SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
teapotter_gw

Mixed feelings about reno in progress

teapotter
16 years ago

Well, our reno is underway, the walls that were to come out are out the bits to be built are built and the cabinets are mostly in. I am thrilled and dissappointed at the same time.

I am dissapointed that the wall construction was not completely finished. The drywall taping and patching wasn't done and the cabinets are mostly in. Now I am worried that something I don't want on the cabinets will get on them. I would have thought that we would at least have got to the stage of having primer on the walls before the cabinets went in.

On the other hand, I am thrilled that things are starting to happen after two years of planning. The cabinets are beautiful and I have spent several hours standing in the kitchen staring at them (DH thinks I'm a bit odd) but I am so worried that the other crew might cause damage. The construction contractor was recommended by the cabinet maker but the cabinet maker does their own cabinet installation. I assume that the cabinetmaker must trust that the contractor knows what he is doing and they did talk to each other about what stage things were at. So for now all I can do is hope. I was hoping to be around when the wall guys were here to finish so I could hover over my cabinets like a worried mother hen but I have to go back to work and just HOPE that nothing happens that will upset me. I thought all the planning and deciding was stressful, but I think this is worse. We still have no floor, no gas line, no countertop, no backsplash, no pulls on the cabs and a second crown moulding being made to cover up the gaps caused by my uneven ceiling and crooked wall in a few places. I think the next 3 weeks will be very long.....

Comments (6)