SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19697693

Can I modify the cabinets on my inspiration photo?

User
9 years ago

We decided to switch our 60" two-sink vanity to one sink to gain drawer and counter space. I'd been drawing up vanity ideas that minimize the wasted sink base when I realized a pedestal sink might be the answer. I found an inspiration photo on Houzz, and DH loves it. It's his bathroom--I use the guest bath which is just outside the MB. It has a conventional vanity and a linen closet.

While I love the open cabinets, we need drawers, and we need deeper cabinets to accommodate drawers. With a 24" pedestal sink, I can fit two 15" wide cabinets on each side of the sink, giving us (and future buyers) his and hers cabinets and countertop. The cabinets would be 15" wide X 34" tall. Depth would be determined by available drawer glides, but I'd like the front of the sink to sit proud of the cabinets. Or should it by even with the cabinets? The sink is 18 1/4" deep x 34" tall. We'd tile behind the sink as shown, and extend the wall tile behind the cabinets as a backsplash.

Will this look as good as my inspiration photo or is all the charm in those open cabinets and exposed tile? You won't see as much of the tile because of the deeper cabinets, and they will also be closer to the sink (planning on 2-3" of space between sink edge and cabinet). We'd top the cabinets with stone and use beaded inset cabinets, so the focus would be more on the cabinets and sink. No idea on the tile but will use the same tile on the shower surround since it's a small room.

Contemporary Bathroom by South Burlington Design-Build Firms Peregrine Design Build

Comments (13)