SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grlwprls

Hallway Runner

grlwprls
13 years ago

We live in an old grocery store and we created a hallway out of a room in the old shotgun residence to create a small hallway that accesses our "public" bathroom and two bedrooms at either end.

Hallway Image #1:

Hallway Image #2:

I couldn't bear to remove the fireplace that was in the bedroom (and of course, the other side is in our keeping room) that we carved up to make the hallway since we removed one old fireplace to make the kitchen functional (used the bricks to make a private courtyard off the master bedroom).

Excuse the drywall mud that my contractor allowed the drywallers to spray on the antique brick...I'm not sure how to get it off, so I've consulted a brick mason that works on French Quarter restorations of our SE Louisiana brick.

The trouble is, I'd like to put a runner in the hallway, but the area in front of the fireplace is just 2'7". Of course, on the sides beyond the fireplace the width of the hallway is 50". The hallway is a smidge over 10' long. Right now, with the gallery of my daughter's art, the LED lighting, and the snake plant, the hallway feels a bit cold, so I think a nice runner would warm up the space.

Here's our keeping room rug and the steps up into the hallway:

I'd like to buy this rug from Overstock for the hallway:

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Hand-knotted-Turkish-Burgundy-Wool-Rug-26-x-8/5543196/product.html

Of course, there will only be a 1/4" reveal to either side of the rug as it passes in front of the fireplace. It will also be a bit "off center" in the wider parts of the hall to accommodate the fireplace hearth. Of course the rug I really like is only 8'...maybe if it were 10' (not available in this pattern, of course) having a tiny reveal to the sides would be balanced?

Will this look weird? Do I just get a pass because of the accommodations one makes for living in an odd old building? Or should I maybe go with a custom cut and bound seagrass or something?

I like having rugs because we have concrete floors on the commercial side of the house (new Carribbean and antique heart pine on the shotgun side) and rugs help with both dust and noise transmission.

If anyone has had an oddly shaped seagrass rug made for you, can you tell me about the process and your experience? The know the Cote de Texas blog talks about going around fireplaces, etc. and the amount of "proper" reveal. I don't want the hallway to appear wall to wall carpeted.

Thanks!

Comments (12)