SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rmcdaniel

Advice on the world's cheapest kitchen reno

rmcdaniel
15 years ago

After 2 years in our house, we are finally getting ready to tackle the kitchen. Since we are a military family (so we're poor and may have to move at a moment's notice!) our renovation budget will be very, very small and my husband will be doing it all himself (with a little help occasionally from friends). Though I know this won't be my dream kitchen I am having trouble reconciling myself to it; after years and years of living in base housing (some nice, some deteriorating around our (and the resident rats) ears) I finally have a chance to make choices about my own home!

Our house is a 60's style ranch with a galley kitchen; luckily, the center aisle has plenty of room. Here are the particulars and some questions:

The cabinets are solid wood and well made, so a good cleaning and painting (white is my first choice), a change out of some of the scrolly trim pieces and new hardware and hinges should update them nicely. We were thinking of using the ACE cabinet paint since it is actually available out here in the middle of nowhere!

I have convinced my husband to replace a small unused desk and dinky display cabinet at the end of one run of cabinets with nice deep shelves (finished to blend with the cabinets and look like a built in) for extra storage. I was thinking of backing it with beadboard (which we have on the walls in the entry and dining room that connect to the kitchen). Our appliances are white (or will be; we have replaced the dishwasher, oven and refrigerator over the last few years and have the cooktop and micro hood (a necessity when you have 15.5 linear feet of counter, half of that taken up with sink/cooktop) already).

We replaced the world's ugliest light fixtures when we moved in with nickel finish schoolhouse lights.

We are torn on the countertop. We like the Bedrock Creations "kitchen in a box" granite tile system in the Toronto Grey ($650 + $95 shipping + about $100 for new underlayment) and have looked at doing a postform Formica Radiance laminate countertop (with the front edge that goes all the way under to avoid chipping) in Smoke Quarstone. (http://www.formica.com/publish/site/na/us/en/index/laminate/collection/radiance_collection.html#) I don't think there would be a huge difference in resale given the price point of the house and I know the Formica would be easier to install for my poor husband but it's so hard to tell what it will look like from the tiny sample chip. Has anyone used this laminate?

I was thinking of a white cast iron sink (to match the appliances) and a stainless steel or chrome arc faucet. Will this work against such a dark counter? (I'm stuck with the white cooktop, so I hope white will work!)

I'd like to use white subway tile on the backsplash regardless of the counter we go with (right down to the countertop) but I'm worried that it would be boring. Would some sort of pencil tile or rope accent in a pewter be enough to break it up and tie in the counters, do you think?

The floors are the one thing we cannot agree on. I would have loved to use the old fashioned white and black vinyl tile but our realtor advised us against it in no uncertain terms. (She said some people would see that tile and just turn around and leave, no matter how nice the rest of the house was.) Her advice was a neutral beige tile to tie into the wood laminate and beige-y brown entry hall tile. I need to stay under $2 a square foot. Lowes has some 13 x 13 ceramic tile with a bit of grey in it for 69 cents each or larger 16 x 16 porcelain tile for $1.78 a square foot. Is the porcelain tile worth spending that much more on?

I tried to talk my husband into floating wood laminate but he said absolutely not, since our washer/dryer sits in a closet in the kitchen.

Our $2,000 budget for cabinet redo, counter and floors doesn't sound like much but to us it's huge. I am so afraid of making a mistake and wasting money or making us go over budget (or ending up with something that I hate) that I am almost paralyzed and ready to give up. I'm in such a tizzy I think my husband is about ready to volunteer to deploy again to get away from me! Any helpful advice or suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

Comments (12)