SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
remodelfla

Ultracraft vs. IKEA... thoughts?

remodelfla
15 years ago

Well... we went to a lumber yard/design center today and looked at the Ultracraft. Very strong contender. I have to go to IKEA with DH so he can compare construction. We went awhile ago but he really doesn't remember. I think he was just humoring me that day since we were so far away from being ready. Obviously, Ultracraft will be more $$ but that's OK since we don't need a whole lot of cabs. I definitely want frameless and wide Shaker style. What I liked about the Ultracraft from a design standpoint is: the door style I liked (called Stickley), a wide rail/stile with a reversed raised panel solid wood door as opposed to a veneer panel. The benefit to that (to my untrained mind) is heaviness/stability of the center panel and the fact that the finish stain would be the same as the rails/stiles. The line comes standard with full extension/soft close. The place throws in soft close hinges as standard. The other benefit to Ultracraft over IKEA is that Red Birch is available; which I think is a gloriously beautiful wood. The other lines I was considering from MKFUSA I found were face framed... don't want that. Here's a sample of what the door looks like Red Birch. It also comes with one stain option which I would use... it just darkens it a hair.

{{!gwi}}

The IKEA door I'm considering is Adel Beech. The rails/stiles aren't as wide which bothers me some. I'm really drawn to the very wide framing. I haven't found a door manufacturer (not even Scherrs) that makes one I like as much that I could use on an IKEA cab. Benefit to IKEA, highly recommended, $$,... hardware.

OH! Ultracraft includes finished end no charge.

Thoughts?

Comments (15)