SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacy_gw

Kenmore HE3 dryer motor - repair?

jacy
10 years ago

I'm fairly certain I've diagnosed that the motor on my Kenmore HE3 is shot. I have the HE3t washer as well, very early models. I've been pretty handy with them so far (I'm on my fourth thermistor and I replaced the pump on my HE3t washer and something else I can't recall) but after a YouTube/Google run on the motor replacement I think I might be in over my head. Plus, they're stacked and it's just me and my daughter.

I'm imagining a service call would prove to be one-third to half the cost of a discounted replacement, given the labor and markup on the motor? Additionally, I took a fair amount of water in my basement this summer and while the washer hasn't seemed to suffer, it was nevertheless 8" deep for a few hours so I wonder. Every now and then a sizable dribble of water will run from beneath the washer.Can't figure the common denominator on it - very random so far.

So, pay to have the dryer motor replaced (probably due for a thermistor soon, too) and keep my fingers crossed, or bite the bullet and replace both units with a new stacking pair?

These were scratch-and-dent models back in the day and I'd try to replace with same. They're in my basement laundry room, I couldn't care less what they look like. I would probably invest in a steam dryer replacement - I love to fluff and dewrinkle with a wet towel. Not so sure about a steam washer. I can get by with cheaper models, I'd think.

Any advice? Are these nearing the end of their lifespan?

Comments (4)