SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kerrygw

Hardwood & Radiant Heat - Confused

kerrygw
15 years ago

Help. We are remodeling our 1906 house, and there will be radiant (quick-track w/ tubing) heat under the kitchen and the family room floors. I'm getting conflicting information all over the place about what types of hardwood would be best suited over radiant. I realize engineered would be the safest choice, but it's an old house and we'd rather not do engineered for refinishing purposes. Thus we are trying to figure out what hardwood choices we really have. Our first choice is antique heart pine in random 3-5" widths. I was told by a couple of distributors that it would be fine, provided I acclimated it to the house before installation, and that I ran the radiant heat for a couple of days before installation, to remove any residual moisture from the subfloor/joists. But looking at more options this weekend, I'm being told by other distributors that my only option is quartersawn oak, as it's the most stable, and the other choices would be prone to too much instability.

I'm not looking for perfection, I'll be quite honest. If it occasionally has small gaps, that's fine. But if it's going to warp and crack, that's not fine. Anyone out there with some words of wisdom or personal experience? Thanks so much!

Comments (2)