SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
iambpt

How many square feet is your kitchen?

iambpt
15 years ago

Hi there.... we're trying to figure out whether we should combine two or three rooms in our current layout to become the new kitchen. Combining the two largest rooms would give us a 325 sq ft kitchen.... Is that considered big (by midwest standards)? One "problem" is that the house is nearly all floor to ceiling windows, which is great for light, but bad for upper cabinets. Our dream kitchen includes 64" of all fridge/all freezer, two dishwashers, 15" uline ice maker, and a 36 or 48" range. (we have all of the above already except the range.)

I would love to know how big your kitchens are and/or if you think of 325 feet is enough for everything we want to fit in!!

beth

Comments (41)

• Christine Decker
    15 years ago

Our kitchen is 26 x 19. That is not counting the area of transition into the breakfast/dining nook and connection to open family room/great room. I love it. It is so nice to have more than one cook/prep person and each have their own sink and dishwasher to work with. It is very comfortable and great for entertaining or just the family. Let me know if I can help in any way. Best of kitchen planning!
    Here are some pics. Click on them to see whole album
    Christine

kitchen pics of new house

• frodo_2009
    15 years ago

i do not think its to big, mines big to
    i have a couple of suggestions thou..your double dishwashers\ i like that...are you familure with the cabinet..for the wall ovens? well...use one of those to put the dishwasher in.it raises the thing off the floor
    saves the back. and your frig freezer combo love it
    get the glass front. so you can figure out what ya want
    i have about 66 sq ft cabinet and the kitchen is 280sq et
    drawers, drawers, drawers...deep ones, shallow ones,drawers
    and a 3' x3' pantry x's 2..i love it..between the sink and the island is 6' 2 people can work and walk without bumping to each other

• Related Discussions

How many square feet for 1 pepper plant?

Q

Comments (7)
    lucille, I will keep the row spacing at three feet but I will add another foot between plants. I am not short on room so I am only spacing them out to make it easier to get to them and easier to photograph. They can get by on smaller spacing if you do not have alot of room. How many plants are you going to have? Dale
    ...See More

120 Square feet Log Cabin Kitchen Remodel

Q

Comments (2)
    I don't think it looks too green at all, but I know some poplar can be a little greenish. Since you have a good relationship with your cabinet maker, maybe you can make sure he avoids the greener pieces. Of course, if you'd really like something else, you just have to convince your DH that there is more to life than just poplar and he needs to branch out. :) As far as matching, can you put samples of all your materials together?
    ...See More

How big is your kitchen as a percentage of your home's square footage?

Q

Comments (43)
    The *percentage* of house that is kitchen will vary depending on the size of the house -- and what you consider 'kitchen'. Our house 'lives' single-level -- for us. Finished stairs lead to a full-height attic that can become a second level with the addition of dormers -- for some future owner. Our 2900 sq ft home can become a 6000 sq ft home -- rooms over our finished space and over our attached garage. We built this way because our acre+ is zoned for the larger house, and most of the neighboring homes are at least that size. The 'working' portion of my kitchen is 320 sq ft. Within the room are also a desk and large buffet -- 'kitchen' becomes 370 sq ft. At one end is an eating area -- another 150 sq ft. Between kitchen and garage is a back hall -- 150 sq ft. Include what you will and get different percentages for the house as it is and as it may become. Texas_Gem -- In my area only above-ground HVAC-ed space is counted -- and taxed; no basements, finished or unfinished -- and no attics.
    ...See More

how many square feet of wall for gallon of BM Aura paint

Q

Comments (0)
    Benjamin Moore Aura paint. How much does one gallon cover, assuming I’m going from light colour to light colour paint. Thanks
    ...See More
  • rhome410
    15 years ago

Our kitchen, including the alcove for the fridge and freezer and our 4 x 3 1/2' walk in pantry, is just under 350 sq ft. We have a 48" rangetop, dbl oven, sink and prep sink, 2 dishwashers, 2 all fridges and 1 all freezer. (1 fridge and freezer are together as a set, and the extra fridge is near the bfast area and doorways to the dining room, which we use nightly) We have a 4 x 5' work island and a 42" round bfast table, and 4 ft aisles except between stove and island, where it's 3 ft. We do have uppers on 2 walls and will have a 40" wide dish hutch on one of the others.

I'm not sure if this helps, but I hope it does. Best wishes.

• Fori
    15 years ago

157.5. It's 17.5' x 9' and although I'm going to lose the eating area in favor of more storage, it's highly functional and although all the Joneses in my subdivision are going bigger, I like it.

I guess it's small.

• laxsupermom
    15 years ago

10.5'x22' and I wish it were bigger. A couple more feet wider would have netted me an island and the space to break my kitchen into really separate work zones. I think that a properly planned kitchen can't feel too big. You only get that 'she probably needs rollerskates' feeling when you walk into a poorly planned kitchen. i.e. the frig is 20' away from the cooktop w/ island between.

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

My kitchen has less than 90 sqft of open floor space with basic counters/cupboards on three sides (two closed, one open). One corner of the "U" is cut on a diagonal so I lose space there. At some point, we'll be adding a wall pantry across the walkway area / open side of the kitchen.

Want a good laugh? Just yesterday Hubby and I were looking at kitchen carts (as there's obviously no room for a real island) and he said our kitchen was "huge". My jaw dropped. This despite the fact that he and I had just recently had a discussion about how there was no room to store things or do decent prep. No wonder he and I have issues planning things. His perspective is vastly different from mine. Good thing he's cute.

• mbarstow
    15 years ago

Hi . . my kitchen is 419 s.f. but 100 of those s.f. is our breakfast room. I find that 319 is more than adequate for storage and meal prep. But, I am the only one who prepares meals, DH boils water and forgets he left the kettle on. But he does DW duty, so I'm not complaining, really.

• november
    15 years ago

Ours is 19 x 19, so about 361. We got there by turning the old family room into the new kitchen and bumping out a little bit to make it square. I love it - everyone in my family, plus visitors, can comfortably fit and hang out while we cook. Do it, if it makes sense!

• lascatx
    15 years ago

Mine is open to the breakfast room and goes on a diagonal, so without doing funny math, I'd say it's about 175 sq ft wall to wall. That doesn't include the breakfast area. About 90 sq ft is floor space. We have one completely open side and two doorways. We often have 2, 3 or sometimes 4 people working in there, and it's working well. I wouldn't mind one more set of drawers or one more cabinet for extra bakeware, but this kitchen holds more and works better than anything I've had. I wouldn't want it twice as large.

• shelly_k
    15 years ago

kitchen: 266 sq ft (19x14)
    Pantry: 35 sq ft (5x7)
    Casual table area : 160 sq ft

• furletcity
    15 years ago

Our kitchen is 17x26 after taking a wall down. The working part is 17x15 and the remaining 17x11 has the table, a hutch, a woodstove and a small cupboard. Since our remodel, we've gained an island which has really been put to good use. There is cabinetry on two perpendicular walls and a huge, vintage bookcase on a third wall. It is a little funky and a little unmatched, but I love it. I hope you can fit all that you desire in your space!

• sally123
    15 years ago

My kitchen, including the pantries and eating area, is 447 sq. ft. It is ridiculously huge. The butler's pantry and walk-in pantry alone are almost 50 sq. ft. I have 9-foot ceilings with cabinets that go all the way up and most of the top halves are empty. On Sunday we had 5 of our 6 kids, a son-in-law and 2 grandchildren here. Everyone was in there--four cooking--and it was really fun. At that moment I was glad to have it. Otherwise it is just monstrous. It didn't look that big on the floor plan. I wish I could have walked around in my house before it was built to see how it would feel, but alas. Big is wonderful, but there IS such a thing as too big.

• cotehele
    15 years ago

A wall is coming down between the existing kitchen and a small dining room. The room will be 13 1/2' x 26'. 13 1/2' x 18 will be kitchen - 243 sq. ft. A small pantry 3'x5' (15 sq. ft.) is at the far end of the kitchen.

• davidro1
    15 years ago

8 feet by 8.5 feet = 68 square feet.
    Subtract some sq.ft. for a column = 65 square feet.

It's a galley kitchen with two openings, no doors.

• charlikin
    15 years ago

Another galley kitchen here: 7'x10' for 70 sq. feet. (Actually, I'm cheating. The kitchen's only 117" long. Don't tell!)

But it's not midwest. East coast NYC coop apartment. :-)

• whidbey
    15 years ago

Well, I feel like mine is a cardboard box compared to the rest of you... mine is only 190sq.ft., not including the adjacent nook area. The size of most of your kitchens is the size of our great room... 400sq. ft.!!

cdecker1, where did you get your barstools? That is exactly what I'm looking for. :)

• joann23456
    15 years ago

Mine's 170 square feet, but it's a 100-year-old New England home. It's actually big enough, but the five - count 'em, five - doorways make arranging it difficult.

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Our kitchen is less than 200 ft2.

The "main" area is 16' x 10'6" (168 ft2)
    The pantry is 40" x 51" (14 ft2)

For a total of 182 ft2

Definitely not large, but adequate. Yes, I'd love to have a bigger kitchen so I could have a separate icemaker, beverage refrigerator, another trash pullout, and an island w/seating, but we had to work w/what we have and I'm happy with how it turned out.

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

Heh. I was waaay off.

Floor space is roughly 88" x 90" note that's INCHES, not feet. So I've got 55 sqft total of floor space.

Counting cabs, kitchen is a palatial 100 sqft.

I told you guys my kitchen was tiny. Maybe not by NYC co-op standards but indeed tiny.

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

well, gosh! I thought my kitchen was big, but I guess it's really not all that big. Total square footage (not including the pantry) is 192 sq st. The pantry adds another 17 sq ft. It's a galley, with open archs to the rest of the house. I honestly don't think I would want it any bigger than it already is. It's over 7' between the two sides and 16' long!

• charlikin
    15 years ago

Whidbey dear, you can't talk about your kitchen being a cardboard box at 190 sq. feet when your message is juxtaposed right next to Davidrol's and my 65-70 sq. ft. kitchens!!! ;-)

• afr66
    15 years ago

Mine is 17 X 16, so about 270 square feet. In that space I have a 36 inch rangetop, double wall ovens, island (6'X3') as well as what I consider ample storage for our family of four. I also have a small (42") round table and 4 chairs in a corner for seating. It would have been nice if the space was a little bigger so the island could have been a bit bigger and so I could have had more choice on the seating (round was all I could fit) but overall I am very satisfied and don't yearn for anything much bigger (to me there is such thing as too big).

• zeebee
    15 years ago

We're under 200 square feet, at 14.5' x 13.5' now. That does not include three closets, two of which are makeshift pantries and one of which houses the fridge. Oh, and a weird curved wall from the bathroom that juts into the kitchen space. When we renovate, we're hoping to carve out a more regularly shaped 15' x 20' or so.

• catlike
    15 years ago

Another small one here. Mine's an L-shape that is about 80 square feet--but well-organized. :)

• mamadadapaige
    15 years ago

mine is 11.5' x 13.5' so 155 sq. ft. -- that is just the kitchen which is open to the dining area so it feels much bigger than it is. In the kitchen space, we have a 36" range, 36" fridge, smallish sink, 24" DW, and a 44" x 74" island. The space is well organized and works like a charm. I could have had more uppers if I wanted to sacrifice my bumpout window, but I had enough storage for everything without doing that and the window is one of my favorite features. It is approximately 7' long and bumps out 8" -- this is behind my sink and prep area and creates a great space for working.

• sara_the_brit_z6_ct
    15 years ago

152 sq ft. And this is the biggest kitchen I've ever owned. My English family think it's enormous.

• iambpt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

wow.... great responses... its interesting to see the differences & perspectives. great info too... its helping me get the "big picture" in place before we start into the nitty gritty details :)

cdecker, I love your kitchen!!! (and i love the extra width of your kitchen... ours is 13.5 x 24 (if we only take over two rooms, not 3).

frodo... good idea about the wall oven cabinet for dishwasher.... i've saved that to my planning file :)

rhome, yes that helps... its similar in size & appliances. I'm struggling with these dang windows though... 18 linear feet of floor-ceiling window.:)

furlicity, sally, et. al., its nice to have some comparisons... thanks.

To all those with the small, but efficient kitchens.. I've been working in a small and highly inefficent kitchen for 3 years now... if it was efficient like yours I wouldn't have to remodel :)

keep the ideas coming, especially those with lots of floor-ceiling windows (technically they are 15 -24 inches off the floor, depending on location.)
    beth

• lascatx
    15 years ago

I refigured mine and the 175 is pretty close. That includes the pantry, fridge -- everything between the studs.

We have a 36" range top, 48" fridge, double ovens, warming drawer, micro, two dishwashers, a large sink (31x19) and a prep sink, two bookshelves, two pantries -- a 12" pullout tower and a 24" with rollouts below and a shelf above and lots of great storageIt looks, feels and works 50-100% larger than it did before the remodel. What you do with your space is at least as important as how much space you have to work with.

• ccat
    15 years ago

Our kitchen is 17x28, which is 426 sq feet. As you can tell from the previous posts square footage is not the only factor is determining the use of space. We had several issues to contend with in our design - several doorways. However, in the photos there is a door next to the black hutch and that is my 7 x 12 walk-in-pantry. So I was able to design my space without as much worry for cabinet storage space.

Here are our pics. Good luck with your design. I will tell you that I received such GREAT advice from people here, it was invaluable as we went through change after change.

ccat

Here is a link that might be useful: KitchenPics

• chefkev
    15 years ago

I expanded my kitchen here in the midwest from 115 to 165 sq feet. I opened it to the living room which allowed me to fit in a nice island. I consider it to be approaching medium sized. While I would have loved more space, by being very careful about layout, I was able to come up with something that lets me do serious cooking.

pbrisjar - let me get this straight. DH said your 55 SF kitchen was "huge"? Could he be from Tokyo?

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

Well, he did spend a year in Japan as a child (his dad was in the military). He grew up in the Philippines.

His perceptions of space are very, very different. It's caused major issues with many of our remodeling decisions.

• sailormann
    15 years ago

We don't have any children and we like to entertain so we turned the entire first floor of our townhouse into a big open kitchen/dining room/sitting area of about 600 square feet. We'll be able to seat 24 for Christmas dinner (which only happens once a year thankfully) but it is not a wide room (15 x 40) so it still feels cosy.

• sautesmom Sacramento
    15 years ago

Wow, some of you have kitchens bigger than my house--literally!
    My kitchen--bare walls, no cabinets--is 12 by 10, 120 sq. ft.

Carla in Sac

• pudleboy
    15 years ago

lascatx could you post a pic of your kitchen i want to see how you got all that in there?

• sprengle1
    15 years ago

We added 8 ft on 3 years ago to make our kitchen 11 x 21. That gives us 231 sq ft and it feels huge to me after being in the smaller, very inefficient space for almost 20 years!

• Jean Farrell
    15 years ago

Mine is about 350 square feet, including the eating area, butler's pantry and walk-in pantry, but not including the mudroom, and a hidden storage area we have behind our refrigerator for recycling etc.

It feel quite large to me, although it is much narrower than I would like, but I couldn't make it any wider, so we live with it.

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

I have "baby" kitchen to go with my "baby" house. 9 x 11. However, I did "steal" a bit from the garage so my french door fridge is flush with the cabs.

kitchen before

kitchen after

• ajpl
    15 years ago

Mine's about 160sqft. We just built the house and the kitchen isn't even finished yet but I'm very happy with the size. I also have a 6X6 walk in pantry for food storage that makes a big difference since I'm planning to have no uppers.

• victoriajane
    15 years ago

Our new kitchen is just over 500 square feet. It runs the width of the house and then some on each side. By far the largest room in the house, which is an old house with many small rooms, so I was really glad to have one room that feels spacious rather than nooky. But like ccat mentioned, square footage is not the only factor in determining usable space: our kitchen has 5 doors, 2 stairways, 3 tall windows and a fireplace. There will be lots of room for traffic, but wall space is in short supply.

• Michelle
    7 years ago

This is an ancient thread. (Hello from 2017!!) I wanted to briefly chime in for anyone perusing this thread for information regarding an older home that has like victoriajane and another poster which has lots of entryways and confusing layouts for walls. I have chosen for my guesthouse to have what is called an 'unfitted kitchen' It is well used in England. It's more like armoires and dressers look. Take a gander on the internet. Bing.com seems to have better photo selections for this than Google, FYI. I wish everyone the very best on their journey to a happy and productive kitchen and home.