SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chrisk327

Scherrs vs Ikea vs Kraftmaid or other

chrisk327
14 years ago

So, I'm switching houses, this time we're doing a whole house remodel. I'm excited and scared at the same time.

Either way, a new kitchen is coming, along with a lot of other house expenses. We want something that is budget friendly, doesn't have to be completly budget material.

I have Ikea currently, love the drawers, pantry and accessories. Not going to do the white painted doors again. Of the wood, we only "like" the Adel Medium brown, and are not in love iwth it the wood looks a little dead. May be an option but not first choice. Our old kitchen, which was done in ikea, I spent about $3500 on all the cabinets including a pantry wth pullouts.

How much do the other cabinet manufacturers cost? my inlaws paid about 10K for cherry kraftmaid cabinets for their kitchen, doesn't seem like a lot of cabinets, and low on options. The home depot guy did his kitchen with his discount at $12K and showed me the pictures of his small-medium kitchen. I was shocked at the cost.

I have more cabinets in my current kitchen and the new one should have a few more.

my question is

If I want a flat panel door, in cherry, with drawers and full extensions, what range should my budget be in?

I was origionally thinking I would be doing this for 8-10K essentially double to triple what ikea would run. Now it sounds like 15-20K.

I haven't gotten quotes yet, I'm still working on my plan. I'm just trying to see what I should be expecting. with the large discounts off of MSRP, and crazy upgrade costs, it seems very difficult to see if you're getting a fair deal.

I was considering Scherrs, are they any cheaper? I know they are high quality and custom. Quality I care about, custom not as much my kitchen can draw within the lines of a normal non-custom places.

What other frameless manufacturers are there?

Comments (33)