SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

have you gotten anything from your wish list lately?

vacuumfreak
15 years ago

I've been missing everyone here... I've been busy with work and trying to lose weight (which this forum is NOT conducive to!) so I haven't been attending the forum much lately.

Well, my microscopic apartment kitchen has gotten a few additions these past few weeks... ones that are really helping me enjoy being in the kitchen, and that I have wanted for a long time. It's very nice to get something that you've been wanting for a while :o)

The first thing is a microplane! The same person that sent me the Bundt pan as a surcie a couple months ago sent me a microplane as well (it came last week). (S)he wants to remain anonymous (we disagree on that... I think telling is half the fun!), but s(he) is sweeter than anything I'll ever make using either of those toys for and I am very grateful! I haven't been making recipes that would require a microplane lately, because most of them are sweets (bet I could find a soup recipe though!)... but I did "ruin" two oranges playing with it (I juiced them afterwards)! The handle is red, and the person who sent this to me had no way of knowing that several of the things in my kitchen are already red so it couldn't have been more perfect!

Sorry for the (lack of) picture quality... looks like the next upgrade I make should be to get a digital camera so I can stop using the cell phone for everything!

The next thing that I got was something that has REALLY helped me save energy in the kitchen. My cheap digital meat thermometer finally bit the dust. After being played with by cats, dropped once a week on a tile floor for the last year, and dropped in a pot of boiling caramel sauce, I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did! I got a probe thermometer! It was 13 bucks at Wal-mart and I just couldn't pass it up. The same model that I'd broken was 10 dollars, so for a few more bucks I thought I might as well go for the added convenience. I baked a chicken yesterday, and it was SOOOOO NICE to have that thing. I didn't have to keep opening the oven and taking the bird out. I just set it for the temperature I wanted and it beeped when the chicken was done! Plus, it's got a magnet on the back so it stays right on the fridge freeing up space in my drawer.

The final thing that I got is a bread slicing guide. I've been wanting one for YEARS. However, I can't find them at any store. I thought I was going to have to order online. I decided to put an add on Craig's List and to see if I could find one locally. In the add I said I was looking to spend 15 bucks or so. Well, a sweet lady responded who lived in my town and said she had one I could have for free if I wanted it! It was still in the box. Well, I must have spent 15 dollars in gas getting lost (thank you google maps), but I finally found the lady and got my new toy yesterday. I had to upgrade my dollar store bread knife as well, because it wasn't long enough to fit through both sides of the bread guide. Now, it matches my santoku knife , and is quite an improvement. My bread slices were always wedge shaped, but not anymore!

So, have you gotten anything from your wish list lately?

Here is a link that might be useful: I already know what I want next!

Comments (16)