous in the family for these kabobs. She uses a cast iron Dutch oven. She also told me that a lot of people told her they were unsuccessful when making this dish. She said it was because you have to check on it about every 10 minutes after an 1-1/2 hours to check for doneness as it can dry out too much.

Meat Sticks

2-3 lbs pork shoulder roast
    4 garlic cloves, crushed and chopped (adjust number of cloves to your taste)
    1½ tsp salt (or to taste)
    Pepper, to taste
    3 eggs, beaten
    2 cups dry breadcrumbs
    1½ cups oil
    3 dozens 6-inch wooden skewers

Trim off skin and fat from the pork roast. Cut into 1-inch cubes.

Combine cubed pork with the garlic, salt, and pepper. Let marinade for 2 to 3 hours.

Put meat on skewers. Dip meat sticks in beaten eggs and then roll in the breadcrumbs.

Brown meat sticks in approximately 1½ cups of oil in a skillet. Then place in a roast pan.

Bake for approximately 2 hours at 325°F (check frequently for doneness so they dont dry out).

NOTE: It is important to keep checking the meat for tenderness by piercing the meat with a fork. Its done when the meat pulls away from the stick. It is easy to dry out the meat!

I really like this dish. Haven't made it in awhile!

Sweet & Sour Pork

¼ cup peanut oil (or other)
    1 egg, beaten
    1 lb pork shoulder, cut into ½-inch cubes
    2 Tbsp cornstarch
    ½ tsp salt
    ½ cup consommé
    1 cup diced pineapple
    2 Tbsp minced onion
    1 green pepper, finely diced
    2 tsp cornstarch
    2 tsp soya sauce
    ¼ cup brown sugar
    ½ cup pineapple juice
    1 Tbsp ketchup

Heat oil in a large frying pan. Roll meat in beaten egg and then in 2 Tbsp of cornstarch mixed with salt.

Brown quickly in hot oil, over high heat, stirring often. Lower heat and cook for 7 minutes. Remove the pork from the fat.

To the fat in the frying pan, add the consommé, pineapple, onion and green pepper. Boil for 5 minutes.

Add the cooked pork, and cook for another 5 minutes.

Blend 2 tsp cornstarch with soya sauce, brown sugar, pineapple juice and ketchup, and pour into pan. Boil, while stirring, until it thickens.

Serve with steamed rice

This is my SIL's recipe.

Italian Porketta

2 to 4 lbs boneless pork loin roast
    3 Tbsp dill seed
    1 Tbsp fennel seed
    ½ tsp oregano
    1 tsp lemon pepper
    ¼ tsp onion powder
    ¼ tsp garlic powder

Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine all the spices. Coat roast with spice mixture. Bake for 1 hour, until cooked (160°F). Let rest 10 minutes before slicing.

This recipe I have in my files. Can't remember where I got it from.

Jamaican Roast Beef

(Caitlin)

This roast beef will melt like butter in your mouth.

1 Medium sized beef pot roast
    ½ cup oil
    One small onion finely chopped
    2 stalks scallion finely chopped
    5-6 large garlic cloves finely minced
    2 sprigs thyme (leaves pulled from stalks)
    6 crushed pimentos
    ½ tsp black pepper
    ½ tsp salt
    3 Tbsp mushroom flavoured oyster sauce or rich soy sauce
    ¼ tsp very finely chopped scotch bonnet pepper
    1 tsp sugar
    Boiling water

1. Combine in a bowl, the onion, scallion, garlic, thyme, pimento, black pepper, salt, scotch bonnet, sugar and oyster/soy sauce.

2. Set aside and pat beef dry. Make 5 or more 1"-wide slits through the meat until almost completely through to the other side.

3. Stuff each cavity completely with seasoning mixture, covering the outside also. Cover tightly and place in fridge overnight.

4. Allow meat to get as close to room temperature as possible before cooking. Place oil in Dutch pot and heat on high until oil is just smoking. VERY CAREFULLY, and quickly place meat (slit side down) in pot, covering immediately as it will splash oil. This is done to ensure maximum searing of the meat to seal in juices and seasoning. When meat is dark brown in colour, turn to another side until all sides have been properly seared.

5. Turn your flame down to low and add about 3 cups of boiling water, just covering the beef. Continue to cook for about 3-4 hours until fork tender, turning every 30-45 minutes and adding water if gravy starts getting too thick. Once the gravy starts to thicken, it will burn easily so check regularly.

6. Allow to sit for about 20 minutes before carving..... Enjoy!

• becky_ca
    15 years ago

A friend came to visit last January and made us these carnitas while she was here - they're now a family favorite :-)

Becky

* Exported from MasterCook *

Kathy's Carnitas

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    3 pounds boneless pork shoulder roast (3-4) -- cubed and trimmed of visible fat
    1 can or bottle beer
    tequila (couple of turns around the pan)
    5 garlic cloves
    1 onion -- chunked
    1 teaspoon ground cumin (1-2)
    1 tablespoon brown sugar
    2 limes (2-3) -- juiced
    cilantro springs
    chicken broth or boullion cubes

Place meat, garlic and onions in large pot. Sprinkle with cumin and brown sugar. Add beer, tequila, lime juice. Add enough water to cover meat. Add one boullion cube for each cup of water. Or use chicken broth to cover meat. Simmer, covered, for 2 hours. Remove lid and increase heat to completely reduce liquid. Remove meat fron the pot and fry up in a large skillet.

Serve with warm tortillas and your favorite condiments: chopped cilantro, lime wedges, sour cream, salsa, etc.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

• jimster
    15 years ago

Those are some great sounding recipes. Pat's pork loin with apples and prunes sounds elegant and very, very good.

Jim

• arley_gw
    15 years ago

The recipe in this link is for one of my favorite pork recipes. It can be made with a pork loin or (my favorite) a Boston butt. Amazingly simple, amazingly good. Just pork, a little butter & oil, a little salt & pepper, and milk.

This is from Marcella Hazan's 'Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking'; this recipe, plus the recipe for Roast Chicken with Lemons, is justification enough to buy the cookbook. Wonderful stuff.

• jimster
    15 years ago

Thanks for that one, Arley. It's a must try.

I need to visit Bologna. From what I hear, some of the tastiest food anywhere is to be found there.

Jim

• chery2
    15 years ago

Have you heard of chalupah? [spelling and pronounciation vary] It's a must have on our annual family beach trip to Emerald Isle, NC. My mother started it, and I'm not sure she ever wrote down the ingredients or how-to. I guess it varies with the maker. Anyway, this is what I'm going to do this year:

CHALUPAH
    cheapest pork roast you can find
    dried beans [pinto, navy, whatever]
    at least 5 pkg chili seasoning
    large yellow onion

Boil beans and pork together until pork falls apart when touched w/ a fork. Takes a few hours. Chop and add onion the last 20-30 minutes or so, along w/ chili seasoning.

condiments:

chopped, sliced, diced or whole --

green olives
    black olives
    tomatoes
    lettuce or fresh spinach
    cucumbers, onions
    peppers
    or anything else you like in a salad

Big Fritos or rice as a base

Use salad dressing of choice, sour cream, and/or salsa on top.

We've done it differently every year and liked it every time.

chery2