SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lpinkmountain

Grilling sweet potatoes - any tips?

lpinkmountain
12 years ago

I have often made my version of the linked recipe below for Bobby Flay's grilled sweet potato salad. Previously not having a grill, I either boiled or roasted the sweet potatoes. Now I have a Weber propane grill with a heavy cast iron grate. It's hot as blazes here in Eastern PA, (I know, some of you have it even worse), so I don't want to heat up the kitchen any more than I have to. I want to try grilling the sweet potatoes. I've looked online at several grilled sweet potato recipes and the techniques range from boiling til cooked thru and then just glazing on the grill, to parboiling then grilling, to wrapping in tinfoil when raw and "grilling" (which to me is actually roasting on the grill) to slicing and grilling raw. I never have much luck when I try to make fried potatoes with raw potatoes, so I don't imagine I'll have much luck with grilling raw sweet potatoes. But I dunno, I'm completely new at using this cast iron grill plate. It's a marvelous conductor of heat.

What do you think would be the best technique? I'd kinda like to try parboiling and then grilling in big slices, as I am also going to be grilling eggplant and peppers and onions for another dish. But I don't want to create a mess! My grill has wide cast iron rungs, the food residue doesn't really "burn off" the way it does on the skinny metal rungs. I don't want to make a big sticky mess.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grilled Sweet Potato and Onion Salad

Comments (9)