SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
naplis_gw

Washers, agitator vs. HE

naplis
15 years ago

Can anyone explain exactly why washers with agitators have become "undesirable". I got caught up in the front loader craze, originally on the hope that I could wash my bulky comforter. I've had the Bosch Nexxt 500 for almost a year and have been miserable with it. Since I'm really not here to complain, I want and need advice, I'll try to make the long story short: My clothes were not getting clean. Soil would not come out. Towels smelled moldy after the most vigorous wash. Bosch sent an independent Serviceman who determined that the washer wasn't filling up with an adequate amount of water, even for an HE. He replaced the water valves and the pressure switch per Bosch's instructions. Nothing changed. Bosch customer service gave us their rehearsed runaround so we went back to Lowe's who took it back, no problem, even after 11 months. Kudos to Lowe's. They offered us our money back but since I need a washer, I decided to give them the sale. The serviceman Bosch sent to our house said in his experience, people with soft water were never happy with the HE washers. He recommended the Fisher-Paykel AquaSmart because it is a top loading HE (no agitator) with override for a traditional (water) wash. We do have soft well water. I wish I had seen that warning in the Bosch literature or on the forum. What I have seen here, is the best reviews seem to come from owners of the Fisher-Paykel washers with the agitator. I think they're called EcoSmart and they are a couple hundred dollars less than the AquaSmart.

So, why shouldn't I get that, instead of the HE? I've forgotten why I wanted an HE in the first place...my comforter never saw the inside of the Bosch. I'm starting to think the HE craze was created by Ad Men and I've been following like a lemming. Anyone? Thanks.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths