SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arbpdl

Need Photo Inspiration

arbpdl
11 years ago

I have a standard "front door opens in to the living room" ranch layout in my townhouse. I would really like to somehow provide a little privacy so that everyone who comes to the door (i.e. ex husband to drop off our daughter) isn't right in the middle of things.

I thought about bifold doors but I have shutters on the windows which are right next to the door - I'd have to be careful not to fight the pattern on the shutters which are a dominating presence in the room.

I don't really have room for a bookcase, although that's what I'd really like. I guess maybe I could have someone build me one that is extrememly shallow ....

I also thought about hanging a curtain, but I don't want it to look cheesy and I'm afraid that's what I'd end up with.

I'm on a bit of a budget but would really like to find something.

Suggestions? I googled but what I found were either diy corkboard types (not really nice enough for the living room) or things that had too big of a footprint.

My decor is somewhat french country. Suggestions? I thought about one of those "photo screens", but they are kind of modern looking for my taste. I could always paint and distress it, but still the lines are pretty contemporary. Besides, I don't like the idea of it being that much of a focal point. I sort of envisisoned something that kind of blended in and didn't take away from the other things in the room.

Comments (61)

• arbpdl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

If I swap them, I don't have room for the darling antique desk I just picked up ($25, can you say happy dance???) and that desk is a rather important piece for me.

I used to have it arranged with the back of the couch at the door but it didn't do anything about the view. I'm not so much interested in defining the space from a design point of view, it's more of blocking nosey people's view of our family and home space. Make sense? So whatever I do, it needs to be 6' tall. Really only about 3 to 4' out would be more than sufficient.

I'm loving this, wondering if it could be done as a freestanding unit instead of a wall mount.

• arbpdl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

another bookcase type, simple but very nice

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1545742}}

• Related Discussions

Inspiration photos

Q

Comments (3)
    Here are some from the small message board a few HGTV refuges started (not trying to compete, just be an alternative where it's easier to post pics). Here is a link that might be useful: Bathroom inspiration thread
    ...See More

Can I modify the cabinets on my inspiration photo?

Q

Comments (13)
    Thank you, they are helpful. The cabinets will be about the width of the drawer stack in the second photo. Interesting how they tiled the counter in the first photo--we talked about that since it's only a 15" W counter. It looks nice and makes sense to let the tile guy do it all. Because of the size of the bathroom and the modest contemporary home we live in, our sink won't be as much of a statement as shown in most of the Houzz photos. We have been looking at the Kohler Cimarron. It's 19" deep and we hope to bring the cabinets up to the curve. I don't know the depth to the curve, but if it's ~ 16" we can order Conestoga RTA cabs, which come 16" deep with the 15" Blum soft-close glides.
    ...See More

Need Inspiration Photos/Ideas For This Particular Section

Q

Comments (7)
    The peninsula depends: we can either leave it as-is and extend the counter top however far we want - maybe with supper of pillars? OR, we can use the 24" base cabinet on the peninsula, turn it sideways, and then extend the peninsula after that (does that make sense?? We'd replace the 1'5" cab with the 2'4" cab (which is really 24" plus 4" filler panel), then use the 1'5" cab - which is really only 1' with a filler panel - facing outwards on the peninsula), which would not extend it super far⦠maybe not quite a foot? and add some open shelving - But then we can extend the counter another foot or more⦠What do you think? Completely different cabinets on the desk wall due to the height difference. Or maybe a piece of furniture⦠We could re-use the wall cabinets in the laundry area or elsewhere⦠The desk area is as far as the sink from a water source, but I don't think we'd need one? Cleaning supplies can be stored in what's going to be a pretty large laundry area off the garage, so we don't really need to account for that here (aside from what's going under the ridiculously huge 4' sink base). :)
    ...See More

Janice's inspiring garden photos?

Q

Comments (2)
    Corrine, you might search for Hey_J (or that might be a small J). She comes the closest to what you describe that I can identify. You can use google to do a thorough search. Put hosta, gardenweb and hey_j as your search terms and you should find what you're looking for. Someone else may give you a better lead. bk
    ...See More
  • sail_away
    11 years ago

I like your first picture of the shelving unit, as well. You might check Ikea, as I believe they have some low-cost, open shelving that might work. My only concern would be making sure that the shelving is stable (perhaps anchoring to the wall).

• bestyears
    11 years ago

You know what I think would look neat and be super functional? Some kind of a hall tree/butler type thing. I swear I seem them on CL all the time. It has a tall back, with hooks on either side, and then a couple of drawers on the lower part. Obviously it couldn't be too deep to work there, but I think it might be worth looking into.

I found a link to a DIY one, which is intriguing because you could customize it to fit the space, and probably do it cheaply too.

You'd have to do something on the back of it, but I think that would be fairly easy -perhaps just cover the back with linen and hang a framed picture on it, or use the back as a display area by putting shelves on it?

Here is a link that might be useful: Hall Tree

This post was edited by bestyears on Wed, Jan 9, 13 at 14:18

• always1stepbehind
    11 years ago

I'm assuming that is your front door in the right of the picture? Honestly I don't think you're gonna be able to put up something that will provide that much privacy...I have the same situation whether you came into my condo from the front door which we don't use or the patio french doors that we do use as our entrance. Whoever comes in, my ex included is right there in the living room.

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

Beth, What about using cubes? You can buy these at Target, Lowes, etc.

Here is a photo of more expensive cubes but wanted to show you how you could set them up.

Here is a link that might be useful: cubes

• tuesday_2008
    11 years ago

I understand wanting privacy, but do you really want to erect a "wall" that close to the end of your sofa? I think that would bother me more than people being "in my space".

If I had to have some type of barrier, I would choose the open bookshelf you posted and I would want a lot of open space showing through the shelves (as shown in your inspiration pic). Visitors would be able to see into your living room, but it would still provide a "barrier".

• arbpdl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

bestyears, that's so funny because actually, I bought one of those for this purpose. I measured carefully but when I got it home, even though it "fit", it didn't really "go". I ended up moving to to another wall where it looks out of place and is pointless. I have it for sale right now.

always1stepbehind, my next door neighbor (we all have the same floor plan, she's my mirror) has a wrought iron screen she got at hobby lobby and it's perfect. When you go in her front door, you cannot see anything other than the tv cabinet and the stairs (which is also how I have my tv laid out). You have to take a couple more steps in to see the seating areas. I was going to just get one of those but I was afraid of it tipping with my 5 year old running in and out.

• arbpdl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I really don't have enough room for the cubes, I'm needing to keep the footprint down to 6 or 8 inches max. Most cubes are 12" to 16" and have a fairly modern look.

I'm leaning towards having a very shallow bookcase built. I'm chatting with a couple of handymen now to see if it's feasable. I may decide to wait until income tax comes back and have one of them built the way I really want.

• Vertise
    11 years ago

It looks very tight to have any kind of divider. You mentioned fabric, maybe a softly draped sheer hung from the ceiling, or sheers with beads if you like a Bohemian look. That would be the only thing I could live with that close to the small seating area. Not sure if it would look alright and can't really see the whole space but I have seen things done like that which were pretty cool looking.

• matildajane
    11 years ago

Not all fences are friendly. Is it possible to incorporate a living partition comprised of tall, low maintenance plants? This photo doesn't convey exactly what I'm suggesting, but it hints at it. Planters come in all prices, sizes (and height!) I'm thinking of several tall, can't kill varieties that would add warmth to your space while softly privitizing your livingroom.

• arbpdl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was thinking a curtain, but only if it could not look cheap/cheesy. I can't find any photos except those spanning an arch or some other wall to wall area. I would just be going out 3 to 4 feet.

A 6" deep bookcase would be very cool. I have several antique books that were my grandmothers that would look awesome on display, along with an old school bell that was my great grandmas and a few other little trinkets from relatives past. Those items would look nice from either side and fill in enough visually to obstruct, or semi obstruct, the view. At least enough so I felt like I had an entryway.

I was just looking for more photos for inspiration, as well as less expensive ideas.

There's one of those folding photo screens on craigslist now for $20, and it's the right size (larger than the ones you usually see at target, etc). I could always use crackle paint to make it look old, put on some wood appliques, ect but that's a last resort or maybe a temp solution until I can afford a custom built bookcase.

• DLM2000-GW
    11 years ago

You need panel curtains from Ikea hung from the ceiling! They are wonderful - I made my own roman shades out of one of the woven ones. Great price point, virtually no footprint and as much privacy as you could want. If you set it up right, you can close them up when not needed so the space is almost fully open again.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ikea panels

• Olychick
    11 years ago

Have you seen the sliding panels that ikea sells. Looks like it might work for you. You could have them stacked back just one width and when you are expecting ex or others that come to your door, you could easily slide them over a bit. I'm not suggesting this pattern, I think you can use any fabric you want or they have a good selection of other choices.

Here is a link that might be useful: ikea panel curtains

• susieq07
    11 years ago

You could make a frame with a wider base and add shutters to it, so it would match your window more or less? you could even cut them in half to make a shorter devider.

• minty88
    11 years ago

You could try putting an artificial plant or a real one there.

It might look something like this:

• bestyears
    11 years ago

If you do decide to have something built, you might think about copying what I had done in my kitchen. What was an annoying half wall became a built in shoe cabinet. If you didn't want to do it deep enough for adult shoes, you could make it 6 to-8 inches deep, with one shelf for little shoes, plus hooks for purses and backpacks.

Here's a picture of mine.

• minty88
    11 years ago

I like the idea of a sliding panel mentioned above.
    And it could be pulled close to the wall when not needed.

It would roughly (very roughly) look something like this:

• badgergal
    11 years ago

There are lots (more than 300) of folding screens available on overstock.com. Some are available in different sizes
    They don't take up much room and are relatively inexpensive. It can easily be removed if need be. I use one to divide off a storage area in my lower level and it works great.
    Here are a couple of the many options
    {{gwi:1545786}}
    {{gwi:1545790}}
    {{gwi:1545793}}
    Or blank canvas that you can paint or decorate yourself:
    {{gwi:1545795}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Folding screen dividers

• matildajane
    11 years ago

Sliding panels are a wonderful suggestion but I would think twice before mounting anything on the ceiling unless you're convinced it'll be around for awhile. It's no picnic to patch and paint a ceiling unless you're going to pay somebody else to do it. I'd like to see something sturdy placed to the left of the sofa, low enough that it doesn't interfere with the nearby light switch. This unit at KMart is $89 and is 11.5" deep, 31" wide, 34" high. Anything less wide would be too wobbly to consider unless you bolt it too the wall and/or floor.

• arbpdl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow, a bunch of great ideas. Thank you all so much. I'm going to look all of these over, as well as check out the patterns and styles from the links. I do like the plant idea. I've seen some "living walls" before but they looked too complicated. Just doing various planter sizes though isn't something I'd considered.

I actually have a very nice oak bookcase that fits nicely next to the sofa arm where I would put a divider ... maybe a few cute planters on top of that might be nice and give the illusion of an actual entryway. In fact, I've been in absolute love with these pots but had no where to use them. Maybe I could do a grouping of them on top of that shorter bookcase (see link below for the pots I've been drooling over for awhile now).

I haven't lived anywhere with a layout where things just open right up like this. I know it's common, but it feels strange and uncomfortable to me. I grew up in a farm house with an entry, moved to a split entry, then to a huge modern house with a formal entry and then to a 120 year old formal Victorian with a large formal entry and wide hall.

The Victorian, by the way, is for sale hint, hint, hint.

Anyway, I've decided that in order to be at home, one must FEEL at home. That doesn't have to mean a huge expense or fancy decorating, but it means, at least for me, identifying what makes me happy and what makes me unhappy and doing what I can to fix the latter. And this "everyone who comes to the door sees everything - whether it be kids in pajamas or toys on the floor or whatever" is definitely an unhappy and uncomfortable point for me.

Here is a link that might be useful: French style shabby pots

• farmchic
    11 years ago

These would be mounted to the wall or a board that is attached to the wall. I'm sure they come in different widths.

• farmchic
    11 years ago

Or how about looking for a used DVD/CD shelf? Could be painted to match your room.

• arbpdl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oooh, I like that. :) Where did you find that? I found one on ebay similar for $200

• arbpdl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, what a brilliant idea! I'd have to do something about the finish though since it's not real wood, but I half way expected to need to do work anyway to make it fit in. This is a great size and fits my budget.

Here is a link that might be useful: This one!

This post was edited by beth0301 on Wed, Jan 9, 13 at 21:05

• matildajane
    11 years ago

If you consider plants as the primary barrier between your front door and living room, I suggest a heavy base planter with moisture barrier to protect floor (possibly rectangular with the planting level about 8"-13" from the floor). Sansevierias are a wonderful plant: very easy to maintain, impossible to kill, unique in appearance, and known to improve air quality. (The leaves/soil can be toxic to kids/pets if eaten.) Maximum growth stops at 2'-3'.

• matildajane
    11 years ago

Keep in mind the light switch on the wall between the living room and the front door. Presumably people on both sides of that switch will want to use it -- that won't be possible if you install something high against the wall.

• Tmnca
    11 years ago

What about a hall tree - useful to put items on, and could provide a barrier...

• cindyloo123
    11 years ago

I don't think you can put anything on the floor that will be stable enough. I think fabric is your best solution. Use Ikea's wire "rod" and you will only have a few tiny holes in the ceiling. You can mount one side to the wall and the other to the ceiling. Ikea's panels are great but you might take the opportunity to find fabric in a color or print that adds to your FC style. And if you tie the panels back about 3' up from the floor, it will block the view and look like a portiere.

Here is a link that might be useful: [Curtains as room dividers[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/divider-curtain-phbr0lbl-bl~l_37201)

This post was edited by Cindyloo123 on Thu, Jan 10, 13 at 1:56

• vsalzmann
    11 years ago

The wall unit made out of a pallet that you posted above reminded me of this picture. It's just 4 pallets (you could probably find for free) hinged together. You could stain to match your decor.

• geokid
    11 years ago

I like the lattice idea too. Maybe something like in this picture.

{{gwi:1545805}}

Source: bhg.com via Arleen on Pinterest

You could hang planters or artwork from it. And I think the square lattice is less busy than the diagonal lattice. You could even wrap one side with fabric if you're afraid it will compete with the shutters.

If you wanted more stability, you could place the short bookcase you said you already have either behind or in front of the panel so the lattice couldn't swing.

You said your neighbor has a solution that's perfect. Can you somehow make it work for you? What does the iron panel look like? Maybe we can figure out how to secure it. Again, behind or in front of a low bookcase?

• anele_gw
    11 years ago

Is it possible to change the function of the room and swap it with another? I had the very same issue in my last house. Before buying it I insisted I needed an entry, but it was impossible to find in our price range. Like you said, we were always on display, which is not fun with young children.

This did not help with privacy, but for the coziness factor I had an end table with a lamp at the entry. Made me feel a little less like I was about to fall outside.

• geokid
    11 years ago

You know, ix-nay the hanging lattice idea. It feels wrong for your space. The lattice part would work, but not the hanging part. I don't think. Something more along the lines of a folding divider that wraps the wall in that corner.

Could you rotate furniture so that the sofa faces the blank wall with its back to the entry and the love seat where the sofa is. TV on the blank wall. Your new desk where the TV is. Then you can have a screen divider behind the sofa in the corner by the door.

One last idea. Your hall tree next to the door with the TV in the corner behind it. It would block the back of the hall tree so it's not just a wall of wood. Then rearrange your furniture around the new TV placement.

• geokid
    11 years ago

You know, ix-nay the hanging lattice idea. It feels wrong for your space. The lattice part would work, but not the hanging part. I don't think. Something more along the lines of a folding divider that wraps the wall in that corner.

Could you rotate furniture so that the sofa faces the blank wall with its back to the entry and the love seat where the sofa is. TV on the blank wall. Your new desk where the TV is. Then you can have a screen divider behind the sofa in the corner by the door.

One last idea. Your hall tree next to the door with the TV in the corner behind it. It would block the back of the hall tree so it's not just a wall of wood. Then rearrange your furniture around the new TV placement.

• cindyloo123
    11 years ago

The pallet screen would be very heavy and therefore dangerous.
    If you wanted to use lattice or some other panel type screen, instead of hanging it from the ceiling you could attach it to the wall with hinges. That way if anyone knocked into it, it would just swing to one side or the other rather than breaking or tearing the wall apart.

I think the treatment most appropriate for French Country would be the portiere type tie back drapery.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the space!

• farmchic
    11 years ago

beth0301- I just found that cd shelf by searching google images. I see them once in a while at our local Goodwill so if you can check around at second hand shops that would be your least expensive route. I don't think it's as pretty as some of the other ideas but could be a quick fix until you can decide on something nicer.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I think Candice Olson did a number of beaded curtains as a scrim...though this is from another source

• arbpdl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I want to thank you all for so many awesome ideas. Even the ones that wouldn't work did inspire me to think about things that wouldn't have occurred to me and may help in the future with something else.

I believe I've made a decision and will post pictures as soon as I can. I'm down to one child this weekend so hopefully I can get something done (although some times one is worse than all of them because it's the youngest, 5, and she gets bored and may need more attention than usual)

I truly am thankful for everyone's response. The ideas were all great and like I said, even the ones that won't work in this instance may work in the future so I'm saving all of these ideas. I'd like to divide my basement off in to two sections. I'm not sure how long I will live here so was considering doing something less than permanent so I could take it with me (or sell it) if I move, as opposed to a permanent construction that would have to stay with my unit. It's a coop townhome.

Wish me luck, off to start!

• xoxogg
    11 years ago

Honestly, I wouldn't chop up my house like that. I like the feel of a house that flows. Does it really matter that your ex can see where you live? I know there will be others at your front door. Your friends I assume will be welcomed. The fed ex, UPS, ect. have been to so many doors they aren't going to give it much though. So, that leaves you. What do you really want? Will it feel different in a good way? Could it break up the flow and feel awkward? Cramped?

Just my honest opinion.

• wantoretire_did
    11 years ago

Everyday lurker here. I just came across this - love the idea of the fabric covering a couple of lower shelves. Really softens the whole thing :-)

Here is a link that might be useful:

• peegee
    11 years ago

I understand the need for privacy and desire to rectify the living-in-a-fishbowl feeling one may have in a busy area from a door that reveals all, when one has been used to and values greater levels of privacy. It certainly is a personal issue and for those who love privacy, it would be like suggesting they buy a house on a corner lot with a totally open backyard with an elevated totally exposed deck close to the road----yet some people would love it or maybe not give it a second thought. But others might have to figure out a way to fix it or never step out on the deck!
    When I lived for several years in your situation, I was happy to devise a somewhat awkward set-up with a large wood closet and was thrilled with the result. I know you want something smaller, Beth, and I'm sure you'll find what works for you! I like the idea of utilizing a bookcase and attaching something to the back like your matching shutters to make a free-standing unit (which wouldn't introduce another element to the room). Good luck!!

• faux_natic
    11 years ago

just did this to my mom's entry. three ft. tall bookcase, 48" in length, opening to the living room side. open side to living area holds family photos and couple of nick knacks. top of book case has three very nice planters with full plants. back of book case, the side that shows at the front door, has wallpaper that coordinates with her furniture, window coverings and area rug. when standing at the front door you no longer 'fall' into the living room. the book case is not such a barrier that it closes up the living room- still open and airy in the living area but a blocked view of the living area floor and people sitting on the couches. the plants add a really nice touch.

• nosoccermom
    11 years ago

I'd use a book case that's open to both sides, perhaps with cabinets at the bottom that can be opened from the entry side. Or IKEA Expedit as room divider. It now comes with doors.

Here is a link that might be useful: EXPEDIT divider

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

The problem I see is that anything high enough to block a view from the door creates a safety worry. With little ones, tall items like book shelves are best when anchored to a wall. I agree with Gina and would leave it as is since you don't have much extra space.

This post was edited by cyn427 on Sat, Jan 12, 13 at 21:40

• nosoccermom
    11 years ago

You can anchor it to the wall on the side of the bookcase.

• arbpdl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Everyone was so wonderful with all of their suggestions I just thought I'd share an update.

I decided to do a trial run and see if I really wanted a wall there. I was sure I did, but so many people had questioned it, I figured better safe than sorry. So, the other evening I drug my old long skinny table top (which is 30" X 72") from the basement and propped it where the wall/divider/whatever would go. It wasn't what I wanted of course, but I figured I'd live with it for a day or two and then see how it felt.

I loved it. It wasn't quite wide enough but it did a good job of making the south side of the room feel more private. I moved it away from the wall 8" and that was just about enough to make the other half feel more private too.

So, I set out to find the right divider. The day I was set to actually plunk down some cash, I woke up with a migraine and couldn't go. A few hours later, the realtor called. You see, I'm living in this apartment because my beautiful, wonderful, grand house is for sale. It's been on the market over a year without a single legitimate offer (there were two low ball that weren't even worth negotiating).

The first few months I lived here, I didn't want to do anything because I just knew the house was going to sell and I'd move. Eventually I came to the realization that even if/when it sold, we'd had to come down so much on the price that by the time an offer was negotiated out, I probably wouldn't be able to buy anything livable with the proceeds and I might as well make this "home".

Well, if you wanna make God laugh, tell him your plans because as soon as I planned to fix this apartment up and stay here, the house sold for our full asking price! Ok, the asking had been reduced, but still ....

So, I've decided not to buy anything for now. I'm still going to continue with projects I have started (such as my half painted bathroom and my half-done-trying-to-build-my-own-faux-fireplace-project) but I'm not starting anything new or buying anything.

In a couple of weeks, if the deal is still looking like it's going to go through, I'm going to start house shopping!! I've already done some internet shopping and have found 3 in my price range that I could really see myself in. None are any where near as nice as I've had, but it will be MINE again and I'll be free to do as I choose instead of having to make everything I do temporary and in accordance with coop rules.

So, stay tuned for house shopping and then decorating! I'm excited; can't want to have a new project to do, top to bottom, any way I want!!!

• matildajane
    11 years ago

This is a fabulous outcome, Beth. I hope it's smooth sailing to the settlement table!

• cindyloo123
    11 years ago

That is great Beth. I know it must be a huge relief to you. I am typing with my fingers crossed for you!

• arbpdl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, thank you! I've learned so much about myself, about my style and about how-to over the past 3 to 5 years just from trying things, hanging out here and reading blogs ... I'm anxious to put it all to use. I'm actually so excited I can hardly contain myself.

I hope you all don't mind if I drag you along, virtually of course, as I house hunt and plan!

• cindyloo123
    11 years ago

We would hate to be left behind!

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living