SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bouvigirl75

heating confusion

bouvigirl75
16 years ago

Hi folks,

I recently posted a question about portable furnaces and wanted to give thanks for the advice not to go there.

I have been surfing the different options for heating my place and now I'm stuck in over analyzing my choices. Just don't know what to do now. To try and give a brief summary will be difficult but will try my best.

-30x70ft. log house, with one end a bay room which faces SW

-2/3 has 20ft. ceiling, 1/3 open loft, open plan with exception of the bathroom:-)))

-3ft. crawlspace, on cement foundation with a foundation wall between main section and bayrm.

-I do not need a/c but need heat. Winter temp. seldom go below 32F, west coast in Canada so lots of moisture, lots of land with a pond close by (seasonal)

-electric rate .06 per kWh, oil approx. $4 gal.($1.02 litre)

no gas avail., cord of firewood $150-180.

I have a wood fired boiler in an insulated area of my woodshed about 25ft. from the house. Water pipes go underground into the crawlspace to a Lennox AM30 air handler/hot water coil unit situated in the centre of the house with ducting throughout except the bay room :-((((

I'm getting too much grey hair to be dealing with firewood (I have lots in my forest). I do have a woodstove in the house as backup incase of power failures. When I was checking out heat pumps a few years ago, one rep. did a heat loss calculation of 56,674 BTU/hr. and a minimum 4.5Ton HP would be needed. However he said my ducting may not be big enough to handle the unit and would need to be replaced. I had another gentleman come and checked out what I had and gave an estimate of $5000 on a 3Ton HP but he just looked. I recently had this SAME guy come again and he mentioned around $12000 (up $7000) from his first quote.

This is the basic situation and find life has become too complicated with soooo many options and not enough trustworthy companies. What's an aging gal to do????

I appreciate the posts I read hear. They have both helped and added to the confusion:-)))) Thank you in advance for anyone who enjoys a challenge and would like to respond.

Judy

Comments (5)