SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lezstormes

Struggling with kitchen layout ...

Lezli
13 years ago

Hi, all. We're building our retirement home. Definitely on a tight budget. Just DH and I. I love to cook and we do entertain some. I occasionally have help with dishes while I'm cooking. I'm going to meet with the cabinet guy next week .. we found a local custom person who can do the cabinets for about what stock cabinets run. The kitchen is u-shaped, 11' wide with one 14' leg, and one 7'3" leg, plus a penninsula (drawing below). I prefer to leave the sink under the window. There is a pantry drawn to the left of the refrig that we will definitely need. The closet you see around the corner is a rear entry coat closet. It's too late to move any walls, doors, windows, etc.

Here are my questions for this experienced and extremely creative and generous group .........

1. DW - right or left of sink. On the right, it opens in front of the stove. On the left it could be in the way of some prep space, AND reduces the countertop space on the right.

2. Trash pull-out. Where? There's only 12" on each side of the sink/DW combo so will only be room for a lazy susan in the corners. No other space between the stove and sink.

3. Zones. I'm thinking that the baking and prep will need to be to the left of the sink because that's where the most space near the sink will be for storage of small appliances, knives, measuring utensils, etc. Won't be able to have any drawers to the right of the sink with the lazy susan there. If the DW is on the left of the sink, then the clean dishes will need to go on that side, too ... and silverware? That leaves the area to the right of the sink/left of the stove for cooking. Penninsula can store pot and pan drawers and ? I realize this isn't ideal because of the clean-up zone being between the prep and cooking zones, but don't see another way to do it. I'm hoping you all see things I'm not seeing!!

Will WELCOME your suggestions!!! And thank you in advance! You all are the best ........... :)

{{!gwi}}

Lezli

Comments (24)