SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
doucanoe

Pressure Cooker cooking....

doucanoe
15 years ago

Some of you may recall my pressure cooker phobia from a while back. A few years ago a friend gave me an electric, programmable pressure cooker that she bought and never used.

I read the manual and realized I could not use it for canning and found myself at a loss. Many of you came to my aid and gave me ideas and inspiration, told me to use it, I would like it.

Well, I didn't use it. It has been collecting dust on a basement shelf....until yesterday. I finally put on my big girl panties and brushed it off and learned to use it!

Yesterday I made a basic Minestrone to start and then a batch of chicken broth from a carcass I had in the freezer. I have to say I was amazed at how easy it is to pressure cook, and I was thrilled beyond words with the two soups! The minestrone was done in less than 15 minutes and tasted like it had simmered for hours. The broth was soooo much richer than the broth I get when I make it stovetop!

Today I am going to try ribs. I have 3lb of spareribs that will get PC'd this afternoon. Now here's the challenge. Tim hates BBQ sauce or anything that tastes like ketchup and brown sugar. I am thinking maybe just a rub of some sort.

I found this recipe on Recipezaar, posted by Sam#3. I am thinking I like the combination but maybe with less sugar. 2 cups seems like it will be terribly sweet. What do you all think?

Spare Ribs

2 cups brown sugar

1/4 cup soy sauce

1/2 teaspoon paprika

1 tablespoon vinegar

1/4 teaspoon cayenne

1 teaspoon garlic powder

2 lbs pork ribs

Combine all ingredients and place in a covered pan in a 275F oven for 4 hours OR Place rib meat in a pressure cooker with 1 cup of water.

Once at full pressure, cook for 15 minutes.

Drain water and add sauce ingredients.

Leave on high and simmer for 15-20 minutes.

Thanks! Linda

Comments (14)

• BeverlyAL
    15 years ago

Congratulations on learning to use your pressure cooker! Now, you will wonder how you did without it.

I agree with Tim on the catsup and brown sugar thing and I think the recipe you have would have much to much brown sugar for his taste.

Here's one we like and use.

1/2 cup New Mexico chile powder (not chili powder)
    2 Tablespoons black pepper
    2 tablespoons celery salt
    1 Tablespoon cumin
    1 teaspoon allspice
    1 teaspoon coriander powder
    4 lbs pork baby back ribs

Beverly

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

Welcome to the wonderful world of Pressure Cooking, Linda! I belong to the Yahoo Pressure Cooker Recipes Group and I went there to find these recipes:

Beer Braised Barbecued Ribs

2 1/2 lbs country style pork ribs
    1 onion , sliced
    2 cloves garlic minced
    1 bay leaf
    1 whole clove
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    1 cup beer
    1 1/2 cups barbecue sauce. Use the one you like best or make your own.
    1/4 cup Dijon mustard
    1/4 cup brown sugar

Set Pressure Regulator on #3.
    Place ribs in the pressure cooker. Add onion, garlic, seasonings and beer. Cover and turn Power Level Control to Max. When pressure has been reached, adjust Power Level Control to #2 and cook 30 minutes. Release pressure gradually. ladle out all but about 1/2 cup of the beer and drppings. Remove and discard bay leaf and clove. Combine barbecue sauce, mustard and sugar and pour over ribs. Cover and turn power Level Control to max. When pressure has been reached, adjust Power Level Control to #2 and cook 10
    minutes. Release pressure gradually.
    Makes 2 to 4 servings.

These directions would need to be adjusted for you make of electric cooker.

I think 2 cups of sugar for 2 lbs. of ribs is too much.

Here is another recipe:

BBQ Pork Spare Ribs

3 lbs. pork spareribs (2 1/2" long)
    2 tsp. dry mustard
    1 tsp. salt
    2 tbsp. shortening
    1 cup dry white wine
    2 tbsp. brown sugar
    2 tbsp. soy sauce
    1 tbsp. vinegar
    1 tsp. ginger

Rub ribs with dry mustard. Season with salt. Cut into serving size portions.
    Heat shortening in cooker. Brown ribs lightly, removing as they brown.
    Combine remaining ingredients. Add to cooker, stirring to remove any browned bits from base of cooker. Return meat to sauce. Close cooker; bring up to pressure on high heat, then reduce heat to low and cook 15 minutes.
    Reduce pressure quickly by placing under cold running water. Leave valve in place until all steam has escaped.
    Makes about 4 servings.

This recipe is for a stove top PC, but you could follow directions for the first recipe for use in an electric cooker.

You might want to consider joining the Yahoo Group to get more information on using your PC and share recipes with the group.
    Teresa

• Related Discussions

Favorite okra recipes

Q

Comments (8)
    Okra in tomato sauce is a classic summer side dish here (israel, the Middle East). That's how I make it: 2 pounds okra 1 pound fresh tomatoes large onion and/or couple garlic cloves 1 hot pepper 1/3 cup olive oil 1/2 cup water Lightly fry chopped onion + garlic + hot pepper in olive oil Add chopped tomatoes + salt, cover pot so that tomatoes produce as much juice as possible, stir occasionally. This takes about 5-8 minutes add okra (the smaller pods are - the better) and 1/2 cup water, bring to boil, turn down flame, cover, cook 20 minutes to 45 minutes, depending on how soft you like your okra. Goes very well with white rice. Can be served hot or cold. It wonderful cold. I think the flavours are more palpable this way.
    ...See More

Pressure Cooker's maiden voyage fail. Advice?

Q

Comments (9)
    Ditto. Sounds like there is something wrong with that unit. I have an electric pressure cooker which I never use, but I really love the Fagor stovetop items. I have the one at the link; it's a great deal, even at full retail, but Amazon now has it for $96 including shipping. Highly recommended. As far as timers go, I have a Polder 898-90. It's about $13 at Amazon. It's about the size of a pack of gum, and has a cord so you can wear it around your neck. Foolproof. Here is a link that might be useful: Fagor Splendid multi set
    ...See More

This recipe looks GOOD to me!

Q

Comments (6)
    Thank goodness, I've already had my Mexican fill or I'd be scurrying to make Enchiladas today. We ate out Mexican Food last night, LOL! Gayle
    ...See More

RECIPE: Simple lentil soup

Q

Comments (1)
    Actually, you know what's good, is to put lemon peel in with the soup while its cooking. It gives a wonderful taste, and you can just take it out when you're done cooking. I sometime cut up a fresh tomato and put the diced pieces in the soup just as its served! Yum!
    ...See More
  • doucanoe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Beverly, what is New Mexico chili powder? All I have is Penzey's chili powder. Can regular be subbed? That looks good!

Teresa, thanks for the recipes. I have all of the ingredients for the second recipe on hand, I may try that one today. I will look into the Yahoo PC group, too! Thanks for the info!

Linda

• User
    15 years ago

Linda, Like Tim, I hate "sweet" sauces on ribs, or any other meat. Sweet for me means no BBQ sauces, ketchup, sugar, maple syrup, etc..

My favourite ribs are Greek style and Cajun style. Cooked without any sauces. Then if you want you can use your favourite dipping sauce on the side. Although totally different than grilled, I'm sure that the seasoning would work in a Pressure Cooker.

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Ribs
    ==========
    Greek

1 or 2 Racks of Baby Back Ribs
    2 to 3 garlic cloves
    dried oregano
    Juice of 1 to 2 lemons
    Lemon zest (Optional)
    salt and pepper

Mince garlic and press with back of knife to turn into a paste. (or use
    a microplane)

Rub ribs with garlic, rub on oregano, salt and pepper and lemon zest if
    using. Squeeze juice of whole lemons over ribs a few hours before
    cooking.

Note: These can be marinated earlier in the day or overnight, but do
    not add the lemon juice until a few hours before grilling or the lemon
    will change the texture of the meat.

Heat grill to high (both sides)

Place ribs on one side of grill and turn that side off. Cook, turning
    occasionally until ribs are tender.

On my grill they take about 45 minutes to an hour depending on the size
    of the ribs but could take longer depending on grill being used.

Cajun

Prepare the same way but season with

Seasoning Mix (Paul Prudhomme)

1 Tablespoon Salt
    2 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon garlic powder or rub with fresh minced garlic
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper

• lsr2002
    15 years ago

Linda, I think the recipe you posted has W A Y too much sugar, that recipe is cooking them in a sugar syrup. If you want one with brown sugar the last one that Teresa posted with 2 T of brown sugar sounds good. I have made riblets with an Asian sauce in the PC and they came out very well. I'm not sure what recipe I used.

We have made Ann's grilled Greek ribs many times, sometimes just putting the seasonings and the lemon zest/juice on about an hour before grilling while the ribs were coming to room temperature. That has become our favorite way of grilling ribs and we often served them with two dipping sauces - a sweet traditional BQ sauce that DMIL likes and a firey hot wings sauce for Max. I like them as is.

To answer your question about chile vs chili. In the Southwest generally, but not always, chile refers to one type of chile that is dried and ground to a powder. It can mean any kind of chile, sometimes specified on the package by variety or just by heat level as in Ancho Chile or New Mexico Chile - Medium. Chili powder is a blend of spices, mostly ground chiles but with oregano, cumin and sometimes other spices added. If you have the Penzey's package it will list the ingredients. You can usually substitute different kinds of powdered chiles, just watch out for the heat level and be aware that Ancho chile has been smoked.

Let us know what you do and how it came out.

Lee

• BeverlyAL
    15 years ago

Thanks for the answer Lee.

Linda, since I can't get what the recipe calls for I usually use some regular chile powder and mix some Ancho in with it.

Beverly

• doucanoe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Great! Thanks, Lee and Beverly!
    I am definitely going to try that recipe, and the Beer Braised and the Greek!

Since I had everything in the pantry, I made Teresa's BBQ Pork Spare Ribs. OMG, they melted in your mouth! Tim thought he had died and gone to heaven! LOL

Personally, I like a bit more kick, but will definitely make these again, maybe adding a bit more spice. I tossed a handful of baby red potatoes on top of the meat and 20 minutes later had a fabulous meal!

Seriously...you guys, I think this appliance may have earned a permanent spot on my kitchen counter! heehee

Linda

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

I'm glad you both like the BBQ ribs recipe. Thanks for reporting back - I'll have to try that soon.

Teresa

• arley_gw
    15 years ago

Glad you're no longer a PC virgin. (Hmm... that sounded funny, but I think you know what I meant.) I didn't get a PC until I was in my fifties, and I wish I had gotten one sooner. Can't imagine a kitchen without one.

Time to check out Lorna Sass, the head honchess (honcha? Lady Honcho?) of Pressure Cooking. Her advice is impeccable. All of her books are good, and the last one (Pressure Perfect) is very complete.

As you have discovered, the PC's forte is taking things that usually take forever to cook, and have them ready in about a third of the time.

Another PC trick which is very useful: after you serve a roasted chicken or other bird for supper, throw the carcass in the PC and add a quart or so of water, some peppercorns, an onion and and a bay leaf and place it on high. By the time you've done the dishes you have some yummy stock to use for another meal.

I make curry with about 2 pounds of chuck roast cut into bite size pieces, a cut-up onion, a cup of water and a few tablespoons of Patak's curry paste. PC on high for about 12 minutes and let the pressure come down naturally. While it might not be up to the standards of your local tandoori restaurant, it's delicious and quick and easy.

Like you, I started out with an electric programmable PC which was given to me. I got hooked, and now I have a bad PC collecting habit. I have the original 4 qt electric and have since acquired 4 stovetop items: a 4 qt pressure frypan, 6 and 8 qt stockpots, and a behemoth 30 qt pressure canner. I love them all.

If I had to choose just one PC purchase, I'd go with the Fagor Splendid Multi set. It consists of a 4 quart frypan, an 8 qt stockpot, and a pressure lid that fits them both. Not as slick and classy as a Kuhn Rikon, but seems to be just as functional--and the price is right. I paid about $100 for the set at a local department store. Well worth it. I've linked to the Fagor page describing it; I've seen it online for $100-$120. And of course the pots can be used as regular cooking pots without using the pressure lid.

• arley_gw
    15 years ago

Oops, forgot the link. Here it is.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fagor Splendid Multi set

• jessyf
    15 years ago

YAY, another PC convert! I second Lorna Sass books and Curry in a hurry. The PC is SO convenient for long time foods like artichokes, beets, beans. I have a mean sweet potato 'casserole' that is done in 13 minutes flat.

Oh yeah and Risottos are a snap!

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

While we are talking Pressure Cookers....I know it's not fall yet, but here is my version of a really good stick-to-your-ribs one-pot dinner:

Country Pork Ribs and Sauerkraut ~ stove-top Presto directions

1 1/2 to 2 lbs. pork country-style ribs, trimmed of extra fat, cut into 3-4 inch pieces
    oil  a drizzle to brown the ribs
    1 large clove garlic, minced
    1/2 large onion, sliced
    2 cups sauerkraut - drain and save the liquid from the sauerkraut
    1 TB brown sugar
    1/2 t. salt
    freshly ground black pepper
    1-2 med. to large Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled cut in 4 pieces
    1 large carrot, peel cut into 2-inch pieces
    1/2 t. dried thyme
    1/2 cup sauerkraut juice - saved from draining the sauerkraut
    1/2 cup apple juice or apple cider
    1/2 cup water

The ribs are browned in the heated PC in just a little olive oil. Then add garlic and onion on top of the meat. Mix sauerkraut, brown sugar, salt and pepper in a bowl and pour over ribs in pot. Push the potato and carrot pieces down into the sauerkraut and added a sprinkle of dried thyme. Add liquids to pot.
    Put on the lid, put on the temperature gauge and turned up the heat to medium high. After the gauge begins to rock, turn down the heat to low and set timer for 15 minutes. I stayed in the kitchen to be sure the gauge was kept gently rocking on a very low flame (gas stove).
    After 15 minutes, cut off the flame on the stove and let the pot sit for 3 minutes. Carefully carry the pot to the sink and turn on the tap for a slow drizzle of water over the pot. When the handle lock latch and the over-pressure vent go down, it is safe to open the pot and enjoy the aromas.

• gardengrl
    15 years ago

Yay Linda!!! Pressure cookers rock! Especially during the summer when you don't want to heat up the kitchen for hours on end.

If you haven't found it, go to Miss Vickie's Pressure Cooker website. I've downloaded a bunch of her recipes, plus I think she just published a book recently. Definitely worth checking out.

One of my favorite recipes is a simple, but wonderful Lima Bean soup.

Lima Bean Soup

1 lb of dried lima beans
    2 cups of precooked ham
    1 onion, diced
    2 stalks celery, diced
    3 cloves garlic, chopped
    4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
    4 cups water
    3 T of olive oil
    General Seasoning mix to taste

Sautée the ham a little in your PC, add the vegetables and sautée till soft. Add the lima beans, 4 cups of chicken broth, 4 cups of water, and olive oil (This is important! Dried beans cooked without oil will cause a lot of foaming, which is a BAD thing for pressure cookers), then finally some general seasoning (Lawry's, salt/pepper...whatever tastes good to you). Bring up to pressure, and cook for about 30 minutes, then depressurize naturally.

Here is a link that might be useful: Miss Vickie's Pressure Cooking Website

• doucanoe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry, but I'm afraid I'll have to pass on anything with lima beans or sweet potatoes! LOL

But I will definitely look for the Lorna Sass books. There are a few recipes in the user's manual, but I will need many more!

I did check out Miss Vickie's site, there is some good infor and recipes there, thanks!

Linda