SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ttodd_gw

Can You Help Furnish My Reading Corner?

ttodd
13 years ago

I am really, really bad at doing corners. Really bad. I can't ever seem to get a decent placement of things so I was hoping that maybe you guys could help.

I've been looking forward to this day since before Christmas when I could set up a reading corner in our Office. It's soooo open now (but still small by current homes today). No muss, no fuss is how I like to decorate.

Would you mind giving me your thoughts on which items to place in the corner and HOW to arrange them?

Here is the space empty (pics will continue to the floor on both walls).:

Here is the chair that I am saving up for in the space (w/ storage ottoman):

Until the day the above chair finds it way into our truck I've shopped my house and came up w/ the following items.

Here are my current options for a chair:

I would try to reupholster the rocker seat in a green velvet similar to the other chair. Do you think that would be hard?

Tables:

or

Console on short wall:

On Longer wall:

Lighting options:

Close-up

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (22)

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

I like number 3. Then number 7 when you get your white chair.

• camlan
    13 years ago

I'd use chair #2, plus table #3 and lamp #7. Cozy reading corners need a comfortable chair, and the rocker looks more comfortable than chair #1. Table #3 gives you a place to put a cup of tea or glass of water and your book, when the adorable moppet and dog need your attention. And you need a good reading light. Lamp #7 fits in better with the rest of what's going on in that corner and can be adjusted to get the best light on your reading material.

• Related Discussions

Looking for a Picture-Please read, maybe YOU can help!

Q

Comments (9)
    I even sent a note to the stylist who came here for Better Homes & Gardens Specialty Magazines.....I thought maybe, just maybe she'd know it. But no, she doesn't know either. I will have to try and find my old magazines around here. This "being organized" thing while selling your house is just a bit too much confusing for me! Lol I should say that the rectangular light's metal parts were sort of ornate. I would use those Pottery Barn ones, but I'm not thrilled with the finish. I have time. I can keep looking. But the light is such an important element in setting the tone of the kitchen, just like the counters are. (too me at least)
    ...See More

can someone help me draw one corner of my kitchen?

Q

Comments (6)
    I'm confused. You talk about the left corner...But it looks like you have a hutch on the sink wall meeting another to-the-counter cabinet next to the baking center with a dead space in the corner...So where is the space you're wondering about adding more open shelves or wine storage? Oh, wait...Maybe I understand. What I'm seeing on the floorplan is all at 2 ft deep and the uppers, being less will leave a gap...Is that it? I can try drawing it...But I can't promise it in a big hurry, because of my son's baseball game right in the middle of today, and because of Easter tomorrow.
    ...See More

Need help furnishing my studentcabin

Q

Comments (1)
    My grandsons would adore something like this! Well, maybe not the loft - a bear if one must go to the bathroom during the night or is sick.
    ...See More

Need Help Furnishing Family Room - Does my idea work?

Q

Comments (38)
    "'Which one do you like best?" Honestly, I like the single 5 seater with the two swivel chairs the most because it is open and easy to access. You can always pull chairs in from the dining room table if you need more seating for folks. But the single couch with the two chairs is really nice, balanced and all you will need for your daily use. I do like the couch with the chaise as well for daily use but then I like being able to put my feet up or even recline in the evening while watching TV.
    ...See More
  • deeinohio
    13 years ago

Chair #2 for now. Lamp #7 with your new chair. Oh, and BTW, keep the props in picture #2 regardless of your final choice.:)
    Dee

• B H
    13 years ago

#2, #3 & #7. Your little poppet & pup are adorable! I hope you get your comfy chair sooner rather than later. What a cozy little space you'll have to read. btw - I really like your B/W photos...you've given me an idea for my reading corner!

• teacats
    13 years ago

TWO choices for NOW:

A) Bookshelf and lamp #6 on right-hand wall. Add books. Lamp adds very nice lighting option for wall of photos.

B) Rocking chair plus table #3. Try both standing lamps to see which lights up the area better. IF necessary -- add large basket to hold magazines/blankie/bear for reading.

NOTE: A reading corner MUST have a place to put down a cup of tea or glass of wine -- so it DOES need a table AND/or the bookshelf. Sooooooo .... you may wish to test if the rocking chair AND the bookshelf/lamp #6 might fit/work in the corner.

Also -- when the new chair arrives .... then the standing lamps might work .... BUT you WILL need a sturdy table to hold the above-mentioned cup of tea. I wonder IF the new chair AND the bookshelf/lamp #6 might work together in the corner??

Just some thoughts!

P.S. Adorable photo of the wee child, bear and dog! :) Would make a lovely framed photo! :)

• ttodd
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay - you guys are great! Of course as I started positioning things I was like "Of course! Why couldn't I do that on my own?!".

Here's arrangement 1:

Arrangement 2:

#2 seems to have 1 foot in heavily traditional and 1 foot in transitional and I think that seems to be my style.

Also (and this is going to probably sound nuts), I like to feel enclosed and protected and I think #2 gives me that. I feel sort of like I'm hanging out in the open when I sit in the rocker on it's own.

Yes - where to place a cup of tea was on the top of my priority list!

The kids love that rocker which warms my heart since I have such wonderful memories of falling asleep in that rocker in front of a roaring fire after long days of sledding as a child and it's so comfortable. It's been passed down quite a few generations.

Somewhere I have a tiny little embroidered footstool that I often used w/ it. I think DH may have taken it to work to fix it since I can't find it.

Let me tell you - my face lit up when I used your suggestions and moved things into place and I had really been fretting about not being able to pull it off on my own! I'm so happy - thank you!!!!!

So what do you think?

Thank you for the lovely comments about Monsterella :O) and the dog! I gave up trying to wrangle them out of the photo's.

Binsd - I love a walk down memory lane when I put a book down for a moment - hence the walls of pictures.

• barb5
    13 years ago

Arrangement number two looks really nice and welcoming and comfortable.

But what I was really thinking as I looked thru your options is that I want to come shop your house too! You have some interesting stuff. I particularly like that first chair (but agree that the rocker is better for the space.) I can see that chair with a big poofy down cushion on it. And the feet are very cool!

Really like your photo gallery too....

• teacats
    13 years ago

Yes -- Number #2 -- just add child, bear, blankie and dog. And books. :)

..... and YES -- I strongly feel the EXACT same way -- I LOVE to feel cozy, protected and safe (even somewhat hidden) in a reading corner ...... snuggly and happy .....

• cooperbailey
    13 years ago

arrangement two EXCEPT make room for the floor lamp.the floor lamp with the rocker makes the corner and will be great with the someday chair.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    13 years ago

As a temporary measure, I would use the table on the short wall next to the curtain, put number 6 lamp on the left end of the table, then use chair number 1 with the back against the wall without the window and next to the table.

The white chair you are waiting for will be absolutely perfect in the area with lamp 7 and table 3, if they will fit together.

• Happyladi
    13 years ago

I like the second arrangement. Have you tried the rocker, the small round table and the white floor lamp together? Put the white lamp behind the chair and table.

• teacats
    13 years ago

Just another thought ....

IF you recover the rocker with the green velvet -- I wonder if a row of silver upholstery tacks/studs would look nice around the edges -- and pick up the silver of the lamp?

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• User
    13 years ago

I really like the 2nd arrangement. I think it reads cozier. Love your helpers. :)

• les917
    13 years ago

TTodd, I think you are headed in the right direction. I wonder if you could give us a couple of shots of the surrounding space. It that the profile of a fireplace on the left in the pix? Sitting in the corner, what is to your left and to your right?

I think #2 is getting there, but it feels kind of visually busy to me, with a lot of wood and hard edges. I know the little table is charming, and probably an antique, tho it reminds me of a Bombay piece I used to love, but I am wondering how it would feel with a tablecloth over it, perhaps something simple like linen or even muslin.

And if the silver light is staying, I think it needs to be in the center of the console table/shelf, not tucked in the back. It just feels off balance back there, perhaps because the shade is so angular, so it doesnâÂÂt feel like it cozies up to the corner nicely.

I love your house from the pix I have seen - it seems like a real comfortable, welcoming place.

• rushmom3
    13 years ago

Oh ttod, I always enjoy your posts. Love arrangement #2. I agree with Leslie that maybe a tablecloth would soften the area up. Love watching it come together!

• User
    13 years ago

I was going to suggest #2, #4 and #6 as a stopgap and then saw your photo. When you move your dream chair and ottoman into that corner I would use table #3 and light #7 behind the chair, casting light above and over your shoulder.

However, I would remove table #3 from the current configuration and replace it with a small ottoman from your current possessions... or perhaps you could go ahead and spring for the matching ottoman before you get the chair?

• B H
    13 years ago

I definitely understand wanting to feel tucked into your reading corner and feeling cozy. I do think, however, that #2 looks a bit cluttered. I can't quite put my finger on it - I think it may be the the trio of pieces that seem squashed into the corner.

I like the idea of replacing #3 round table with an ottoman. I think that would break up all that wood a little bit. You could arrange the 2nd shelf of your book case to make a spot for a tea cup. The ottoman could also serve as a little tuffet for your daughter.

• loribee
    13 years ago

I love chair #2, plus table #3 and lamp #7= 1. Your toddler is ADORABLE!

• ttodd
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey Les! Here are a few more shots of the room. I apologize for all of the pics but at mere 12'x13' it is one of our largest rooms in the house and until I figure out how to use my wide angle lens I can't get alot in one shot.

Here goes:

Upon entry into the room (double wide opening) this corner fireplae is immediately to the left (old pic):

Full on (todays pic):

Coming around Fireplace in proximity to reading corner arrangement #2:

From reading corner to game table wall & the chairs that will be used.:

From Game Table wall to next corner:

Next wall is another window just like game table window but this one takes up the whole wall then we move onto the next wall (w/ the double doorway) and DH's desk (YIKES!) that takes up all of that wall space:

Double doorway (old pic looking into LR):

Oh and Les - that probably is the exact same table! It is from Bombay Outlet! I am intrigued about the thought of a small fabric covered table.

I will fuddle w/ the light arrangement & softening up the console as soon as the arrangement is nailed down.

DS1 was very curious why there were #'s on everything so I showed him th epost after school. He read almost every post and really seemed to think about many of the possibilities before he said #2 arrangement is his favorite. DH really liked it too when he saw it.

Teacats -

I had exactly the same thought about the silver nailhead trim. It was either Les or Palimsest who had suggested the same nailhead trim for DH's desk chair when I finally settle on fabric.

Rushmom3 - that was so nice - Thank You!

I'm pretty sure the ottoman is a fair amount bigger than the rocker but I will go to the store and take measurments on it because I think that's a good idea too.

Well - of to Calico Corners to check out some linen!

• jimandanne_mi
    13 years ago

As much as I LOVE rocking chairs (I have 3, one on each floor), there's a big problem with them, especially with kids. Most rockers migrate--backwards. We used to stay at a b&b where the rocker had ruined the wall and base molding behind it from careless guests not paying attention.

We have 3 grandkids living with us who love our rockers. The heaviest one in the TV area on heavy carpeting with thick padding under it migrates the least, and also has the most space around it. The medium sized one (about the same size as yours) that was in the girls' bedroom, which has thick carpet and padding, had to be moved out to another more spacious location because it kept backing up to the wall. The small, lighter 3rd one is in the the living room, and whenever the kids are in there, I watch the rocker like a hawk so they won't rock into the chest and table nearby. This one has about as much space to rock in as it looks like yours might. When we go out of town, I hide that rocker in our WIC so things won't get wrecked.

Where is your rocker now, and have you noticed it moving around? What happens when the kids get carried away in it?

Sorry to maybe rain on your parade, but I just thought you'd rather know now than maybe have an issue with it later after all the thought that you are putting into this.

Could you get a small, comfortable glider/rocker upholstered chair that would be stationary, but maybe give you a similar feel?

Anne

• catkin
    13 years ago

I like #2 also, and agree that a softer, upholstered chair would be great. I also like the idea of a covering on the small table, maybe put a smallish floral arrangement on it--like those blue and purple hydrangeas I've seen in other pics of your home.

But--I think you should center DH's desk lamp on that oblong table instead of the one with the white shade! LOL

He'd never miss it, right? His desk reminds me of my husbands'. It occurs to me that I need to designate some personal storage areas in our home especially for him! Then there should be no excuses for all the crap he piles on top.

• juddgirl2
    13 years ago

I like the table #3 and the rocking chair until you get your upholstered chair, which would work great with lamp #7.

I really like your gallery walls!

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County