SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulguy

Did you ever do a good turn for someone ... and get a bonus?

joyfulguy
14 years ago

A couple of days before Christmas, when I had several items on my agenda ... when I went to start my car, the battery, that I usually charge some before starting out for the day, and had charged quite a lot more, that morning ... exploded!

Change of plan! I washed down several parts near the battery, to clear the acid, using a bucket of hot water. As the ignition doesn't like to fire when it's rainy, I did a lot of drying of the area, for many hours till Thursday morning, to no avail, then my landlord towed it to try to start it - no dice.

Son and his partner ferried me to their place and to a friend's for Christmas and brought me home, then on mild Sunday I hitch-hiked to church, and when I thanked the aboriginal guy who picked me up for the ride ... he thanked me for the conversation! Son picked me up at church to have lunch with brother visiting from Saskatchewan and brother and wife brought me home. Monday was a holiday and on Tuesday CAA towed me to my garage, then the driver dropped me in the nearby village.

After banking and breakfast I started to hitch-hike on less-travelled road to the city. After a few minutes, a van pulled into the side street from the direction to which I was going and opened the door, inviting me in. He turned in a nearby driveway, then pulled in to the wrong side of the street, near where I'd been standing ... and beside the house facing on the main street.

He got out and carried on a rather animated conversation, with some smiling, etc. with a woman in the back yard of the home.

After a few minutes, when he returned to the van, he told me that the woman had been a school-mate 30 years ago and that he hadn't seen her in years (since school?). In any case, he'd known that her mother lived there, but I'm not sure whether he knew that the former schoolmate did.

So - I'd say that he got a bonus for his kindness in coming back to pick me up!

He dropped me at the downtown area of a suburb, I walked to my friend's home, member of the executive of our city and former candidate for a seat in Federal Parliament. Wrote some cheques for political contributions and her husband, a distant relative, was going to drive me home.

Wanting to make contributions to several charities through our community foundation, whose office is downtown, I'd expected to take a bus downtown and then another to the edge of the city nearest my home ... but he generously took me downtown (he planned to do some grocery shopping for their New Year's eve party with friends), then took me home.

On Thursday, another mild day, I hitch-hiked to get my car and, among other things, bought a box of cookies and a couple of double pizzas at the grocery ... and gave the political lady her choice (she took deluxe pizza) then offered a choice to my neighbour who's given me sewing machine advice and they've been kind to me - she took the other pizza.

So I had the box of cookies to bring home.

But - I still say that the guy who came back to give me a ride got a nice bonus for his kindness.

And the neighbour couple who've been good to me gave me the devil for not calling upon them for transportation ... but I've been nursing that near-dead battery for about a year, and he's been kidding me ... and advising me ... that it's time to get a new battery! (Can anyone here say, "underwear"?)

I said, laughingly, that hearing me tell myself, "I told you so!" was enough, but that I'd be embarrassed to ask for his help, after having received all of that good advice!

Actually, I had a replacement battery ready to install.

When I consider that I'd considered renting a car for a few days over Christmas ...

... I was remembering Grandma's observation, that sometimes we can be " ... penny wise ... and pound (i.e. dollar, in our context) foolish!".

Sometimes the game of frugal can bite one's behind, in the end!

In my defence ... I claim that major part of the game is not to waste resources: they are scarce ... and precious. Wait until the rest of the world tries to live as we have: that'll be a whole new ball game, which some say would require the resources of four planets like ours to fulfill (and we won't be cock of the walk, any more).

I hope that you all have a wonderful New Year!

ole joyful

Comments (4)