SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fourquinn

How far to remodel and update? Use Marble

fourquinn
13 years ago

I've loved all the information I've gathered here...it's a great resource! We have a 10 year old kitchen that we don't love: Medium brown partial overlay raised panel cabinets, black impala polished granite counters and mid range stainless appliances. I would LOVE to start over with inset white flat panel cabinets, light marble honed counters, subway back splash, subzero fridge and viking range.

Instead, we are thinking about updating and spending about $25,000, but am wondering if the kitchen will still look a bit dated. We would keep the existing cabinets and have them painted white, get a subzero fridge (the cabinet surround would be changed to fit it), install daltile subway backplash, honed calcutta gold (or similar) counters and a Viking/Wolf Cooktop would be on the island.

The kitchen layout is not ideal...the cooktop would be on the island as that's where our current one is (I know this is not the norm now). We'll most likely move in about 10 years (if the right house came along, maybe sooner) when our kids are college bound. The house would sell today for about 1.4 million, so I probably could justify spending more money on a kitchen, but spending less would feel a lot better! My concern mostly is the cabinets...will they look cheap especially since they are not current in terms of style- they're raised panel and partial overlay. Also is it a huge turn off having a cooktop on an island? My fear is we'll put some money in and regret not fully renovating.

Sorry for the long post, but I'd love to get honest feedback. If I can figure out how to post a photo, I'll do so too. Thank you!

Comments (32)