SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bklyn24

help with reno process... feel lost

bklyn24
12 years ago

Hi there,

We are completely new to this so apologies for being naive... but can someone please tell me what the normal process is in doing a kitchen reno?

(we do not need an architect - nothing too major but removing a non-load bearing wall)

Do you hire a designer, and then they help you pick everything out and then hire a contractor?

Do you hire a contractor, and then they send you to pick out your countertops, backsplash, etc.?

Or some other combination of ways?

We have a potential contractor and have discussed design ideas (even have a plan), but i'm not 100% sure this is the layout i want (although not sure there's much of an option), and i don't have much guidance on picking out the countertops, flooring, etc. I'm wondering if this is just how it is, and i have to do most of the legwork in picking things out on my own. Which i am fine with if that's the case. Just not great at designing and don't have a knack for this sort of stuff.

Part of the problem is that there is only so much that can be done with the kitchen space. We are not committing to doing major construction on the place like moving load bearing walls, but at the same time want the kitchen updated and functional for us before we move in. We have two small kids and don't want to do the reno with them in the house (one just a few months old)

is this just how it is with contractors? Do i want too much handholding?

can someone please advise? I am so lost on this and we don't have much time left to decide...

THX!

Comments (21)