SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
barbara_t46

which flourescent to enhance color of kitchen cabinets

barbara_t
16 years ago

I recently posted a question here and received great info. I have new natural cherry cabinets in my kitchen with an old overhead fluorescent light. The cabinets look brown and dull. Suggestion was to replace the current fluorescent light with one that has warm tones and high cri.

So I placed a sample strip of the cabinets beneath my warm white fluorescent undercabinet lights.

What a surprise! Only one of the lights produced a rich reddish color on the cabinet sample. Even though I bought the fixtures at same time from HD, each fixture has bulbs with different manufacturers.

The best light by far is a T-5 GE Starcoat High Efficiency 3000K with 85 cri. The only information on the other bulbs is the wattage/warm white/country of origin

I would like a 48" light fixture (could use 24" if I have to). I've been searching thru the internet for a while but finally figured out I need to pester the experts here(to get a real answer)

Questions:

Is the GE Starcoat 8300 available in that length?

What wattage will I need?

Do T-5's come in 24" or 48" length?

It seems like I'll have to go with High Output instead of High Efficiency. Will that make a difference on the color of the light output?

Is there something special about "Starcoat" or would any 8300 fixture produce the same result?

thanks in advance for any information on this.

Barbara

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz