SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaysd_gw

Questions for Thermador Freedom Column owners

kaysd
13 years ago

My MIL can get a very nice employee discount on BSH appliances, so we plan to buy Thermador columns when we remodel our kitchen this year. The cost is still more than a standard CD fridge, but enough less than most built-in units that DH is ok with it. I just have a few questions.

1. How do the columns do with food preservation versus other brands you have owned? I've heard great things about SZ and Liebherr, but not much about Thermador's ability to preserve produce, meat, etc. Lettuce and veggies do not last very long in our current fridge, and as I do not like to grocery shop with great frequency, I am hoping for improvement in this area.

2. What size columns do you have and how does the storage capacity work for your family? Can you fit 2 gallons of milk easily? (We have a 2-year-old milk guzzler and another baby on the way.) In our last house, we had a 36" CD SxS that was 21" wide fridge and 15" wide freezer. I often wished for just a little more width in each compartment, especially the fridge. I originally planned on a 24" fridge and 24" freezer, in part because I like the symmetry. All the stores show a 30" fridge paired with an 18" freezer, and after seeing how shallow they are, I think we may need the 30" fridge for our growing family. I worry that the 18" freezer might not be big enough (probably about the same capacity as our 15" wide CD freezer). We shop at Costco, and I like to have a variety of thing on hand to cook, so I want to make sure I have enough freezer space. (Our house does not have a basement and our garage has no space for a chest freezer, which I would love to have.) I could do a 30" fridge and 24" freezer for only about $300 more, but hubby would balk and it would mean losing 6" of precious floor-to-ceiling storage space in our already limited reach-in pantry wall.

3. Have you had problems with your columns?

4. Did you go with the SS panels or custom panels? If custom, did you have any problems? (I remember someone had trouble getting custom panels to fit properly, but don't remember the details.)

5. I would love to see photos of your installed columns.

TIA!

Comments (18)